Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by leonardoP-20 1 year, 10 months ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
June 9, 2022 at 7:27 pm #11427877

leonardoP-20

Hello,

I am trying to mirror the menu custom links default language position on the others languages. The custom links are well translated but the custom links position does not respected the default one in English.

I followed this documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Here are two examples languages on my stage site:
hidden link - Correct position
hidden link - Incorrect position

Thanks,

Incorrect-custom-link-position-issue-01.jpg
Incorrect-custom-link-position-issue-02.jpg
June 10, 2022 at 4:52 am #11430271

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

At the moment I am not able to view the site as it's behind a firewall from wp staging.

However, this looks like possibly caused by the menu padding controlled by the theme's CSS since the strings in the translation are larger the menu is being pushed out of bounds.

If this is the case, please try this as a test:

1. Go to Appearance->Menus and edit the menu translation

2. Edit the menu items and change the names to something shortened (just a few should be ok, enough to make the size as big as the default language)

Test the menu again and let me know your results.

June 10, 2022 at 8:52 am #11431909

leonardoP-20

Hi,

I shortened the French menus to only one letter, A and B, but the issue remains.

Thanks,

Incorrect-custom-link-position-issue-03.jpg
June 10, 2022 at 9:44 pm #11437149

Bobby
Supporter

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed It is necessary to take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website. Providing us with access, you agree that a backup has been taken **

I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

June 13, 2022 at 9:29 pm #11452611

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

If I go to Appearance->Menus->Top Menu (Primary menu) I noticed that it is not translated at the moment.

Please add the missing translations and you will be able to control the way the menu is displayed.

Documentation:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/translating-menus/

Let me know your results, please.

Screen Shot 2022-06-13 at 2.29.05 PM.png
June 14, 2022 at 8:38 am #11455737

leonardoP-20

Hi,

It works, but has the inconvenience of now I having to redone all the menu and menu links styling for each one of the others 7 languages and for now on to manually have to sincronize any menu change on all the others languages, as if they were all independent menus, just because of adding these 2 menu custom links.

Before that I just had to change the English version (whatever I did) and it automatically mirrored the changes to all the other languages, now instead of having one menu to edit, I have to edit eight menus.

But if it is the only way to do it, it will have to be.

Thanks,

June 14, 2022 at 6:15 pm #11460979

Bobby
Supporter

Glad to hear it is working as expected now!

Yes, unfortunately, it is the best way to ensure no further issues will happen as the menus should be translated as well.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.