Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by istvanM 1 year, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Yvette.

Author Posts
September 6, 2022 at 12:32 pm #11996695

istvanM

My client intends to use a separate German language site on a separate domain, instead of the German language translation of the existing metalwolf.hu
My question is that what is the recommended workflow for that? I can make a copy of the existing site and őoint the new domain to this copied site, but how can make the German language of the site to be the default language?
Thanks for your help

September 6, 2022 at 2:32 pm #11998389

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Hello

Do I understand you intend to remove the original default language and that the new site will only have DE content?

September 6, 2022 at 3:01 pm #11998713

istvanM

Yes, that is what I intend to do.

September 7, 2022 at 6:42 am #12001999

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Paris (GMT+02:00)

Ok.

1. First remove all EN content making sure that you do **NOT** have the following setting enabled:
WPML > Settings > Posts and pages synchronization > When deleting a post, delete translations as well

and

WPML > Settings > Posts and pages synchronization > When deleting a taxonomy (category, tag or custom), delete translations as well

By content this includes:
- taxonomies
- post types
- menus
- Media libraries

2. Then, before deleting our plugins, set the default language to be DE and "deactivate" the EN language. Do a thorough checking of your site.

Is everything appearing in the DE language as you expect it to?

Recall that your theme/plugin strings may not appear translated if/when you remove our plugins. (Were you even intending to remove the plugins after deleting the EN content?)

3. If you are planning to remove the plugins, I would first do ANOTHER thorough check by simply deactivating the plugins and verfiying that you 3rd party plugins are still behaving as you expect (e.g. you might need to download language files from the plugin support site).

Once you are sure everything works well, then remove our plugins.

AND IMPORTANT - always have a backup you can restore in case something unexpected happens.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.