WPML works fine with WordPress 4.8. In the last few weeks, we’ve been running all our development and testing on the WordPress “development” version, which is now officially WordPress 4.8.
This version of WordPress introduces a number of new features. Fortunately, they have very little to do with WPML, so we’re not releasing an update for WordPress 4.8 (no need).
As with any other major update, we recommend to do it with care. You should back up your sites before the update, update, test that it’s all working and then get back to your planned work.
For ourselves, we will update to WordPress 4.8 next week, after we do full testing on a staging server. We run a number of plugins, including a lot of custom code and we need to do full QA before we apply updates to our production site.
As always, if you need help, best to as in our technical support forum.
Want to know what’s coming in WPML 3.8?
This release of WPML is going to be especially interesting. It combines major performance improvements, usability improvements and new features.
- String Translation and WCML performance boost – we’re cutting down the places that String Translation connects to, so that there’s no performance hit when ST isn’t really doing anything.
- Simplified and richer Theme and Plugins Localization page – first good news is that normally, you’re not even need to visit that admin screen. WPML will automatically apply the optimal configuration for your site for full functionality and best performance. The admin screen itself gets a complete redesign, offers new options, but looks much simpler. You’ll see soon.
- Translation Feedback module – will allow you to let visitors rate the quality of translation and point out problems.
- Customized translation instructions – WPML will detect the theme you’re using and major plugin and will offer detailed and customized instructions for your site. This should save you the need of going through our many documentation pages and finding what applies to you.
- End-User accounts – if you’re building sites for clients (not only for yourselves), we’ll allow your clients to get help directly from WPML support team. This way, you don’t need to channel support requests on behalf of your clients. Less time waste for everyone involved.
WPML 3.8 is scheduled for about 3 weeks from now. We’re about 10 days from closing the development, then QA and release.