Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.65 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 8:00 – 10:00 8:00 – 10:00 8:00 – 13:00 8:00 – 13:00 9:00 – 13:00 -
- 11:00 – 17:00 11:00 – 17:00 14:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 2 days, 22 hours ago.

Assisted by: Lauren.

Author Posts
September 16, 2024 at 10:28 pm

ayeletG

Background of the issue:
I added the Navigation Language Switcher block to the Utility Nav in my Full Site Editing theme. I have the hide language option unchecked and the display hidden language option checked in the user profile section. The flag dropdown is visible but disappears when I click on a language other than English. URL: hidden link

Symptoms:
The flag dropdown in the Utility Navigation disappears when I click on a language other than English. All flags are missing.

Questions:
Why does the flag dropdown disappear when I click on a language other than English?
How can I ensure the flag dropdown remains visible after selecting a different language?

September 17, 2024 at 12:47 am
September 17, 2024 at 4:46 pm #16189944

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to take better look at the issue. You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply. The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Our Debugging Procedures

I will be checking various settings in the backend to see if the issue can be resolved. Although I won't be making changes that affect the live site, it is still good practice to backup the site before providing us access. In the event that we do need to debug the site further, I will duplicate the site and work in a separate, local development environment to avoid affecting the live site.

Privacy and Security Policy

We have strict policies regarding privacy and access to your information. Please see:
https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

**IMPORTANT**

- Please make a backup of site files and database before providing us access.

- If you do not see the wp-admin/FTP fields this means your post & website login details will be made PUBLIC. DO NOT post your website details unless you see the required wp-admin/FTP fields. If you do not, please ask me to enable the private box. The private box looks like this: hidden link

September 17, 2024 at 6:00 pm
September 18, 2024 at 8:26 pm #16195315

Lauren
Supporter

I confirmed in the staging site that the flags work as expected when using standard menus instead of full site editing (I tested with theme Twenty Twenty One and they show in all languages).

I'm still troubleshooting, but wanted to let you know that I can confirm it seems related to something specific with the site editor. I'll let you know when I find out more.

September 18, 2024 at 10:50 pm #16195549

ayeletG

Thank you for the update. It is working using the same theme on our dev site, is that something you could also look into? Here is the URL so you can inspect the elements and possibly see a difference between the two. hidden link

September 19, 2024 at 9:38 pm #16200818

ayeletG

Do you have any updates for me? Have you been able to track any issue down as to why this isn't working on the Production site?

September 20, 2024 at 3:00 pm #16203479

Lauren
Supporter

I'm still trying to resolve the issue. Was the dev first dev site you had (where it is working) deployed to the live site? I'm wondering if there could have been changes made between the site where it is working and the live site.

Would it be okay to isntall an Adminer plugin? I'd like to check the database to see if the TRIDs match for the original homepage and the translated pages.

September 20, 2024 at 6:44 pm #16203958

ayeletG

No, the dev site where it is currently working (hidden link) was never deployed to the live site.

Yes, please go ahead and install your plugin and let me know what you find. Thanks!

September 23, 2024 at 8:44 pm #16211826

ayeletG

Hi Lauren. Do you have any updates on this? Our client would like to get this issue rectified as soon as possible.

Thanks for your ongoing help and support.

September 23, 2024 at 9:36 pm #16211915

Lauren
Supporter

The pages are connected correctly. I also found that if I install a language switcher to a page, outside of a pattern, it shows as expected.

I'm trying to recreate the issue in a clean install, but I'm not seeing the navigation language switcher like you have in your site. Please feel free to login to the test site using this link: hidden link

Let me know once you have the switcher added here so I can test further. Thank you!

September 23, 2024 at 9:53 pm #16212000

ayeletG

Hi. I added the Language switcher to your themes navigation menu. You should be able to see it now.

September 24, 2024 at 1:16 pm #16215119

Lauren
Supporter

I believe I found a solution. Navigation patterns with the full site editor are a bit confusing, because when you add a Navigation block to a pattern and customize what links to include (while also adding the language switcher), that also links back to a menu (the Utility Navigation menu in this particular case).

Through trial and error we established that there is "something wrong" with the translations of the Utility Navigation menu. I went to Translation Management and filtered by Navigation Menus to locate the menu, and I sent the menu for translation (by myself in ATE, via adding myself as a translator).

After completing the translations, checking on the front end the language switcher worked as expected. Please note that the translations were marked as completed prior to this step. I didn't make any changes, but sent it to translations from WPML -> Translation Management. I then went to WPML -> Translations, and took each translation of the Navigation Menu (NOT the block, the navigation menu) and clicked Complete in the advanced translation editor. After this, the language switcher shows in all languages on the staging site.

Please try these same steps on the live site and let me know if it also resolves it there.

September 24, 2024 at 4:58 pm #16216805

ayeletG

Thanks Lauren! We were able to get the flag dropdown working on the Production site following the steps you outlined. Once that was finished we noticed that the navigation items were different and that has been sent to the client to take care of. We would like to keep this Support chat open until we have confirmation that all is correct on the client side.

September 24, 2024 at 6:05 pm #16217045

Lauren
Supporter

Sounds good, glad to hear the flags are working now. Let me know if you run into any other issues and if not, you can mark this as resolved once the client confirms.