This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:MySQL server has gone away

Solution:The wp_icl_strings table was missing an index , if you experience such error please contact our Support team

Relevant Documentation:

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by shaneB-8 5 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Bobby.

Author Posts
May 3, 2019 at 12:15 am #3729591

shaneB-8

When I logged into the site today there was a big message at the top indicating that the following:

MySQL server has gone away
Array
(
[language] => en
[context] => WP Endpoints
[gettext_context] =>
[domain_name_context_md5] => 3a448b300c73de9c6696651892b08d2f
[name] => wc-api
[value] => wc-api
[status] => 0
[translation_priority] => optional
[allow_empty_value] =>
)

This cannot be seen on the front-end but I am not certain what I should do. I need to upgrade the WPML plugins to their latest version, but shoudl I do that first or is there another step prior?

May 3, 2019 at 4:23 am #3730715

Bruno
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Thank you for contacting us. When this message is displayed you can simply close it and check if the problem will be displayed again. If the error does not return, it is because it is correct: https://wpml.org/errata/duplicate-entry-for-key-uc_domain_name_context_md5/

After you dismiss this message, you can update WPML. Please, let me know if this message appears again.

Please, let me know if I can help with any other questions you may have about it. I'll be happy to help.

Thank you.

May 3, 2019 at 12:19 pm #3734089

shaneB-8

I dismissed it and the problem came back. It's not clear whether you are suggesting that I update the modules or whether I try and fix it first.

May 3, 2019 at 6:12 pm #3737401

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hello,

Bruno is currently offline , as he did mention this is a known issue that WPML usually auto resolves on its own within the database that is why if the message does not show up again after closing it out it is correct to assume that it has been resolved.

since the message is still showing i would like to take a closer look at your WPML database tables to verify that no index fields are missing

**Before we proceed I recommend to please take FULL BACKUP of your database and your website.**
I often use the Duplicator plugin for this purpose See: http://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

I would like to request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to your site to fix the issue.

You will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
The information you will enter is private which means only you and I can see and have access to it.

Thank you,
Bobby

May 3, 2019 at 6:21 pm #3737409

shaneB-8

I have gone ahead and done the backup. Unfortunately, I cannot give you FTP access. Are you able to create a cloud username/pw and I can transfer the site to a clone that you can view?

May 6, 2019 at 6:25 pm #3752057

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Thank you for the access details !

the issue should be resolved now, your database table wp_icl_strings table has the correct indexes now . There was one index missing but i have manually fixed it for you.

please verify that the message is gone now.

May 8, 2019 at 3:36 pm #3768567

shaneB-8

This resolved the issue although I am not certain how this came about. Do you have any idea just to make it clearer?