Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 7:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 13:00 – 16:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lucas Vidal de Andrade 2 days, 1 hour ago.

Assisted by: Lucas Vidal de Andrade.

Author Posts
September 26, 2024 at 8:05 am #16223416

nickF-8

Background of the issue:
I just discovered that in the header of all pages of my site there is a "no-store,no-cache,must-revalidate" code that is interfering with caching from my host. I found an old support article that another user had the same problem. But the article is closed without explaining in detail how the problem was solved. Could you review the old article and let me know how to solve this problem? If possible could you ask Lucas Vidal de Andrade to look at this ticket as he is aware of some special details about my website from past tickets and would save time.

The link to the old article is

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-have-a-problem-with-cloudflare-not-being-able-to-cache-my-site-to-reduce-the-dynamic-requests/

Symptoms:
WPML is causing no-store,no-cache,must-revalidate errors in my header

Questions:
Could you review the old article and let me know how to solve this problem?
Could you ask Lucas Vidal de Andrade to look at this ticket as he is aware of some special details about my website from past tickets and would save time?

September 26, 2024 at 12:12 pm #16225013

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hey there,

What exactly is happening? Please describe as accurately as possible: 1. what is the issue 2. what is the expected behavior and 3. how you identified that it is being caused by WPML. Please note that there are 3 answers necessary here, please answer all of them.

This way, I can better understand what's going on 🙂

I'm waiting for your feedback.

September 26, 2024 at 2:16 pm #16225842

nickF-8

Hi Lucas,

1. What is the issue - If you use developer tools from any browser on the website HellenicMoon.com, you will see that every page (at least ever page I ever randomly tried) has this in the cache control info: no-store,no-cache,must-revalidate (see attachment).

A developer told me that this code is blocking any caching from happening on the site, which should be happening automatically from the Bluehost Cloud CDN. So effectively CDN and caching is not working on my site do to this code. I suspect that this problem is related to the old problem we had.

2. What is the expected behavior - It should not have "no-store,no-cache,must-revalidate" in the Cache Control section, so that normal caching can happen.

3. How you identified that it is being caused by WPML - Bluehost support suggested the problem is a plugin, and they identified WPML as one that could cause this kind of problem. Considering the problem we had before with WPML that we could not solve, it seems likely that it is true. Then seeing this past support ticket with exactly the same problem as me (apart from which CDN they use), I really think the problem is linked to WPML:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/i-have-a-problem-with-cloudflare-not-being-able-to-cache-my-site-to-reduce-the-dynamic-requests/

However, I tried turning off all the WPML plugins but the "no-store,no-cache,must-revalidate" code stayed on the pages. But considering the other user also identified WPML as the problem, I still think this problem is linked to WPML. Maybe solving this will also solve the old problem we had (which still exists).

Cache-Control problem.png
September 26, 2024 at 3:51 pm #16226380

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Hey there,

Thanks for sharing the details. I understand the issue better know.

In theory, WPML cannot block or change any behavior on your website in your website while it's deactivated,

Please ensure that there's no other plugin, or theme causing that. To verify it, please disable all plugins, change the theme to a default WP one and check again the cache control.

Let me know the results.

September 26, 2024 at 7:26 pm #16227362
nickF-8

Hi Lucas,

In the end I decided to change host, so I transferred over to Rocket.Net and my site is being propagated as we speak. Probably later today or tomorrow it will be fully over. What I need from you now is to help me make sure that WPML is working correctly on the new site.

For starters the old problem we had with the language menus seems to be gone! So now please just see if there is anything you need to do from your side as we switch the host and the new one will become my primary.

For the moment I indicated to WPML that the new site was just a temporary copy, but now I want it to become the new standard. What do we need to do?

Thanks,
Nick

New threads created by Lucas Vidal de Andrade and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-move-website-to-production/

September 27, 2024 at 11:45 am #16229677

Lucas Vidal de Andrade
Supporter

Hey there,

Thanks for the update. I've created a new ticket, since we are dealing with a new situation:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/split-move-website-to-production/

I'll answer you there 🙂