Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bruno Kos 1 year, 11 months ago.

Assisted by: Bruno Kos.

Author Posts
April 1, 2022 at 12:40 pm #10929415

aurelieC-9

Hello! I'm opening a new ticket because I missed the reply on my first one (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/synchronise-acf-field-values-accross-languages/) and can't reopen it (sorry about that, but that'd be nice if we could reopen tickets like on some other forums).

Anyway, I tried to configure my ACF translation preferences again, but sadly I still can't get it to work. I set everything I wanted to "copy" and saved the options page so that the new setting gets applied, but it only works from French to English, and not the other way around. If I check a checkbox in French, save and then switch to English, the value will be saved. But if I check the same checkbox in English, save, then switch to French, it won't actually save/copy the new value over French.

Also, I can't seem to get rid of the red and yellow warning notices I get. I tried multiple settings but they're always here (see my screenshot, all fields and subfields in it are set to copy).

Thank you for your help!
Best regards

Screenshot 2022-04-01 at 14-13-56 MIMOHCA • Modifier le groupe de champs.png
April 4, 2022 at 8:12 am #10941737

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting WPML support!

Does it help if I tell you that the copy feature works in one way only - from original language to translations? If you change a custom field on translations it will not synchronize with the original, the original is the one that will decide the value.

As for the issue with the red exclamation point, can you open this group and maybe just switch between copy and copy once toggle on these fields and then save the group?

Regards,
Bruno Kos

click this after choosing translation preferences.jpg
April 5, 2022 at 8:37 am #10951259

aurelieC-9

Thank you for your response 🙂

It does indeed make sense and explains why it's behaving this way, but is there really no solution to make it work the other way around as well? I can tinker with PHP, how hard would it be to do it myself and do you have any idea on where could I start or how should I proceed?

This would be very confusing for my clients, so that's not ideal. I also thought about hiding the non-translatable fields on English option pages (or other secondary languages), but there's no class or ID in the HTML that mentions the translation preference, so no way to target them with CSS. Could I add one somehow?

Switching the fields to copy once and then copy again seems to get rid of the warning notices, so thank you about that 🙂

Best regards

April 5, 2022 at 11:15 am #10953099

Bruno Kos
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch ) French (Français )

Timezone: Europe/Zagreb (GMT+01:00)

Hi,

There is no option to change it - this is default probably for all the multilingual solutions out there, where you have one main language and then you do translations and that's what users expect, also probably all CAT solutions have the same logic when creating and maintaining translations.

That being said I have no suggestions as this would mean changing default WPML behaviour and achieving things that are not implemented. Perhaps you can consult our https://wpml.org/contractors/ to find about possibility of such custom implementations.

Regards,
Bruno Kos

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.