This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem: Editor and Shop Manager are not able to access a page to edit it.

Solution: Adding the user as a translator in WPML -> Translation Management -> Translation Roles resolved the issue.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by nicolaD-10 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Lauren.

Author Posts
October 11, 2018 at 4:04 pm #2809069

nicolaD-10

I am trying to:
access a product translation when logged in as admin user with either of following roles:
Editor + Shop Manager
Shop Manager

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
admin

I expected to see:
the translated product editing page

Instead, I got:
"You do not have permission to access this page" error message (in Italian, as the site primary language is Italian: "Non hai il permesso di accedere a questa pagina.")

this error has happened in the last couple of WPML (and related plugins) updates.

we'd really appreciate if we won't have to undergo the usual "disable all plugins" process or such standard first-tier requirements, and if we could skip it and be assigned to second-tier ones.

October 12, 2018 at 9:02 pm #2813059

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thank you for contacting WPML support. I'll be happy to help you with this.

Is this happening for all products, or only one product in particular? The user that is trying to edit the translation - is this user added as a translator? If so, does the translator have the language pairs assigned to edit the product translation? Certain roles should be able to edit any content in the main backend, this is just something worth checking to see if it changes anything.

Have you checked the debug log to see if there are any errors that might point to the cause of this? If debug is not currently enabled, please enable it. This will allow us to see if any PHP errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

1. Edit wp-config.php and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

2. Browse to the page with the issue and/or reproduce the issue.

3. Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

4. Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just 50 lines or so will do. Please censor any sensitive information.

I understand that you prefer not to disable plugins, but there are a number of plugins that you have active that have not been tested for compatibility. One of the steps required for me to escalate this to second tier is to recreate the issue in minimal settings (only WPML plugins and a default theme). Instead of testing this on your live site, would you be willing to send me a copy of the site so that I can install locally to test this?

If so, please make a snapshot of your site using the Duplicator plugin: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/. This will allow me to try and duplicate the error so that I can run further tests without interrupting your live site.

Once the snapshot is complete, either upload the snapshot ZIP file and the installer.php file to a file sharing service such as Dropbox (and share the link in your reply) or right click the Duplicator links in your wp-admin and paste in your reply.

Please note: It is important to reduce the size of the package so please exclude some paths like /cache or /uploads and also exclude archives and media files.

I will also need the username and password of an account that was created BEFORE creating the duplicator package.

I will enable the next reply to be private so only you and I have access to it!

October 13, 2018 at 8:16 am #2813934

nicolaD-10

hi Lauren, thanks for your help.

before proceeding with Duplicator et al (we can activate a clone of the site though our Plesk anytime), let us try your first suggestions - although i cannot see why user roles Editor+Shop Manager were happily working before for a year, on the same setup (wpml+other plugins), then all of a sudden get banned from accessing translations of certain post types.

anyhow:

1) Is this happening for all products, or only one product in particular?

with Editor or Editor+Shop Manager role, this is happening ONLY with ALL WooCommerce products - translations of WP posts and pages are still accessible by these roles

2) The user that is trying to edit the translation - is this user added as a translator?

never heard of nor had to do this before with WPML. i suppose this would be the case for roles below the Editor (or Shop Manager) "level". anyways, how can we ascertain it? how is a role given "translator" role? what are the necessary steps?

meanwhile you take your time to read and reply to the above, we'll see to activate the debug options and see if anything obvious can be spotted.

thanks again

October 13, 2018 at 9:06 am #2813962

nicolaD-10

another detail i forgot: Editor or Editor+Shop Manager role can still access WooCommerce Category translations fine. so the problem seems confined to post_type=product only

October 13, 2018 at 9:41 am #2813972

nicolaD-10

thanks Lauren, you put us on the right track:

following the "is this user added as a translator" tip, we have added the Editor+Shop Manager user as translator, both languages it->en and en->it

for anyone ending up here: go to Translation Management then access the Translation Roles tab, you can add a user there and select which languages they can translate into.

now if we select a Product from the list in italian, we can see 2 different behaviors:

1) if the product has a translation (circling arrows icon), clicking on the icon kicks in WooCommerce Multilanguage translation screen, and we can translate each field of the product post

2) if the product does not have a translation yet (pencil icon), clicking on the icon opens up the Translation Queue screen, with a list of posts needing a translator with a corresponding button to start translating - clicking on it will open WooCommerce Multilanguage translation screen as above

problem solved.
thank you