Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
String Translation - domain is missing from the list when using HAML
Solution:
The 4.0.7 version is an older version and since then there have been plenty of changes made to our code.

As WPML itself does not scan or officially support HAML files I wouldn't be able to point out what change was made that could have caused this behavior with HAML files.

One of the functions that scan the templates has changed. It's possible the new function does not scan non-PHP files

Line 31 of wpml-string-translation\classes\strings-scanning\wpml-st-theme-plugin-scan-dir-ajax.php will allow .haml files to be scanned by changing:

$file_type = array( 'php', 'inc' );

to

$file_type = array( 'php', 'inc', 'haml' );

However, I tried this and it doesn't catch the strings in Haml.

You might want to examine the following file which should be where all the actual processing is happening:
wpml-string-translation\inc\potx.php

NOTE: I did test with version 4.0.7 of WPML and its version at the time of String Translation and it still does not scan HAML files.

Once you go to WPML->Themes and Plugins localization-> Scan your theme and then you get a list of all the files scanned, only .php files are scanned.

My suggestion would be to create a .mo file with your strings
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/127917/generating-po-mo-translating-files-from-scratch-in-a-wordpress-theme
Relevant Documentation:

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jeremy 4 years ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
February 21, 2020 at 10:50 pm #5544289

Jeremy

I am trying to get certain translation strings to appear, so we're using this for example:

echo __('Practice Areas', 'bogoroch');

We went to the String Translation settings page and enabled "Look for strings while pages are rendered"

Refreshed the homepage (Which is where the String is)

But the 'bogoroch' domain won't even appear under " Select strings within domain" dropdown.

Help

February 22, 2020 at 12:01 am #5544397

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi There,

As a test please go to WPML->Theme and Plugins localization.

Within there you should be able to find your domain, select it and scan it.

After the scan finishes go to String translation and let me know if you can find it.

February 24, 2020 at 3:28 pm #5555699

Jeremy

We found the Theme under "Strings in the themes", selected the theme and ran a scan, but it didn't seem to work.

We suspect it's because we're using HAML templates, so our front-page.html looks like this:

<?php
/**
* Home Page / Front Page
* Template Name: Front Page
* @package Bogoroch
* @link https://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy
*/

get_header();

$haml = new MtHaml\Environment('php');
$executor = new MtHaml\Support\Php\Executor($haml, array(
'cache' => sys_get_temp_dir().'/haml',));

$template = __DIR__ . 'https://cdn.wpml.org/haml-templates/front-page.haml';
$executor->display($template, array(
'var' => 'value',));

get_footer(); ?>

And then the strings are located within /haml-templates/front-page.haml

for example: = __('Contact us today', 'bogoroch')

We previously used an older version of WPML (4.0.7) with another project of ours that uses HAML templates and we didn't have an issue getting the translation strings to appear within WPML.

February 24, 2020 at 5:37 pm #5556865

Bobby
Supporter

I believe that as long as you are using the Gettext call in an HTML file and not a HAML file then it should work as expected.

Change your text-domain temporary for one string from bogoroch to 'bogoroch-test' and save it and then go back to WPML->Themes and Plugins localization and see if the new text-domain populates under the theme

Let me know your results, please.

February 24, 2020 at 8:49 pm #5557439

Jeremy

Sorry, by HTML I meant PHP file.

Our PHP Files are loading HAML templates, and our translation strings are defined within HAML files and NOT PHP.

For example, here is how we're loading HAML template for the Homepage's front-page.php:

<?php
/**
* Home Page / Front Page
* Template Name: Front Page
* @package Bogoroch
* @link https://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy
*/

get_header();

$haml = new MtHaml\Environment('php');
$executor = new MtHaml\Support\Php\Executor($haml, array(
'cache' => sys_get_temp_dir().'/haml',));

$template = __DIR__ . 'https://cdn.wpml.org/haml-templates/front-page.haml';
$executor->display($template, array(
'var' => 'value',));

get_footer(); ?>

And then the front-page.haml has the translation strings. example:

.section-video#playButton
%i.fa.fa-play.section-play
%span
= __('Watch video', 'bogoroch')

Once again, this setup worked just fine with the older WPML version 4.0.7, but it doesn't seem to be working any longer with the latest WPML. Is there a workaround?

February 24, 2020 at 9:31 pm #5557551

Bobby
Supporter

I personally do not see why this wouldn't work.

Were you able to test changing the text-domain? This will allow you to see if a specific string is getting picked up.

Please note that we currently are not able to provide support for custom work within this forum. I will, however, like to take a closer look and see if something is missing and why its not getting picked up.

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to test the issue.
(preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated if possible)

**Before we proceed I recommend taking FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you enter is private which means only you and I have access to it.

NOTE: If access to the live site is not possible and the staging site does not exist please provide me with a duplicator package created with the duplicator plugin.

Thank you,
Bobby

February 25, 2020 at 7:55 pm #5565695

Jeremy

Hi,
Just making sure the server details were received. Thank you

February 25, 2020 at 8:19 pm #5565789

Bobby
Supporter

Thank you for the access details!

Go to WPML->String translation->Filter by strings within the domain "text-domain" or "bogroch" and click on the View.

You will notice that all these strings that have been picked up by String Translation are coming from pure PHP files such as functions.php or /custom-post-type.php for example.

This is because any getText call function called within the HAML file does not seem to work.

-----------------

As noted in my previous thread being that you are using a custom theme and custom code we are not able to provide support for custom work within this forum, but I have inquired our developers regarding HAML and WPML, and will update you once I have their response.

February 25, 2020 at 8:42 pm #5565813

Jeremy

Great thank you.

Also, once again, keep in mind that we were using haml templates with WPML 4.0.7 and we didn't have this issue.

February 26, 2020 at 6:33 pm #5573763

Bobby
Supporter

Hi There,

The 4.0.7 version is an older version and since then there have been plenty of changes made to our code.

As WPML itself does not scan or officially support HAML files I wouldn't be able to point out what change was made that could have caused this behavior with HAML files.

One of the functions that scan the templates has changed. It's possible the new function does not scan non-PHP files

Line 31 of wpml-string-translation\classes\strings-scanning\wpml-st-theme-plugin-scan-dir-ajax.php will allow .haml files to be scanned by changing:

$file_type = array( 'php', 'inc' );

to

$file_type = array( 'php', 'inc', 'haml' );

However, I tried this and it doesn't catch the strings in Haml.

You might want to examine the following file which should be where all the actual processing is happening:
wpml-string-translation\inc\potx.php

NOTE: I did test with version 4.0.7 of WPML and its version at the time of String Translation and it still does not scan HAML files.

Once you go to WPML->Themes and Plugins localization-> Scan your theme and then you get a list of all the files scanned, only .php files are scanned.

My suggestion would be to create a .mo file with your strings
https://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/127917/generating-po-mo-translating-files-from-scratch-in-a-wordpress-theme

March 9, 2020 at 2:19 pm #5648347

Jeremy

Thanks for pointing out an alternative solution. This works. Thanks!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.