Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 1 year, 6 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 20, 2022 at 2:10 pm #12088297
September 20, 2022 at 3:35 pm #12088849

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

You are trying to register hidden link - if this is not the site URL, then registration might not work.

You need to register hidden link in this case.

Now, if this will still not work, then this issue seems to be Bedrock specific.

Best regards
Andreas

September 20, 2022 at 4:56 pm #12089319

AB

Again spending my time...

Well, for the 4th time since our chat: this EXACTLY the CONTRARY:

I registered a key for hidden link, this key REFUSED TO validate on WP, because WordPress lives inside a subfolder at hidden link

So I had to register a NEW key for hidden link to validate the domain key.

That was my whole point since the beginning. Your interface asks for a domain URL, but your plugin only registers on the WORDPRESS INSTALL URL.

September 20, 2022 at 5:25 pm #12089521

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

And this is a working solution in this case?

Best regards
Andreas

September 21, 2022 at 9:57 am #12093717

AB

No, my point is your site url key registration interface at wpml > accounts > site is confusing: "your Site Url" is understandable as "your domain Url", but your plugins only registers *versus the wordpress -installation URL-*.

I'm not speaking of subdomains, but domain *subfolders*.

So if you switch a site to production inside your account interface, fill the "new SITE URL" field with the domain you're switching to, but wordpress is installed inside a subfolder ( wild exemple: /blog/ with a static homepage) a beautiful pop-up will appear on your production site.

Then you'll have to remove that key, generate a *new one* for production with the WORDPRESS install URL ( not your main site url ), register that key, and push in production.

You should allow to edit or correct the "Site URL" from the WPML account interface or much simpler validate the registration versus the root domain url.

After all your licences are sold as "for 1 production website", not "one wordpress install url".

September 21, 2022 at 4:24 pm #12097453

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

As mentioned earlier in the chat, take note again that we do not recommend installing WordPress into a subfolder or subdomain when using WPML.

Could you please answer this question:

My question was if registering hidden link solved the issue and WPML is currently registered on your site?

If you are able to register the site, then I do not really see a major issue, but if the registration fails, then I will escalate this issue to the second tier so that the team and the WPML Product Manager can have a look into this request.

Further, I would be glad if you could create a short video for issues 2) and 3) as I can not follow you, and I need to be able to replicate such issues in detail, in order to escalate an issue or feature request.

Best regards
Andreas

September 22, 2022 at 12:20 pm #12103895

AB

>take note again that we do not recommend installing WordPress into a subfolder or subdomain when using WPML.

https://wordpress.org/support/article/giving-wordpress-its-own-directory/
WP3.5 is 10 years old and this is a common practice with the advent of frameworks like Bedrock/Roots or conservative cybersecurity practices ( like moving wordpress core one level up the server web root )

But *again* this *isn't* my point:
WPML works *very well* inside a subfolder, no trouble whatsoever.

As I detailed, litterally my first chat message, the issue lives inside your website site licence issuing tool (https://wpml.org/account/sites/) that is confusing and can lead to embarrassing moments when you push a website to production:

When you switch a website/key to a production status thru the use of the " change to production " you have to enter the "New website URL". For everyone out there, me included, that means: the top domain URL - hidden link -

However, if your wordpress install lives inside a subfolder, the key issued for hidden link won't validate inside plugin>commercial registration tool.

To generate a validating website licence you have to generate a key for hidden link

Why can it be embarrassing? Well, your production site will display a very flashy " this site is registered as a dev site " although your have a valid production key for this top level domain and your licence states " Valid for 1 production website "

Correcting this implies destroying the top level domain key, delicensing the plugin from the admin, generating a new key for hidden link and registering again.

My point is two feature request:
1- At least allow your users to edit the URL a key is related to ( why not? ).
2- Allowing to shut that banner up from WP config via remove_action, safe-proofing embarrassing moments ( why does this banner even pop when your register? It doesn't appear if you don't register at all )
3- Allow your plugin website keys to validate against the TOP LEVEL DOMAIN, not THE WORDPRESS INSTALL URL ( seems obvious, no? )

September 22, 2022 at 7:25 pm #12106459

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

1- At least allow your users to edit the URL a key is related to ( why not? ).

- This is simply not how the URL registration works at the moment. I can offer to open a thread for consulting this with the team.

Take note:
On https://wpml.org/account/sites/ site URL always have to be removed and registered again if the domain changes or the site had been migrated.

2- Allowing to shut that banner up from WP config via remove_action, safe-proofing embarrassing moments ( why does this banner even pop when your register? It doesn't appear if you don't register at all )

- if the development site banner still appears after pushing the site to production, then this might be a cache issue or you need to force the site again to connect to wpml.org which can be done at:

- Plugins > Install > Commercial > Search for WPML Updates
or at
- WPML > Support > Installer Support > Check now

3- Allow your plugin website keys to validate against the TOP LEVEL DOMAIN, not THE WORDPRESS INSTALL URL ( seems obvious, no? )

- I will try to recreate this issue on a new WordPress install and then get back to you.

Best regards
Andreas

September 23, 2022 at 12:34 am #12107319

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

For issue 1)
As explained in my last message:
On https://wpml.org/account/sites/ site URL always have to be removed and registered again if the domain changes or the site had been migrated.

For example:
You site URL remains identical, but you changed the server - then also in this case the site URL will need to be deleted from wpml.org and registered again.

This is how registration works for now and it is a complex process.

If we would allow registering a new site simply by editing the Site URL input field then with the current logic this would not work out, as the registered site is not only based on a URL and user account.

Do not get me wrong, I think it is an excellent idea, but if and when such a feature would be available depends on the developers of WPML and the systems team and their capacities.

I have pinged our WPML Product Manager to have a look into this as well. I will let you know if I will open a request for this feature soon.

For issue 2)
See the workaround from the last ticket and let me know if it solved the issue.

For issue 3)

It sadly did not work out for me yet to test a WPML install in a subdirectory as my localhost software does not support such setup by default, but I wanted to clarify something, which remains unclear within your replies:

1) There is actually nothing malfunctioning on your site? You only complain about the usability of wpml.org when registering the site to your account.

2) You were able to register your site successfully?

Answers to your question:

WordPress in subdirectories:

We are aware that you can install WordPress inside a subdirectory, but anyhow we can not recommend such a setup when using WPML, as it caused various unexpected issues in the past.

Why do you have to register the URL that refers to the install path of WordPress?

WPML asks for Site URL - now, I am not aware if we make use of the dedicated WordPress function inside the registration process, but in terms of WordPress, the Site URL refers to the URL for the current site where WordPress application files.

The WordPress function that relates to this looks like that:
https://developer.wordpress.org/reference/functions/site_url/

It returns a string with the Site URL link with an optional path appended.

This might be the reason why you had to register the URL incl. subdirectory.

And apart from that, if this is how the registration works, then this must be expected behavior, as otherwise, the registration would fail.

If you expect that I open a feature request regarding this issue, then I must apologize again, but if the developers and systems team of WPML considers that the Site URL has to be registered incl. the installation path when using WP in a subdirectory, then this is sadly how it works and we can not simply change this, due to the number of existing users and sites registered on wpml.org.

Anyhow, I am about to follow up about this to get feedback from the team, as I am personally not aware of what is expected here.

Best regards
Andreas

September 23, 2022 at 3:16 pm #12113051

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I had a chat with the WPML Product Manager and Second Tier Support about your requests, and I am sorry, but we can not forward any feature requests in this case.

Issue 1) - Site URLs need to be validated on input, there is no way to register non-valid site URL and such UI/UX change would further not create a new site key, unless the site URL gets removed from the account.

Issue 2) - Please let me know if my workaround solves the dev site banner issue for you

Issue 3) - Site URL in terms of WP and WPML refers to the Site URL incl. install path (if given) - this behavior is expected.

Best regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] Bedrock – unable to access Plugins > Add new > Commercial after pushing to production’ is closed to new replies.