Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 month, 3 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
August 25, 2020 at 12:16 am #6863169

maxineE-2

Hi WPML.

General question about WPML and Yoast SEO page meta data, title, ect.

We are in the process of exporting pages and giving them to a translation team and then import them. I know there can be errors when changing the content of the default language before things are re-imported in, but is it ok for people to continue to change SEO on the page thats in the process of being translated?

August 26, 2020 at 10:10 am #6875963

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hello,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve the issue.

To help you faster, I've enabled debug information for this support ticket. Please see this link for how to get this information from your site and give it to us: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Which tool you are using for exporting & importing the contents? It will be great if you can share the exact steps you are following for a better understanding of the requirement.

Please note, we can export & import Post contents and its translations using WP All Export & WP All Import. It will support Yoast also. Refer to the following documentation for more details and let me know your feedback.

https://wpml.org/documentation/plugins-compatibility/export-multilingual-websites-using-wp-all-export-wpml/

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

hidden link

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 26, 2020 at 4:01 pm #6879125

maxineE-2

Hey Bigul thanks for the reply. We do the process via extracting xliffs to the translation company, they translate, and then we import them when they're sent back.

Will the translation still stick if Yoast SEO is changed on the default language before it's imported back?

August 26, 2020 at 8:05 pm #6880541

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the updates. Please share with me the following details for tracking the issue.

a) Hope you have exported the XLIFF files from WPML>>Transaltions Queue.

b) Just to make sure have you updated the Yoast SEO Global Settings or the Yoast SEO Field values of a Post or Page which is sent for translation?

c) If you have updated the Yoast SEO Field values of a Post or Page sent for translation, have you resent the Post/Page for translation.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

August 26, 2020 at 8:15 pm #6880581

maxineE-2

a) Yes

b) If you mean did we input Yoast field values before translation, then yes.

c) No, I'm wondering if thats required to keep the field value changes after translation from the default language. If we change those field values on default language pages that are in the queue will the translation work when we reimport the xliffs.

August 27, 2020 at 5:05 pm #6888235

Bigul
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the details. I have consulted about this our team for an expert opinion and we have the following feedback on this.

If we change Yoast SEO fields of a Post/Page in the default language Post meta for that post will be changed. Post meta is part of the XLIFF. So the XLIFF will be different. So the best practice will be to resend the Post/Page for translation.

Most probably you can see *Needs Update* status for this Post/Page in WPML>>Translations queue or WPML>>Translation Management>Translation Jobs list.

--
Thanks!

Bigul