Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 7:00 – 15:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Pacific/Easter (GMT-06:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Ilyes 1 week, 4 days ago.

Assisted by: Ilyes.

Author Posts
March 18, 2024 at 7:35 pm #15423205

mohammadB-13

Change default language

March 18, 2024 at 11:27 pm #15423646

Ilyes
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français ) Arabic (العربية )

Timezone: Pacific/Easter (GMT-06:00)

Hello again,

This ticket will stay open for you to send access to your admin site,

Kindly provide me with the steps on how to replicate the problem.

If you do not see the form below, please do not enter your credentials as they will be publicly exposed:

hidden link

For your privacy and security, please ensure that you make your reply a private one.

Best regards,

March 21, 2024 at 6:14 am #15434326

mohammadB-13

I got a robot e-mail regarding my ticket that I yet did not give a feedback for 3 days now.

Issue still exist hope you do not close this ticket, I just could not find time yet to reset my website and share credentials for you to be able to access my website, will try to share them before March 27.

Best regards,

March 21, 2024 at 7:52 pm #15438295

Ilyes
Supporter

Okay, take your time 🙂

Best,

March 27, 2024 at 6:07 pm #15457791

mohammadB-13

Hi Ilyes,

I'm not able to find the form that I will enter my credentials into.

لقطة شاشة 2024-03-27 210557.png
March 28, 2024 at 6:35 pm #15461965

Ilyes
Supporter

I have opened the form again just in case.

March 29, 2024 at 6:47 pm #15465451

Ilyes
Supporter

Could you please re-check the login information?

When I try to login, it redirects me to this page instead of login in to the dashboard : hidden link

March 29, 2024 at 6:53 pm #15465456

mohammadB-13

Solved the problem, your role was assigned as subscriber, just made it administrator.

April 1, 2024 at 8:44 am #15468474

mohammadB-13

Hi Ilyes,

I hope you're doing well.

Could you please let me know if we have an estimated timeline for completing mentioned points?

Regards,

April 2, 2024 at 1:57 pm #15473314

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

I'm sorry for the delay, as I only got the access by the end of Friday, and I do not work over the weekends,

I will ensure to give you an answer today, I'm now checking your site,

Best,

April 2, 2024 at 9:59 pm #15475251

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

I recorded two videos to show you what I did and what might be the issue with the filtering widget :

1- hidden link
2- hidden link

Either these fields were not copied because of wrong settings in WPML > Settings > Custom fields, or this is a compatibility issue with the theme you are using.

Best,

April 3, 2024 at 8:01 am #15476660

mohammadB-13

Thank you Ilyes that was very helpful!

I'll start working on things you pointed regarding widgets, but what about changing the default language of the website? Are we able to get this done first?

Because I'd like to work on the translation at my own tempo, probably it will take me longer than I imagined.

Kind regards,

April 3, 2024 at 8:05 pm #15480392

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

I don't see any issue preventing you from changing your website's default language. However, before proceeding with this change, there are a couple of things you need to take care of:

- Make sure to backup your website before making any changes.

- Ensure that you have translated your website's main pages, such as the homepage. and other content. Especially if you are building the site in English first and then translate to other languages.

To change the default language, follow these steps:

1. Go to WPML → Language → Site Languages.
2. Click the "Change Default Language" button and switch to your desired language.
3. Go to WP → Settings → Permalinks and click "Save changes"

One other thing you should be careful about, some strings might be flagged in the wrong language (Turkish strings tagged as English under String Translation), if you got that issue after the change, here is how you can fix it : https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/how-to-change-the-source-language-of-strings/

I hope this answers your questions,

April 6, 2024 at 12:34 pm #15490562

mohammadB-13

Dear Ilyes,

I've tried this when I first bought my WPML subscription but it didn't work, since my website's demo content was already with English when I changed the default language into Turkish it started to show the English content as if it's Turkish.

You have mentioned that I need to make sure that I translated my website's main pages, is it going to avoid me facing the problem I just described to you? Is it going to take my translated pages (of any language) as the new default pages no matter what I choose the default language for the website?

Sincerely appreciate all your efforts.

April 8, 2024 at 2:54 pm #15495091

Ilyes
Supporter

Hello,

When you translate your content first, WPML will simply change the primary language of your site rather than the content itself, that is why it is better to finish all your translations.

Again, it will just change what language will it show first to your visitors and not the "source" language, that means if a page is originally created in English and then translated to Turkish, you will always have to do the edits on the English page first and then translate it to Turkish, but of course, this is all in the backend, your visitors will see Turkish as the main language.

There could be some minor confusions because of this change, but those should be able to easily fix after the change, just contact us and we could help you with it.

Best,