Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

[WP All Export] Exporting products taxonomies – missing WPML Translation ID field

Solution:

You are trying to export product attributes in 8 languages from one site and import them to another site. You must do that before importing any products with those attribute terms associated with them. You do not need to include the Term ID in the import file because the terms will get new IDs on the new site once the import is complete. So here are the steps you need to take.

1. Export terms in one language, then edit the file and add a unique identifier field/column to all terms.

2. Export terms in another language and edit the file to add a unique identifier field/column to all terms.

3. Import both files as per our standard procedure, explained in our guide here.

Relevant Documentation:

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/#Add-a-Unique-Identifier

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Itamar 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Itamar.

Author Posts
May 26, 2022 at 7:06 pm #11320109

John

Hello,

We have another website which is a WooCommerce store and has 8 languages.
We are trying to export all the information and add it to the new website using WP ALL IMPORT EXPORT.
The problem that we have is with matching and translating around 30 attributes with numerous variables.
Even if we export the translation id we cannot use it because when we import them we get a new translation id.
We would like some advice on how to manage this export import.
We have succeeded with categories and product mapping.
Waiting for your answer,
All the best!

May 29, 2022 at 7:01 pm #11337909

Itamar
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Hebrew (עברית )

Timezone: Asia/Jerusalem (GMT+03:00)

Hi,

Can you please confirm that you are following our instructions at the following link on how to work with WPML and the WP All Import plugin?

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/

Please carefully read the section on creating taxonomies in WordPress.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/#importing-posts-with-taxonomies

The important pointers to notice are the following.

1. If you are importing translated posts with taxonomies (including product attributes), you must create the exact same taxonomies in your WordPress site before importing the post files.

2. If you do not create your taxonomies before importing your CSV files, your secondary language taxonomy terms will not be connected as translations of the default language terms. You will need to edit each of your translated taxonomy terms to match them with the correct default language taxonomy term.

3. Taxonomy terms should never have the exact same name in the default and secondary languages. Otherwise, the import of the translated terms will not function properly.

In addition, please raise the WP Memory Limit of your WordPress installation as I can see it is not meeting the minimum requirements, and this also might be related to the issue.

Please follow this link for detailed documentation:

https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

Please let me know if the above information helps you to solve the issue.

Regards,
Itamar.

May 29, 2022 at 7:42 pm #11337983

John

Hello,
We are trying to import product attributes from the old site to the new site.
When we are trying to export them, we don't have a specific field like WPML Translation ID so we can match them to the new site. We have 8 languages to export and import.
Below you have an image of the old site whit the fields that we have when we are trying the export product attributes. Also, we can export one product attribute and we need to export all product attributes for each language.
hidden link
What we can do?
Waiting for your reply,
Thank you!

May 30, 2022 at 10:07 am #11341853

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

Sorry for missing the point that the problem is while exporting the products from the old site.

I've tested this issue on a sandbox site and could reproduce this issue. This is when I select to export Taxonomies -> Product Shape (attribute name). Please see the attached screenshot pro-shape.jpg. Nevertheless, if I’m exporting WooCommerce Products and add a rule to export a specific attribute, the fields are there. And are also in the exported CSV file. Please see the attached screenshots adding-rule.jpg and wpml-fields-ok.jpg.

Please use this method to export the product attributes.

Meanwhile, I'm consulting our second-tier supporters if this is expected. I'll keep you updated on this issue when I have their reply.

Regards,
Itamar.

pro-shape.jpg
adding-rule.jpg
wpml-fields-ok.jpg
May 30, 2022 at 10:14 am #11341957

John

Hello, again Itamar, and many thanks for your feedback. I understand your workaround somehow, but after the import, will the product attributes match the correct language id ?
Please don't forget that we have 8 languages on the old site and many product attributes. I hope you understand your matter and waiting for the 2nd tier support to come up with a suggestion.
All the best:D

May 30, 2022 at 11:38 am #11343185

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

I have a reply from our second-tier supporter. I also tested this scenario on the test site, and it works.

You are trying to export product attributes in 8 languages from one site and import them to another site. You must do that before importing any products with those attribute terms associated with them. You do not need to include the Term ID in the import file because the terms will get new IDs on the new site once the import is complete. So here are the steps you need to take.

1. Export terms in one language, then edit the file and add a unique identifier field/column to all terms.

2. Export terms in another language and edit the file to add a unique identifier field/column to all terms.

3. Import both files as per our standard procedure, explained in our guide here.

https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/#Add-a-Unique-Identifier

Please let me know if you have further questions about this issue.

Regards,
Itamar.

May 30, 2022 at 11:43 am #11343299

John

Hello,
Yes, we can do that, to add a unique identifier in the export, but, how the import will know to associate them? We don't have the same number of product attributes in each language.
In German let's say we have 30 attributes and in Romanian, we have 50 attributes.
If you need a can make an example.
Waiting for your replay,
Thank you!

May 30, 2022 at 12:04 pm #11343451

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

In this case, you only need to add a unique identifier key to the terms that are translations of the original term in the default language. For the other 20 terms in Romanian that are not translations of any term in the default language, you need to have the cell for the unique identifier column empty in the CSV import file. This way, they will only be created in the Romanian language but not associated as a translation of another term.

Regards,
Itamar.

May 30, 2022 at 12:06 pm #11343459

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

In addition to the above reply.

Alternatively, you can make a separate import for the terms in Romanian that are not translations of other terms.

May 30, 2022 at 12:23 pm #11343741

John

Hello, thanks for all your replies, but I still have a question.
Since we already using wpml on the old site and also have those wpml translation ids is there any chance to find a connector between them.
It's kind of hard to do the manual work since we already have the old translation id. We thought we can somehow add a custom field that will act as a unique id.
So from your perspective, we need to download the 1st language and add the unique keys. Also, export the 2nd language and also add those unique keys (but how ? maybe the 1st line of the excel won't match on the 2nd language that we will export. How can we verify that Romanian acasa is English for home for ex.) I hope you understand our matter. Moreover, we have like 30 attributes (we need to make this process 7 times).
It's not like your documentation which clearly specifies that the progress is from zero and not an export/import.
Or please give us a solution to migrate an old wpml site to a new one.
What I find missing is the possibility to add the old wpml translation id, if we succeed in adding that value after that we can match the rest of the content based on wpml translation id. ( but we can't find where is stored also we can't modify it using wpml all import.
Thanks.

May 31, 2022 at 11:06 am #11352385

Itamar
Supporter

Hi,

In your first post, you wrote:

The problem that we have is with matching and translating around 30 attributes with numerous variables.

Later, you also wrote:

We are trying to import product attributes from the old site to the new site.
When we are trying to export them, we don't have a specific field like WPML Translation ID so we can match them to the new site. We have 8 languages to export and import.

In my answers, I addressed this issue and explained how it is possible to achieve this.

In your last reply, you wrote:

So from your perspective, we need to download the 1st language and add the unique keys. Also, export the 2nd language and also add those unique keys (but how ? maybe the 1st line of the excel won't match on the 2nd language that we will export. How can we verify that Romanian acasa is English for home for ex.)

The value of the unique identifier cell for each attribute needs to be the same in the default language and all the other languages. You set the value. It can be any random number. What's important is that it will be the same number. So for example, if English is the default language you set the value for the unique identifier of 'home' to 8 in the CSV file. Then on the file of the Romanian language, you set the same value 8 as the unique identifier of 'acasa'. This will make 'acasa' the translation of 'home'.

In your last reply, you also asked:

Or please give us a solution to migrate an old wpml site to a new one.

If you need to migrate your site from a different server, I recommend you to use a migration plugin and not WP All Import. The two plugins I usually use are Duplicator and All In One Migration. They are both officially compatible with WPML.

https://wpml.org/plugin-functionality/migration/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

If you migrate your site using these plugins, you don't need to worry about connecting the default language with the other languages. But of course, you need to be aware that this will overwrite what is currently on your new site. It will make the new site a copy of the old site. All the products, taxonomies, post types, and their translations would be connected to each other without the need to export and edit CSV files and then import them into the new site.

I hope that this information clarifies your questions.

Regards,
Itamar.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.