Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 34 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 11 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
October 1, 2021 at 7:09 am #9700919

robinM-14

I´ve started a previous post here: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/upload-media-translation-wont-work/

But it still seems to be unsolved. Every time I want to upload a translated media file e.g. datasheet PDF in German and corresponding PDF in English I´ll get the error message: "Failed to load the image editor"

Coulde you please take a look at the issue again?

I would like to share the access credentials

Thank you in advance!

October 2, 2021 at 12:48 am #9705833

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take a better look at the issue. It would be better for a testing site where the issue is replicated.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Maybe I'll need to replicate your site locally. For this, I’ll need to temporarily install a plugin called “Duplicator” on your site. This will allow me to create a copy of your site and your content. Once the problem is resolved I will delete the local site. Let me know if this is ok with you.

IMPORTANT

Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.
If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this:
hidden link

The steps are also shown in this video: hidden link

Kind regards
Andreas

October 7, 2021 at 1:18 am #9736539

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I am trying to obtain a copy of your site, but the download appears to be very slow and scheduled to be completed in about 8 hours currently, which is likely server-related.

As soon I was able to migrate a copy of the site I will be in contact.

Best regards
Andreas

October 10, 2021 at 10:08 am #9754619

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

My apologies for the delay in answering, as I was off for a couple of days due to vacations and a national holiday.

I have taken a copy of your site which I tested on a virtual server, to see if there are any errors given between WPML, the theme, and other plugins.

Somehow, I do not see this error on my local copy (see screenshot), which means that the issue might be related to a specific PHP config or server configuration issue on your site.

I verified your PHP setup and can not really spot an issue here. I enabled WP Debug for a moment but not no error was written to the debug-log file when trying to apply a translation for my example PDF.

Further, I see that my colleague Diego had a similar issue earlier and provided the following workaround:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/image-editor-not-loaded/#post-3785069

Can you please check if this workaround solves the issue in this case, too?

Further, for escalating this issue internally for further revision, I would need you to provide a staging/clone of the site on the same server, as I am not able to see the issue on a copy of your site.

Best regards
Andreas

media uploaded.jpg
October 10, 2021 at 11:58 am #9754865

robinM-14

Dear Andreas,

Thank you for your feedback and tests!

The proposed solution from the link might work for a few files that have been uploaded to specific posts/pages, but it seems to be no "clean" solution - also keepoing in mind that we you lots of media on multiple pages/posts.

As you did not encounter any problems on your local site, I would like to support you with the necessary clone site on the same server to figure out what settings might be problematic. To do this, I would need further instructions what you need exactly.

Thank you again for your help and awaiting your instructions.

Best regards,
Robin

October 10, 2021 at 12:51 pm #9754939

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Robin,

Thank you for your message.

It would be great if you could set up a clone or staging of your website on the same server and provide us admin and FTP access.

If you need any assistance with setting up this test site, please consult your hosting support.

Further, as the issue appears to be server-related, I would suggest you ask the hosting support to verify the server error.log and check if any necessary PHP extensions are missing.

According to that, I have revised the PHP Info and did not really spot any issue here so far, but I believe it would not hurt if they take a second look.

Once we have access to a site showing the same issue we will be able to debug without affecting your live site and I will then escalate towards our second-tier support team for reviewing the site.

The private reply form is enabled in order to provide the credentials.

Best regards
Andreas

October 14, 2021 at 2:42 am #9785203

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Robin,

Thank you for providing access to the staging site.

Now, I have tried to troubleshoot this issue, but in fact, it keeps occurring on the staging site even if I run it with Twenty Twenty One Theme and only WPML in its latest version.

The odd thing is, once I take a copy of the site and test it on localhost, the issue is gone.

According to my information your site uses:

- PHP 7.4.24
- MySQL 5.5.5

Please contact your hosting support and ask them to update MySQL to version 5.6 or higher as version 5.5.5 is not recommended for WordPress together with WPML.

If the issue keeps occurring after that we will take further steps.

Best regards
Andreas

October 15, 2021 at 6:53 am #9794601

robinM-14

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for your efforts!

I´ve contacted the hosting support and requested them to update the MySQL Version. Please find their response below:

I have coordinated with our techs and according to them, we use MariaDB for our database server. Version number is 10.3.30 which can be found when you login to phpMyadmin, under the Database server block. MariaDB is just a fork of MySQL which mean their structure is the same.

I have checked the version in phpmyadmin and can confirm the version numbers mentioned. Please refer the screenshot in attachment.

Please let me know how we can proceed. Thank you!

Best regards,
Robin

version.png
October 15, 2021 at 10:11 am #9796323

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Robin,

Thank you, somehow the debug information gave me the wrong info here, but MariaDB 10.1 or greater should be fine for WPML.

Anyhow, there must be server or hosting-related issues that are causing the problem, as I can not confirm the same issue with a copy of your site on a virtual server.

Could you please let the hosting support know about it and have them revised the server's errro.log? Maybe there is a PHP extenssion missing?

Please forward them this link and have them check the settings for you:
https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Best regards
Andreas

October 18, 2021 at 6:55 am #9807393

robinM-14

Dear Andreas,

the support team will look into that. As soon as I get a reply from them I´ll get back to you with the findings. Thanks up to now.

BRs Robin

October 19, 2021 at 7:30 pm #9821501

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Robin,

If the issue will not be solve within a few days please create a staging/clone of your site on the same server so that we can debug the issue there without affecting your live site.

It could even be that the issue is related to a must-use pluigins that only runs in this specific server environment and I can escalate this further towards our second tier support team, if needed.

The private reply form is enabled so that you can provide us access.

Best regards
Andreas

October 22, 2021 at 1:45 am #9840003

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Robin,

On your staging I can confirm that the issue persist when running the site only with WPML plugins.

I then re-installed WordPress at Dashboard -> Updates, and also made sure to run the sync option at WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation -> Start.

After that the Media Translation was working again without errors.

Please let me know if further assistance is needed.

Best regards
Andreas

October 22, 2021 at 10:15 am #9842791

robinM-14

Hi Andreas,

Thank you for your reply.

I can confirm that the staging site does now accept media uploads as intented.

I´ve tried to repeat your described steps on the live site:

1. re-install WordPress with Dashboard -> Update -> re-install
2. run the "Start" process under WPML -> Settings -> Media Translation -> Start

It shows some progress with duplicating media, featured images etc. However, when the whole is finished the problem with the upload of media files still persists.

Could you please check the behaviour on the live site and maybe fix it there as well?

I have made backups so in case we need to restore something...

Same login data as with the staging site

Thanks!

BRs Robin

October 22, 2021 at 5:25 pm #9845483

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello Robin,

Please provide me access as admin user.

The private reply form is enabled.

Best regards
Andreas

October 23, 2021 at 11:20 am #9849053

robinM-14

Dear Andreas,

I´ve just received a reply from the hosting support:

I have received an update from our technicians, they have applied the workaround in this link (which was not correct PHP, there were two ending curly brackets } missing at the end of the snippet): https://wpml.org/forums/topic/failed-to-load-the-image-editor/ to your staging site.

Our technicians are kindly asking you to try to upload a PDF file on your staging site and see if it works. If it works, then you can apply the same workaround on your live website.

Please note that we do not recommend modifying plugin files directly since the changes will be overwritten at the next plugin update. It would be better for WPML to incorporate this adjusted code in an upcoming plugin update.

So I assume that this did the trick finally?! How about the recommendation to incorperate this into your plugin instead of hard cording the fix?

BRs,
Robin