Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was experiencing an issue where the Europe (EU) homepage could not be found after deleting and re-translating the EU version of the homepage. An error message indicated that the homepage did not exist or its translation was not published in the EU language.

Solution:
First, we recommended that the client ensure the site's default language is set to English and then set the homepage in the English language. The client should also edit the homepage in English and double-check if the EU translation is published.

If the issue persisted, we suggested that it might be related to caching or a temporary problem. We recommended the following steps:
1. Deactivate all non-WPML plugins.
2. Switch to the main theme, such as Divi.
3. Re-select the homepage in the Reading settings page for the EU language.

After following these steps, the homepage should work properly. If the problem continues, we advise the client to check for related known issues, verify the version of the permanent fix, and confirm that the latest versions of themes and plugins are installed.

If the solution provided here is outdated or not applicable to your case, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
March 27, 2024 at 2:12 am #15453364

mattW-27

Tell us what you are trying to do?

I have a site with 4 languages: English (default), German, EU, UK.

There is an issue only with the Europe (EU) home page. All the other translated homepage work as expected. It cannot be found. The homepage is translated with the WordPress Editor option. When I go to set the EU homepage in the WordPress settings, it has a red error box saying "Your home page does not exist or its translation is not published in Europe, English, German, UK.". I believe the issue started when I purposely deleted the EU version of the homepage. Then I tried to re-translate that page from scratch and the error/issue started. So perhaps there is some memory/cache that's not cleared and causing confusion.

Is there any documentation that you are following?

Is there a similar example that we can see?

I read and followed the steps from the previous and related tickets, but it did not work.

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/homepage-translation-not-publishing/
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translated-page-not-coming-up/

What is the link to your site?

hidden link
hidden link (Europe homepage with page not found issue)

Screenshot 2024-03-26 at 9.50.53 PM.png
March 27, 2024 at 3:32 am #15453495

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Matt,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I’m happy to help you with this issue.

I see the site's default language is English (not Europe), so I suggest you switch the language to English > Set the homepage in English language and recheck this issue.

You can also edit the homepage in English and double-check the translation in Europe if it is published.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

15453364-Screenshot_2024_03_26_at_9.50.53_PM 2024-03-27 10-30-21.png
March 27, 2024 at 11:38 pm #15458394

mattW-27

Hi Long,

Thanks for your message. Correct, the website default language is English. I was only sharing that screenshot to show the error that only exists in the WordPress Europe Homepage setting. For example, here are screenshots of this setting for all 4 languages. Only the Europe homepage setting has the error.

The end result/impact, is that when trying to view the Europe homepage, it can't find the page. And also, the Europe homepage url in the language switcher is incorrectly pointing to the English homepage.

Again, I believe the issue was caused when I deleted the Europe homepage translation and tried to retranslate it. After that, the Europe homepage can't be found even though it appears to be translated.

Thanks,

Matt

Language Switcher - Europe Homepage URL.png
Europe Homepage Not Found.png
WordPress Homepage Settings - Europe - Error.png
WordPress Homepage Settings - German.png
WordPress Homepage Settings - UK.png
WordPress Homepage Settings - English.png
March 28, 2024 at 2:30 am #15458584

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better to have a testing site where the issue is replicated. Your next reply is set to private to share the info.

❌ IMPORTANT: Please backup your database and website before proceeding ❌
You can use this plugin to create the backup: https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
✙ I would need your permission to de-activate and re-activate Plugins and the Theme to change configurations on the site if needed. This is also a reason the backup is critical.

Thanks

April 1, 2024 at 1:35 am #15467846

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

There could be a caching or a temporary issue on your site. I've enabled a minimal environment:
- Deactivate all non-WPML plugins.
- Switch to Divi main theme.

re-select the homepage on Reading setting page in the EU language then it works properly. Please check the attached screenshots.

Thanks

Reading Settings ‹ Precision Ceramics (WPML) — WordPress 2024-04-01 08-34-32.jpg
Custom Technical Ceramic Solutions | Precision Ceramics Europe 2024-04-01 08-34-11.jpg
April 1, 2024 at 4:48 pm #15470232

mattW-27

Hi,

The EU homepage is now working as expected. Thank you for your help!

Matt

mattW-27 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-04-01 16:48:33.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.