Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
Translation Editor for making translations of blog posts. Unfortunately in the translated text the structure of the visible text is a bit different. I found that the new lines, new paragraphs are not applied in certain cases.

Solution:
apply the solution as explained here https://wpml.org/errata/visual-text-toggle-removes-paragraph-tags-on-translations-and-shows-on-one-line/

Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 1 year, 9 months ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
June 29, 2022 at 1:49 pm #11568811

istvanM

I am trying to:

I use Translation Editor for making translations of blog posts. Unfortunately in the translated text the structure of the visible text is a bit different. I found that the new lines, new paragraphs are not applied in certain cases.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen:

Translation: hidden link
Original text: hidden link

I expected to see:

(this is the original text structure in the Hungarian version)

"Intéző úr, a mindenit magának!
Ne adja a babot már a summásnak!
Vagy egye meg, vagy adja a kutyának,
Ne adja a hat hónapos summásnak!"
- dúdolták, de olyan aratóének is akadt, amiben nemcsak étkezési reformra vonatkozó szerény kérések jelentek meg.
"Segédtiszt úr háza előtt van egy fa,
Segédtiszt úr arra legyen akasztva!
Én is elmegyek az akasztására,
Én húzom a kötelet a nyakára."

Instead, I got:

(This appears in the translation)

"Your honor, dear steward, for Christ's sake! Don't give any more beans to the seasonal worker. You yourself can eat it or give it to your dog. But don't ever give it to the seasonal worker." In other songs sung by the harvest workers, other types of modest suggestions appeared, not only regarding food reforms.
"There is a tree next to the steward's house, That's where the steward should be hung, I'll be there too at his hanging I'll put the rope on his neck."

Screen Shot 2022-06-29 at 15.44.50.png
June 29, 2022 at 2:55 pm #11569313

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Hi there,

Thanks for contacting WPML support.

I've checked your Website and it looks like you're using the Elementor Page builder and you're translating using the "Classic Translation Editor". We have an errata here that matches the issue that you're facing and could you please try applying the solution as explained here https://wpml.org/errata/visual-text-toggle-removes-paragraph-tags-on-translations-and-shows-on-one-line/ and see if it helps?

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Kor

June 29, 2022 at 4:52 pm #11570121

istvanM

Hi Kor,

Thanks for your support, I inserted the given code in functions.php and now it is working fine. On the other hand, there is a proposal from WPML to use Advanced Translation Editor. My problem is, that my client has already a lot of translated content where the Translation editor were used. As I'm informed, moving to ATE results that all previous translations don by normal Translation editor will be lost. Is it true?
Thanks again
IstvanM

June 30, 2022 at 9:40 am #11574279

Kor
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes true, for content already translated using the Classic Translation Editor, ideally, you should keep using that editor, because you might lose that translation when switching from Classic Translation Editor to Advanced Translation Editor, and vice-versa.

However, if you still want to proceed with it at your own risk, please follow these steps in order to translate the content through the Advanced Translation Editor:

- Backup your website before proceeding

- In WPML -> Settings, make sure to mark the option "Advanced Translation Editor" in the section "Editor for translations previously created using Classic Translation Editor"

- Then, go to WPML -> Translation Management and choose what pages you want to translate under the section “1. Select items for translation”

- In “2. Select translation options”, choose the languages and click on “Add selected content to translation basket”

- After this, go to WPML -> Translations and click on “Translate” to see the desired page on the ATE

But if you only want to use the "Advanced Translation Editor" for your new posts/pages(recommended). Use the settings shown in the attached screenshot.

I hope it helps and let me know how it goes.

Thanks!

Kor

Screen Shot 2022-06-30 at 5.38.46 PM.png
June 30, 2022 at 10:38 am #11574913

istvanM

Hi Kor,
Thanks for your help.
Since the translation of the old posts are done, and not expectd to change anything there, I'll leave those "Using the standard Translation editor".
For new translations, I'll switch to the "Advanced Translation editor".
Thanks again for your help-

June 30, 2022 at 4:34 pm #11579239

Kor
Supporter

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

I'm glad that everything is working fine now. Have a nice day!

Thanks!

Kor

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.