Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lynn Okulanis 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Bruno.

Author Posts
March 30, 2020 at 11:33 pm #5799689

Lynn Okulanis

CDN: Cloudflare
HOST: KINSTA
PHP: Version 7.2
WordPress: Version 5.3.2
WPML Multilingual CMS: Version 4.3.10
Yoast Premium: Version 13.3

ISSUE:
When accessing the homepage of the following languages:
hidden link
hidden link

The trailing slash is NOT being forced. Yoast is correctly rendering the URLs *with the trailing slash* in the HREFLANG. This is resulting in 2 different URLs that are being crawled for these homepages which, of course, is causing issues with duplicate content in SEO reviews.

I've done a LOT of Googling and the only thing I've seen is "the trailing slash is automatically added" by WPML. Unfortunately, it's not on these websites.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

wpml-lang-settings-2.png
wpml-lang-settings.png
March 31, 2020 at 10:34 pm #5808209

Bruno

Thank you for contacting us. I tested this in my testing environment, but I was unable to replicate this problem.

Please as a test, could you disable all non-WPML plugins, switch to the default theme and see if the problem persists?

If the problem is fixed, please, enable the plugins one by one to see if there is any compatibility problem between these plugins.

Thank you.

April 1, 2020 at 2:45 pm #5814557

Lynn Okulanis

OK .. I went ahead and performed those requirement in my STAGING environment. Used the Twenty-Nineteen WP Theme. Deactivated ALL plugins except the WPML plugins that we have installed (see below). And we still have the same issue. No forced trailing slash ("/") in the URL.

URL:
hidden link

site_url(): hidden link
home_url(): hidden link

Database Name: ********************
Table Prefix: wp_

WordPress Version: 5.3.2

Web Server: ..................... nginx/1.17.5
PHP: ............................ 7.2.17-1+ubuntu16.04.1+deb.sury.org+3
WP Memory Limit: ................ 40M
PHP Time Limit: ................. 300
Blocked External HTTP Requests: None
fsockopen: ...................... Enabled
OpenSSL: ........................ OpenSSL 1.1.1b 26 Feb 2019
cURL: ........................... Enabled
Enable SSL verification setting: No
Opcache Enabled: ................ Enabled

MySQL: ................... 5.5.5-10.2.25-MariaDB-10.2.25+maria~xenial
ext/mysqli: .............. yes
WP Locale: ............... en_US
DB Charset: .............. utf8

Debug Mode: ... No
Debug Log: .... No
Debug Display: Yes
Script Debug: No
PHP Error Log:

WP Max Upload Size: 128 MB
PHP Post Max Size: 128 MB

Compatibility Mode: .... Yes
Delay Between Requests: 0

WP_HOME: ....... Not defined
WP_SITEURL: .... Not defined
WP_CONTENT_URL: hidden link
WP_CONTENT_DIR: ********************
WP_PLUGIN_DIR: ********************
WP_PLUGIN_URL: hidden link

Media Files: .......... 1,761
Number of Image Sizes: 7

Active Theme Name: Twenty Nineteen
Active Theme Folder: ********************/wp-content/themes/twentynineteen

Active Plugins
- WPML Multilingual CMS (v4.3.10) by OnTheGoSystems
- WPML Media (v2.5.5) by OnTheGoSystems
- WPML Sticky Links (v1.5.1) by OnTheGoSystems
- WPML String Translation (v3.0.8) by OnTheGoSystems
- WPML Translation Management (v2.9.5) by OnTheGoSystems

Must-Use Plugins
- Kinsta Must-use Plugins (v2.3.1) by Kinsta Team

wpml-issue-2019-theme-no-other-plugins.png
April 2, 2020 at 2:26 pm #5823733

Lynn Okulanis

Hi Bruno .. have you been able to review the results of the testing you asked me to perform?

April 2, 2020 at 3:34 pm #5824433

Bruno

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. Yes, I saw your message above.

This may be happening through your server (Nginx). Perhaps your server has some configuration to redirect URLs without trailing slash.

Using the Apache server, even without WPML enabled, WordPress by default redirects URLs without the "/" to add it to the URL. That is, this is not only the behavior of WPML but also of WordPress itself.

You may need to configure Nginx or a redirect plugin to redirect to the URL with "/".

Thank you.

April 2, 2020 at 6:26 pm #5825969

Lynn Okulanis

Well .. it would appear to me that WordPress' trailing slash functionality on its permalinks is working just fine for this application:

This URL: hidden link
Renders automatically like this: hidden link

Just as this URL: hidden link
Renders like this: hidden link

And this URL: hidden link
Renders like this: hidden link

As mentioned in the original issue: this is *specific* to the homepages for each alternate language:

hidden link
hidden link

So, I don't see how nginx is causing any issues there? If it was an nginx or WordPress issue, would these errors not be persistent in EVERY instance a URL is rendered?

Additionally, the other 40+ websites we manage (all hosted on KINSTA) don't seem to have this issue.

But, as a show of good faith, I have contacted KINSTA and provided their support team a link to this ticket for review. I am waiting for their response now. If they provide a solution I will supply it here.

April 2, 2020 at 6:57 pm #5826095

Lynn Okulanis

So .. to avoid delaying this any longer, I asked the support folks at KINSTA to place a 301 REDIRECT on the nginx server for the following URLs:

hidden link
hidden link

.. so that they render appropriately and to prevent any SEO crawlers from crawling the URLs without the slash (as they are being rendered by WPML).

The downside to this is, if it's ever *again* required to move this application to a different server within KINSTA (as has been the case in the past), the nginx config file on that new server will need to be edited to reflect this change.

So, I would consider this matter resolved via 3rd party workaround.

April 2, 2020 at 7:03 pm #5826097

Bruno

If you want I can try to test your site in our testing environment as well. Just let me know so I can apply for credentials.

Another option, instead of using some configuration in Nginx, you can use a plugin to do this redirection.

Thank you.

April 2, 2020 at 7:05 pm #5826101

Lynn Okulanis

My issue is now resolved courtesy of a 3rd party workaround - a redirect placed into the config file of the nginx server.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.