Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Richard Canny 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assigned support staff: Mohamed Sayed.

Author Posts
March 31, 2021 at 9:20 pm #8444103

Richard Canny

Tell us what you are trying to do?
We have one page that no matter what we do we still get the error message "You attempted to edit an item that doesn’t exist. Perhaps it was deleted?"

The english page exists and was created several months ago. We've tried to create the ES and PT-BR translations in various different ways. No success.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

What is the link to your site?
This is the problem page:
hidden link
All other pages seem to work fine.

April 1, 2021 at 9:23 am #8447045

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi Richard,
Thanks for contacting WPML support, I will be happy to help you today.

If you get that error while trying to add a translation only, please try to make a small change to the page in the default language, update it then try again to add a translation.

If you can't edit it in the default language and getting the same error, disable WPML and check again if the page can be updated then re-enable it and try to translate it again.

Let me know please if this helps.
Regards,
Mohamed

April 1, 2021 at 2:15 pm #8449551

Richard Canny

Hello,
Thank you for your help. Yes, I read about that yesterday and I tried it. But it didn’t work. Thanks,

April 4, 2021 at 1:42 pm #8463557

Mohamed Sayed
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Africa/Cairo (GMT+02:00)

Hi Richard,
Sorry for the late reply.

1- Can you please provide me with the WordPress debug.log? It will show us if any errors are triggered that could refer to a conflict issue. To enable it:

  • Open your wp-config.php file and look for:
    define('WP_DEBUG', false);
    

    Then change it to:

    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    // Enable Debug logging to the /wp-content/debug.log file
    define('WP_DEBUG_LOG', true);
    // Disable display of errors and warnings which is recommened on a live site.
    define('WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false);
    @ini_set('display_errors',0);
    
  • Then reproduce the issue by trying to translate the page again and check if any errors were saved to the debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory
  • If you can paste your debug.log to https://pastebin.com/ and provide me that link, it would be great!
    (This is the cleanest way because sometimes the logs are long and create a complete mess in discussion).

2- I would need to request temporary access (WP-Admin) to investigate this issue further
– preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible –

Your next answer will be private, which means only you and I have access to it.

❌ Please backup your database and website before providing us with access details ❌

Regards,
Mohamed

April 4, 2021 at 9:16 pm #8464161

Richard Canny

I believe after deleting the English page and starting over we were able to finally created a page for Spanish and Portuguese. No idea what was the cause.
Overall our satisfaction with WPML and the support is quite low.

Thanks,