Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client was unable to translate custom fields on their website using WPML with the Uncode theme. The custom fields were not appearing in the WPML Translation Editor, and they were not found in any translatable string lists. Additionally, they encountered a warning about the site being moved or copied.

Solution:
1. We scanned the Uncode Theme for new strings via WPML -> Theme and Plugin Localization.
2. We navigated to WPML -> String Translation and clicked on "Translate texts in admin screens" at the bottom of the page.
3. We located the detail field labels and added them to String Translation using the text-domain filter

admin_texts_uncode

4. We provided instructions to use the text-domain filter to find and translate the labels.

For more details on finding and translating strings, please refer to the documentation: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/

If this solution doesn't look relevant to your issue, please open a new support ticket here: WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by csabaL-3 2 years, 5 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
November 4, 2021 at 2:58 pm #9926881

csabaL-3

Hi,

We were having trouble translating some custom fields on our website using WPML.
The theme we are using with is Uncode.

Please see below one of our reference pages in Hungarian and in English.
You can find the project details and under that some custom data, like these:
Év:
Ügyfél:
etc.

- hidden link
- hidden link

We’ve found some help in your documentation regarding this issue and it suggested changing from the Classic Translation Editor to the Advanced one.

As we have a lot of translation already done (and there is a warning that our content may be lost when we change editors) we decided to change to Advanced Editor only for the new content.

We faced two issues:
1. custom fields of the new content were still not translated
2. we received a warning of “Site Moved or Copied, Action Required”, this one exactly:
https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/using-advanced-translation-editor-when-you-move-or-use-a-copy-of-your-site/

So we changed back to the classic editor, but our issue of not translatable custom fields has still no solution.

We would be really grateful for your help at this stage.

November 6, 2021 at 8:28 am #9938209

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Do I understand right, that the fields are showing up inside the WPML Translation Editor but the translations are not showing up on Front-End or is the WPML Translation Editor not even able to display those fields?

In the last mentioned case, you might need to verify the custom field translation preference ("translate", "copy", "copy once", "ignore") settings which usually can be found at the bottom of each page inside the section "Multilingual Content Setup" or at WPML -> Settings -> Custom Field Translation.

More details about Custom Field Translation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-custom-fields/

If you still need assistance, I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better for a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

Best regards
Andreas

November 9, 2021 at 8:32 pm #9959823

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for you message.

I do need access capability as admin user in order to be able to assist you on this matter.

Please leave me a short notification once full access to the site is granted.

Best regards
Andreas

November 9, 2021 at 8:58 pm #9959991

csabaL-3

Hello Andreas,

done! 🙂

Best,

Csaba

November 10, 2021 at 1:43 am #9960843

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

The values of theses fields are actually translated and also showing up inside the WPML Translation Editor.

What is not working as expected are the labels and those usually are only able to be translated with WPML String Translation, unless there is an option to translate them on the backend:

I see those elements are appearing inside the Yellow-Pencil-Editor as "Detail Labels".

Are those custom fields created somewhere on the backend?

If so, where exactly are those custom field created and where can I edit those labels?

Which plugin is responsible for creating those fields?

Best regards
Andreas

November 10, 2021 at 10:40 am #9964595

csabaL-3

Hi Andreas,

please find attached the screenshot about where custom fields have been created. It comes with Uncode, no extra plugin was needed.

wpml-bug-custom-fields-set.JPG
November 10, 2021 at 9:45 pm #9969655

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

Thank you for the provided information.

As the fields are created inside the Theme Options I went to WPML -> Theme and Plugin Localization and scanned the Uncode Theme for new strings.

After that I went to WPML -> String Translation and clicked the link "Translate texts in admin screens" on the bottom of the page.

Here I was able to locate those detail field labels and add them to String Translation.

Please use the text-domain filter "admin_texts_uncode" to find and translate them.

See screenshots.

More details about this topic:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/finding-strings-that-dont-appear-on-the-string-translation-page/

Best regards
Andreas

strings.jpg
admin_texts_uncode.jpg
November 11, 2021 at 1:50 pm #9975349

csabaL-3

Hi Andreas,

we are a step further now, thanks 🙂

I have translated those custom fields in String translations but they still don't appear in English on the front end or back end. I signed out and in again but no result.

Best,

Csaba

wpml-bug-custom-fields-work-2.JPG
wpml-bug-custom-fields-work.JPG
November 11, 2021 at 9:08 pm #9978103

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Csaba,

The fields on the following post were actually not translated yet:

hidden link

I do not see an issue here. Please send me a link to a post which is causing you issues.

Best regards
Andreas

test.jpg
November 12, 2021 at 10:03 am #9981209

csabaL-3

Hello Andreas,

it seems that the system only needed some time to have those custom fields displayed translated 🙂

Temporary issue was that unfortunately the English version menu doubled its parts but after turning on and off the menu itself as primary menu solved it.

Thank you again for your fast and helpful service!

Regards,

Csaba

wpml-double-menu.JPG
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.