Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 26 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Dražen Duvnjak 2 years, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Dražen Duvnjak.

Author Posts
January 8, 2021 at 8:56 pm #7803873

jeffreyV-9

My site dashboard is extremely slow with WPML enabled, specially WPML related admin pages. Disabling WPML makes the site speed good again.

With WPML, times to load pages under wp-admin are at least 15 secods, sometimes failing with a timeout error.

January 11, 2021 at 12:34 pm #7815965

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hello,

thanks for sharing info about your issue, I will be glad to help out.

It could be there is some compatibility issue with one of the plugins if they are not officially compatible with WPML or with custom code from custom child theme.

Can you please follow the next steps:

1) Please open and add the following code in your wp-config.php file, right after the database information lines of code. This file is located in your websites root folder.

/** Memory Limit */
define('WP_MEMORY_LIMIT', '256M');
define( 'WP_MAX_MEMORY_LIMIT', '512M' );

Please make a backup before proceeding.

2) Please change your theme to the WP default theme (Twenty Twenty) and check if the issue happens.

3) Can you please check if the issue happens when only WPML plugins, all other plugins disabled? If working fine, please enable plugins 1 by 1 to see which causes the issue.

Please let me know how it goes and if you still have an issue.

Thanks and kind regards,
Drazen

January 12, 2021 at 3:22 pm #7826821

jeffreyV-9

I've tracked down the issue to the "translation management" WPML plugin. No other plugin is affecting the site performance, but the combination of WPML + Translation Management is.

Using the query monitor plugin, I can see that user and usermeta related queries inside that plugin are the cause if the slowness, see an example:
hidden link

I tried running that query directly on the database and it indeed is performing very slow.
Our site is a SaaS business, so the wp_users table contains more than 400,000 entries, and our usermeta table is beyond 5 million rows. However, this should not be an issue, these numbers are not unusual for a big site in my opinion.

We need the translation management plugin because we are translating our site with matecat. Please confirm if there is a workaround to make the site dashboard run fast or if its better to disable the translation management plugin when the translation jobs are done.

January 13, 2021 at 7:50 am #7831611

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

thanks for the feedback and for taking the time to investigate the issue.

In order to investigate this issue and to understand it better, I would need to access your website.

Then I will share all the info with our 2nd tier support to check if there is anything we can do to optimize this query.

Please make a full backup of your site (files and database) and confirm it in your next reply. I might need to enable/disable plugins, switch themes, and access your website database.

I would need to access both your site's wp-admin and FTP accounts. Be sure to provide both.

I have enabled the private username and password fields in your next reply.

Thanks,
Drazen

January 13, 2021 at 8:15 pm #7838805

jeffreyV-9

Our site went down a few minutes down. Were you working on it?

January 13, 2021 at 8:21 pm #7838821

jeffreyV-9

If you are working on it, please stop whatever you are doing.

January 13, 2021 at 8:36 pm #7838919

jeffreyV-9

I revoked your temporary access because our site went down. If you were working on it and performed something expensive, please advice. We are investigating the reason of today's outage.

January 14, 2021 at 7:00 am #7840975

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

sorry to hear that, but I wasn't working or doing anything on your website, since your reply was out of my working hours so I haven't seen it at all, until now.

Please let me know when everything is back to normal and I can check the website.

Kind regards,
Drazen

January 14, 2021 at 10:25 pm #7848593

jeffreyV-9

It was a DoS attack.

I have re-enabled your access to FTP and wp-admin, same login information.
Please don't perform database queries or custom code within 7am - 4pm PST

January 15, 2021 at 9:55 am #7851331

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

I have checked your website and it seems the issue is coming for the query you mentioned.

When you visit Translation Management, this query is started and is executing slow, so causing an issue when visiting anything other in WP dashboard, since your server is executing this slow query. Until it is finished or terminated everything else is slow.

I have started creating a Duplicator copy of your site, and would like to check it on our server/loalhost? Hope that is fine, let me know if I do not have your permission.

In the meantime, I will check with our 2nd tier support if they have any suggestions on this case.

Thanks and kind regards,
Drazen

January 15, 2021 at 10:01 am #7851367

jeffreyV-9

Yes you have permission to troubleshoot a duplicate copy on your server/localhost. Please also proceed to check with 2nd tier support and notify us about the solution proposed, thank you.

January 15, 2021 at 12:28 pm #7852487

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Thanks for the feedback.

Having the same issue on localhost, so I will be sharing all collected info with our 2nd tier to check and advise.

I will update you soon.

Thanks,
Drazen

January 15, 2021 at 2:51 pm #7854171

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Hello,

just to update you, I have escalated this ticket to our WPML developers team, they will be checking it and debug further.

I will update you once I have some news about your issue.

Thank you and regards,
Drazen

January 15, 2021 at 5:03 pm #7855457

jeffreyV-9

Thank you. I guess you can continue working on localhost, right? I will activate my plugins and theme again in the meanwhile to have some translation work done.

January 18, 2021 at 6:37 am #7865549

Dražen Duvnjak
Supporter

Yes, for now, we will be checking the site on our servers.

I will update you when I have some news about this issue.

Kind regards,
Drazen

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.