Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is unable to edit French pages on their website.
Solution:
We recommend translating Cornerstone content using the WPML Translation Editor. Follow these steps:
1) Always translate from the original content language to the second language using the WPML Translation Editor.
2) If a post was created in English, translate it to French using the WPML Translation Editor. Any changes in the English version will require an update to the translation.
3) If translations were created directly in Cornerstone, disable the WPML Translation Editor for this content. This option is available on the original content inside the right sidebar of the WordPress Editor.

It's crucial to disable the WPML Translation Editor for content manually translated in Cornerstone to prevent overwriting.

If you need to edit the English version manually:
- Determine why manual edits are necessary.
- Identify if there are issues with content translation or if translations are not appearing on the front end.
- Narrow down the issue to a specific Cornerstone Widget, if possible.

If the content was manually created in Cornerstone, disable the WPML Translation Editor on the French page and try editing the English version again manually. Do not apply current translations in the WPML Translation Editor as they could overwrite your content.

Additionally, if you're working directly in Cornerstone, ensure you set the content language correctly in Cornerstone's bottom right corner. Mixing translations from Cornerstone and the WPML Translation Editor is not recommended; choose one method and stick with it.

If this solution doesn't seem relevant to your issue, please open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by brianC-17 2 years, 3 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
January 12, 2022 at 4:40 pm

brianC-17

I can't edit the french pages on my website. Can you help?

January 12, 2022 at 5:43 pm
January 13, 2022 at 4:01 am #10340683

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

I just had a look into the reported issue.

1) I went to hidden link
2) I closed Cornerstone and went back to WP Admin without taking any changes
3) In the right sidebar I clicked the translation status icon (See screenshot)
4) The Advanced Translation Editor opens as expected and is completed to 0% (See screenshot)

Could you please complete the translation and let me know if something did not work out as expected?

Is there maybe another page that is causing issues with Cornerstone as well?}

More details about translating Cornerstone with WPML:
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/xtheme/

Best regards
Andreas

translation not completed.jpg
open translation.jpg
January 13, 2022 at 2:52 pm #10344771

brianC-17

I see what you mean but the translated page exists already.

hidden link is the english page
hidden link is the french page

If I go to WPML / Languages and change the default language to EN, then I can edit the English pages. If I change the default language to FR then I can edit the French pages.

When in English default, if I enter hidden link (the french page) or click on the Pencil to translate the French page I’m redirected to hidden link (The english page).

The reverse is also true.

If you check on the front end, both the French and English appear without a problem

When WPML is set to French as a default language, these are the pages that exist
hidden link (FR)
hidden link (EN)

When WPML is set to English as a default language, these are the pages that exist
hidden link (FR)
hidden link (EN)

Every time I change default language, I have to add the language switcher to the menu so this is not a viable work around

I hope I don’t have to redo the whole site in the other language again ?

BC

January 13, 2022 at 10:10 pm #10347125

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

We recommend to translate Cornerstone with the WPML Translation Editor, as mentioned in the documentation I shared earlier.

https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/xtheme/

1) When translating with the WPML Translation Editor we alywas translate from original content language to second language, unregardless about the WPML site default language.

2) If a post was created in EN it will get translated from EN to FR with the WPML Translation Editor. Changes on the EN version will change the translation status an request a translation update.

3) Now, in a case where you have created the translations on the Cornerstone and not on the WPML Translation Editor please disable the WPML Translation Editor for this content. The option can only be found on the original content inside the right sidebar of the WordPress Editor.

It is important that you disable the WPML Translation Editor for any content that was translated manually on the Cornerstone Editor, as otherwise your manual edited translations will get overwritten by the WPML Translation Editor and lost.

About your example:
hidden link (FR)

This site appears ot have been completely translated with the WPML Translation Editor, anyhow I see some of the strings were actually not translated from FR to EN.

In this case you should complete the translations only on the WPML Translation Editor and avoid making manual edits on the English versions, as those will get overwritten once you translate the content again with the WPML Translation Editor from FR to EN.

1) Why do you need to edit the English version manually?
2) Is there some content translation not working as expected? Are you missing content on the WPML Translation Editor or are completed translations not showing up on Front-End?
3) If so, can you narrow this down to a specific Cornerstone Widget?

What I see here now is, that the WPML Translation Editor is showing FR content for EN; which means that the content also seems to NOT have been translated with the WPML Translation Editor.

Could it be that the content on hidden link was created manually inside Cornerstone?

If so, disable the WPML Translation Editor on the FR page and try to edit the EN version again manually.

IMPORT:
Do not apply the current translation on the WPML Translation Editor, as they would overwrite your content.

Let me know if disabling the WPML Translation Editor on the original FR page solves the issue.

Best regards
Andreas

January 13, 2022 at 10:19 pm #10347221

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Additonal to my last message:

While the WPML Translation Editor is activated it might be expected that Cornerstone shows FR content on each language, especially because on the WPML Translation Editor actually we do see currenlty FR language of both sides.

Once you disabled the WPML Translation Editor and create your translations direclty in Cornerstone you need to set the content language in the right bottom corner of Cornerstone.

See screenshot.

In case you did not and are not planing to create manual translation direclty in Cornerstone, please let me know and I will make a test with the WPML Translation Editor for you.

In case you tried to mix Cornerstone and WPML Translation Editor translations, please take note that this workflow is not recommended and you should decide keep working with only one of both methods and not mix them.

Best regards
Andreas

cornerstone.jpg
January 17, 2022 at 4:36 pm #10368049

brianC-17

I really don't understand what is going on. I've tried everything to be able to switch back and forth between FR and EN on the back end for translation purposes.

When I view hidden link (EN page) and click on "Cornerstone/Edit Page" In the top black bar, I should be directed to the edit screen for that page.

Instead, it shows the url "hidden link" (EN Page) for a brief moment then redirects to "hidden link" (FR Page).

What could be causing the redirection to the opposite language? the same happens for other pages I've tested.

I don't want to use the WPML translator. I want to have the flexibility to have pages that are different in one language vs the other.

January 18, 2022 at 9:35 pm #10378641

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Yes, this seems to be exepcted, as the FR version is the original page.

When on hidden link click on the UK flag in to bottom right corner of Cornerstone and you will end up on
hidden link

More details and screenshots:
https://wpml.org/documentation/theme-compatibility/xtheme/#creating-different-designs-per-language

Best regards
Andreas

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.