The second and final beta version of ACF Multilingual 2.0 is out. This release includes a one-step multilingual setup for custom fields, easy ways to translate field labels, and more.
We listened to your feedback about ACFML. It mostly all came down to two things:
- Make the multilingual setup for custom fields clearer
- Make it easier to translate field labels
With ACFML 2.0, we’re making this and more happen. See the main features below and find the rest in the changelog.
This is the last chance to test this beta and offer your input before the final version comes out.
New Setup and Translation Options
In previous versions of ACFML, you could only set the translation preferences for custom fields on a field-by-field basis. With ACFML 2.0 beta 2, you can configure the multilingual setup for custom fields in just one step.
The new ACFML setup wizard lets you choose between two pre-set translation options for each of your field groups:
- Same fields across languages – In this mode, your field group is the same across all languages. You can use WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor to conveniently translate field labels and content.
- Different fields across languages – This mode is for field groups that need to have different field configurations across different languages. In this mode, you can use the native WordPress editor to translate your fields.
Now, you only need to select one of these modes and ACFML will automatically set the recommended translation preferences for the fields inside the field group for you.
Previously, you needed to individually set the translation preferences
With ACFML 2.0, you only need one click to select the pre-configured translation options
If you want to continue manually setting the translation preferences for each individual field, you can choose the Legacy option.
Easily Translate Field Labels and Labels for Choices
Up until now, translating field labels and labels for Choices has been complex. You had the option of adjusting the function in your theme’s files to make the labels translation-ready. Or, you could translate labels by setting the Field Group custom post type as Translatable, but this was known to cause issues.
ACFML 2.0 beta 2 brings an improved way of translating field labels and labels for Choices. How you translate them depends on the translation option you select for your field group:
- In the Same fields across languages mode, it’s as easy as sending a first post using the field group for translation. You’ll see the field labels available for translation in the Advanced Translation Editor.
- In the Different fields across languages mode, you can simply go to WPML → String Translation. All your field labels and labels for Choices will be available for translation there.
Translating field labels and labels for Choices in the Advanced Translation Editor
Translating field labels and labels for Choices in String Translation
How To Install the ACFML 2.0 Beta 2 Version
You should only install this beta version on a test or development site, never on a live production site.
To see all the new and improved features of ACFML 2.0 beta 2 in action, it’s important you test it with the recently released WPML 4.6.
From your site’s dashboard, go to Plugins → Add New and click on the Commercial tab. Click the Check for updates button and then use the Updates channel dropdown menu to switch to Beta. Finally, in the dialog that appears, click Switch to update your site to the latest available beta version.
Try ACFML 2.0 Beta and Share Your Feedback
This development is meant for you, the users of ACFML. By testing it yourself, you can tell us exactly how it works for you and what you think still needs improvement.
In other words, testing this beta today will help you have a better version of ACFML in the upcoming weeks.
If you find any issues with the beta, please report them to our support team.
For other thoughts, please leave your feedback and suggestions in the comments!