This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tunde Maria Kovacs 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
October 2, 2018 at 6:47 pm #2782502

Tunde Maria Kovacs

I am trying to:

See the right language description after a google search
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link

I expected to see:

Vivanti | Massothérapie à Domicile | Nous Venons à Vous
hidden link
Meta description preview: Massothérapie à Domicile le même jour pour le Soulagement du Stress et de la Douleur avec les meilleurs massothérapeutes. Montréal, Laval, Rive-Sud.

Instead, I got: Vivanti | In-Home Massage Services | We Come To You
hidden link
Meta description preview: Professional In-Home Massage for over 20 years. Our Certified Massage Therapists come to your home. Montreal, Laval, South Shore. Reserve online 24/7.

October 2, 2018 at 6:55 pm #2782538

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Search console is saying: Your site has no hreflang tags, though it looks well set up as you can see in the attachment.

October 3, 2018 at 9:20 am #2784036

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

Your site looks like it's set up correctly. This may have been a problem at a time when Google was indexing your page. Since both links are configured (we can see from the source code of both language-sites), this should be a temporary problem.

You may need to wait a few more days to see if Google will re-index your site and whether it will index it correctly.

After this, please let me know if the problem persists.

October 3, 2018 at 12:17 pm #2784469

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi, actually, it's been a very long time like this, this is why we're sure there is an issue why the description shows in the wrong language and why Google says we don't have it even if it loo set up

October 3, 2018 at 2:59 pm #2784987

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Hi.

After looking better at the screenshot you attached, I can see that the hreflang tags are not introduced correctly in WPML.

Please follow the example here (check the yellow columns in the attached screenshot image):
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/adding-hreflang-wordpress/

This should be an easy fix where you just need to replace the English hreflang to en and the French hreflang to fr.

Please keep in mind that in order for Google to see the new changes, you will either need to wait for a few days/weeks till Google will reindex your site or you can do a re-fetch using Google Tools.

You can also check the results immediately after you do the change using a tool like this:
hidden link

Let me know how it goes.

October 3, 2018 at 3:35 pm #2785094

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Right now, it is en-US and fr-CA. You want me to remove the -US AND -CA if I understand correctly?

October 3, 2018 at 4:46 pm #2785307

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Yes.

Just change them to en and fr.

October 3, 2018 at 5:07 pm #2785366

Tunde Maria Kovacs

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!

October 9, 2018 at 7:48 pm #2801855

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi, after making the change to en and fr, I still have this message in the search console view: Your site has no hreflang tags. What should I change now? Thanks!