Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was unable to see the translated versions of their pages using the language switcher. The expected translations were not appearing on the website.

Solution:
We recommended the client to check the following steps:
1. Ensure the language is not hidden in WPML->Languages.
2. Verify that the translation is not in the trash.
3. Confirm that the translation is published and not set as a draft.
4. Make sure the translation is 100% complete, indicated by a pencil icon next to the default language page.

Upon further investigation, we discovered that the client was using the Blog license of WPML, which does not support Translation Management and the 'translations' tab. These features are only available with the CMS version of WPML. We advised the client that to use the translation editor, which their contractor was using, they would need to upgrade to the CMS version. The link to the purchase page is https://wpml.org/purchase/.

As a temporary solution, we suggested that the client could go directly to Pages or Posts and add the translation manually, but they would not be able to use the translation editor without upgrading their license.

Please note that this solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. If the issue persists, we highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If you still need assistance, please open a new support ticket at our support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 2 years, 7 months ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
February 7, 2022 at 7:39 pm #10527815

kamilP-11

I am trying to:
get a fully translated page displayed with the language switcher
Link to a page where the issue can be seen:
hidden link
I expected to see:
translated to Polish/English (manually)
Instead, I got:
hidden link

February 8, 2022 at 1:40 am #10528899

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

When I review the source of the homepage and search for "hreflang" I am not able to see the translation listed.

Please check the following:

1. Language is not hidden in WPML->languages
2. Translation is not in the trash by accident
3. Translation is published and not set as draft
4. Translation is 100% translated. (The icon next to the default language page will be a pencil and not a gear icon or a + icon)

Let me know your results, please.

February 8, 2022 at 1:59 pm #10533839

kamilP-11

Hi,

and thank you for your quick reply.

I'd propose you take a look at this short video where I show what's going on in my case.

hidden link

Thank you!

--KP

February 9, 2022 at 7:29 pm #10545375

Bobby
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for the screencast!

It looks like 2 things happened here, the contractor either used his own license and did not know how to transfer (because it is transferable) or used an unofficial version of WPML.

The reason you are not seeing these items when WPML is registered is unfortunately that you are using the Blog license, you would have to upgrade to the CMS version.

as you can see here Translation management, and page builder support (ATE, etc) are not supported with Blog.
https://wpml.org/purchase/

I hope this sheds some light to this strange behavior.

February 9, 2022 at 8:59 pm #10545661

kamilP-11

Hi,

doesn't make sense.. the price list says the blog version can translate posts, pages and menus... why doesn't it work in my case?

Thanks!

– Kamil Pitoňák

February 9, 2022 at 9:58 pm #10545821

Bobby
Supporter

Yes translating the page and posts is correct, but what you are showing in your screencast is that once you add the license you immediately lose access to Translation Management and the "translations" tab.

both of these areas are only available to the CMS version

Also, I noticed that the translations are not 100% finished, only the translations with a green checkmark are finished and will show in the front end.

my suggestion is to go to pages and click on the "+" button or the "gear" icon next to your homepage or any other page and fully finish the job.

otherwise unregister WPML and access the existing translations and make sure to fully finish them.

The contractor was using the translation editor to create these tranlsations which is not available in your current version.

February 9, 2022 at 9:59 pm #10545823

Bobby
Supporter

In short : With your license you can go directly to Pages or posts and add the translation but you wont be able to utilize the translation editor which is what your contractor was using (side to side translation)

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.