We just released another (and hopefully) final dev version of WPML 3.2.3. This version has passed our QA and is considered safe for development and production sites. WPML 3.2.3 comes with a long list of improvements, as well as complete compatibility with WordPress 4.3.
WordPress 4.3 updates
Like other WordPress releases, WordPress 4.3 comes with a number of enhancements and code cleanups. This means that some functions that used to exist before 4.3 are now deprecated (should no longer be used). WPML 3.2.3 includes the required changes and uses replacement functions instead of the deprecated ones.
If you are building WordPress sites right now, you should do your development on the dev version of WordPress 4.3. This way, when 4.3 is released, you don't need to do any last-minute changes to your work. WPML 3.2.3 makes this possible. So, we recommend that you switch your development sites to WordPress 4.3 (dev) and WPML 3.2.3 (this RC).
Other improvements in WPML 3.2.3
Besides the important changes to support WordPress 4.3, this release of WPML comes with a number of important fixes and improvements.
- Fixed missing parentheses in mobile switcher
- Changing admin language on one site (multisite) does not sets admin language on all sites anymore
- When 'Language as Parameter' is used, wp_link_pages() pagination produce now a properly formed URL
- Fixed WPML breaking XML-RPC calls
- Fixed wrong order of languages when using icl_get_languages with orderby=name
- Fixed redirection issues when the same slug is used in translations with hierarchical post types
- Fixed page template being unchangeable in translated content, after deactivating the "Synchronize page template" setting
- Fixed "This is a translation of" being empty when creating a new translation
- Fixed "This is a translation of" so it's enabled correctly
- Removed errors when deactivating WPML for a subsite in multisite install
- Fixed an issue preventing subsites in a subdirectory multisite setup from completing the last setup step
- Removed creation of duplicated 'update_wpml_config_index' cron job
- Fixed domain name mapping when a domain name in one language includes the domain name from another language.
- Fixed problem with Greek characters in taxonomy names causing problems with taxonomy translations editor
- Fixed language switcher not filtering out empty date archive translations
- Fixed issues resolving hierarchical page URLs when parent and child use the same page-slug
- Fixed issue where urls pointing at hidden language posts were redirected incorrectly when using the languages as parameters setting.
- Fixed 'wpml_active_languages' filter so it returns languages with correct data.
- Improved caching of posts, taxonomy translation data, and strings
- Improved performances
- Wildcard entries for admin string settings now work for sub-keys on all levels in addition to top-level keys
- Improved menus synchronization (by a factor of 100)
WPML Translation Management
- Translation Editor shows existing translated content, if there was a previous translation
- Translation Editor won't changes language pairs for translators anymore
- Titles for packages and posts won't get mixed up in the translation jobs table anymore
- Users set as translators can translate content again, using the translation editor, even if there is not a translation job created for that content
WPML String Translation
- Fixed a problem with slug translation showing translated slug for English on Multilingual Content Setup when Admin language is other than English
- Fixed slug translation so it works with the default permalink structure.
- Fixed caching problem with admin texts which caused some admin texts to not update correctly.
- Removed PHP Fatal error: Specified key was too long; max key length is 1000 bytes caused by gettext_context_md5
- Fixed string scanning issues
- Fixed slug translations so that they are not used when they are disabled
- Fixed Auto register strings for translation
- Fixed admin texts so the settings are loaded from the default language and not the administrator's language
- Fixed fatal error when an old version of WPML is active
- Support multi-line strings when importing and exporting po files
- Support gettext contexts in string translation
- Updated dependency check module
WPML Gravity Forms Multilingual
- It's now possible to translate all "choices" options (labels and values) of fields with this property
Download and update
Since this is still not a production release, it will not be automatically delivered to your WordPress sites. To get this release candidate, log in to your WPML account and click on Downloads. Scroll to the bottom. If you have a CMS account, get the CMS_Beta_Package and unzip it. It will include ZIP files of all of WPML's components. If you have a Blog account, download the Blog beta.
Please backup the site before upgrading. Be sure to update all WPML components that you are using.
When is the official release?
This version of WPML has passed all our testing and is ready for a public release. We are hoping to get some feedback on how this update works for you, especially on WordPress 4.3 sites. We will wait for this feedback until the beginning of next week and then hit the Publish button.
We'd love to know how this update works on your sites. If you need technical help, please create threads in our technical support forum. If these are related to this update, you can also leave a comment here with the link to the thread, and a brief description. For anything else that's less technical, leave your comments here and we'll reply.