Saltar navegación

Este hilo está resuelto. Aquí tienes una descripción del problema y la solución.

Problem:
The user was encountering difficulties updating translated pages' designs within WPML after making changes that didn't affect the text. They sought advice on directly deleting translated pages from the dashboard and wondered if WPML would recreate these pages seamlessly.

Solution:
Support advised updating the translations to reflect layout changes. Deleting the translated pages may remove them from the dashboard, but WPML's translation memory might still retain them, necessitating an 'empty trash' action. This was a misunderstanding that led to trial and error by the user. WPML doesn't rebuild the translated page solely by deleting it; manual actions like emptying the trash are required.

Relevant Documentation:
Understanding the functionalities of WPML's translation memory and the need for manual deletion from the trash can clarify the process of updating translated pages comprehensively.

Este es el foro de soporte técnico de WPML, el plugin multilingüe de WordPress.

Todas las personas pueden leerlo pero solo los clientes de WPML pueden ingresar comentarios. El equipo de WPML responde en los foros 6 días a la semana, 22 horas por día.

Hoy no hay asistentes de soporte disponibles en el foro Spanish. Siéntase libre de enviar sus tiques y les daremos trámite tan pronto como estemos disponibles en línea. Gracias por su comprensión.

Etiquetado: 

Este tema contiene 10 respuestas, tiene 2 voces.

Última actualización por Carlos Rojas hace 7 meses, 2 semanas.

Asistido por: Carlos Rojas.

Autor Entradas
septiembre 8, 2023 en 1:22 pm #14366899

oratorio-bonaiguaO

Cuéntenos qué está intentando hacer.
Update the translation of pages that resist

¿Hay alguna documentación que está siguiendo?
not specially

¿Hay algún ejemplo similar que podamos ver?
Pages with changes in: design, featured image, and so

¿Cuál es el enlace a su sitio?
enlace oculto

I have been working with DIVI+WPML on a bilingual website for 21 months. First of all I want to say that I am very satisfied and at the same time admired by the capabilities of WPML. Also very satisfied with the support.

Despite what has been said, there is one thing that has made me waste a lot of time in my work and with which I am a little annoyed. I'm sure it's not new to you. It's about the following:

Once a page is translated, if changes are made to it that do not affect the text, these changes are not always reflected in the translated page at the design level when updating the translation. As you can imagine in 21 months I have been able to do many tests. And I have encountered difficult cases.

I have been wanting to try a radical solution for these difficult cases for a long time but I wanted to know your opinion first. This is the question:

Is it possible to directly delete the translation of the page from the dashboard? If I do this, will WPML build the translated page again without any problems?

I think that if this were possible, it would be of great help in some cases.

septiembre 8, 2023 en 1:30 pm #14366965

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Idiomas: Inglés (English ) Español (Español )

Zona horaria: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello,
Thank you for contacting us

1.- I'm sorry to hear that you are facing this scenario. In this case, if the changes only affect the design/layout of a page you should update the translation so these changes take effect on the translated content.

On the other hand. If you are translating the content using Automatic Translation then if you delete a translated page, when you start the translation of the original page again you should find the already translated content saved in the translation memory. You can read more about this feature in the following link: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

2.- Please provide the debug information of the site in the section that appears below this ticket

In this link, you will find the steps to follow: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

Please don't paste the debug information within the ticket

Regards,
Carlos

septiembre 8, 2023 en 2:40 pm #14367521

oratorio-bonaiguaO

Carlos, thank you for your quick response.

My question was:

"Is it possible to directly delete the translation of the page from the dashboard? If I do this, will WPML build the translated page again without problems?"

I suspect it must not be easy to answer.

Unfortunately I wanted to understand that it could be possible to do what I say in MY QUESTION. Now that I've tried it, I see that I shouldn't have done it because the translated entry has disappeared and WPML doesn't rebuild it.

It will be easier for me to completely delete the entry (all languages) and create it again

Thank you anyway.

I understand that it is difficult to help people like me who only have knowledge of the application at the user level

UPDATE !! IT WORKS

the only thing missing to do was "empty trash" in the dashboard.

Happy WE !!

septiembre 11, 2023 en 8:24 am #14373495

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hey!

I'm glad to hear that the issue is solved 🙂

Please don't hesitate to contact us if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to help.
Best regards,
Carlos

septiembre 17, 2023 en 4:33 pm #14408587

oratorio-bonaiguaO

Contrary to what has happened to me on other occasions, I believe that, on this occasion, the person who assisted me did not correctly understand my question, I explain this in the messages included in the consultation.

septiembre 18, 2023 en 8:31 am #14410063

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,
I'm sorry if I misunderstood the question and thank you for your understanding.

In your previous message, you stated that you were able to delete the translated page and I quote: "UPDATE !! IT WORKS

the only thing missing to do was "empty trash" in the dashboard.

Happy WE !!".

From the quote above I understand that you were able to delete the page from the dashboard, including the step to remove it from the trash. If my conclusions were incorrect I kindly ask you to elaborate a little more so I can understand what is missing from your original question that I haven't answered yet.

Note: In my first message I requested the debug information of the site and you didn't share it, leaving me with no more information from your website other than the original question.

Looking forward to your message.
Regards,
Carlos

septiembre 18, 2023 en 11:20 am #14411355

oratorio-bonaiguaO

Thank you Carlos for your work to obtain the best communication between us, I correspond to you by trying to explain my point of view:

The question that originated this ticket was the following:

"Is it possible to directly delete the translation of the page from the dashboard? If I do this, will WPML build the translated page again without problems?"

As I understand what you answered to this question were two things:

2a)
That when updating the translation, the format changes should also be updated.

Your Quote:
"if the changes only affect the design/layout of a page you should update the translation so these changes take effect on the translated content."

Comment:
This was precisely the problem I was reporting to you.

My Quote:
"There is one thing that has made me waste a lot of time in my work and with which I am a little annoyed. I'm sure it's not new to you. It's about the following:
Once a page is translated, if changes are made to it that do not affect the text, these changes are not always reflected in the translated page at the design level when updating the translation. As you can imagine in 21 months I have been able to do many tests. And I have encountered difficult cases."

2b)
That even if I deleted the translated page on the dashboard, this translated page would not disappear from the translation memory.

Your Quote:
On the other hand. If you are translating the content using Automatic Translation then if you delete a translated page, when you start the translation of the original page again you should find the already translated content saved in the translation memory. You can read more about this feature in the following link: https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

Comment:
What you explained above was what happened. So no one had told me that for that translated page to disappear completely and WPML to create it again, I had to do what I explained to you in my last message:

My Quote:
"UPDATE!! IT WORKS. The only thing missing to do was "empty trash" in the dashboard."

Conclusion:
I can't say that your attention was totally incorrect, but I think if you had understood what I needed the first time, that is to force WPML to create the translated page from scratch, it is possible that you would have explained to me before the need to do "empty trash " in the Dashboard saving me the time of trial and error that I had to dedicate to discovering it for myself.

In any case, thank you very much for the time you have dedicated to this matter.

Best regards

P.S.
I'm overloaded with work right now and I prefer not to send debugging information.

septiembre 18, 2023 en 11:48 am #14411483

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Hi there,

1) Regarding the second question: "If I do this, will WPML build the translated page again without problems?" -> The answer was provided in my message, which is related to the Translation Memory.

2a) "This was precisely the problem I was reporting to you." -> As mentioned, this is not a problem, this is the correct behavior and to update the layout changes, the content on the secondary languages must be updated too, because the entries in the database need to be updated in order to get the changes in the layout.

2b) "That even if I deleted the translated page on the dashboard, this translated page would not disappear from the translation memory and therefore I would continue to see it on the dashboard." -> Yes, this is the expected behavior as you can read in the documentation about the translation memory I shared, however, if you read carefully the documentation you will see that the translation memory is there to help you avoid translating the content already translated, but the page, the actual WordPress page, is not there if you completely removed it. So, I think this also answers your original question on how to remove the translated page from the front end. But if you still have any doubts just let me know I'll do my best to help you understand this feature.

"What you explained above was what happened. So no one had told me that for that translated page to disappear completely and WPML to create it again, I had to do what I explained to you in my last message" -> I'm sorry for misunderstanding you in the first place. I assumed that you already knew that deleting the translated page (including the deletion from the trash) would completely delete the page from the backend, as this is a basic workflow from WordPress and not from WPML.

3.- Thank you for your patience and understanding. We do our best to help our clients solve any doubts and fix any issues related to WPML. Sometimes it's harder to understand some problems on our end and sometimes we make mistakes too.

I hope your doubts are clear regarding this issue and please don't hesitate to open new tickets or chats if you need our help in the future with WPML. We will be more than happy to keep helping you.

Have an excellent day!

septiembre 18, 2023 en 12:47 pm #14412007

oratorio-bonaiguaO

Your quote:
"What you explained above was what happened. So no one had told me that for that translated page to disappear completely and WPML to create it again, I had to do what I explained to you in my last message" -> I'm sorry for misunderstanding you in the first place. I assumed that you already knew that deleting the translated page (including the deletion from the trash) would completely delete the page from the backend, as this is a basic workflow from WordPress and not from WPML.

Comment:
In my opinion this is the key question. I don't see a clear reason for you to assume something that I didn't have to know. Where there is no distinction, there is confusion: one thing is the basic WP procedures and another, different thing, is figuring out what needs to be done for WPML to delete the translation memory and build the translated page from scratch.

I respect your points of view Carlos, but as I explain throughout this Ticket, I cannot share them.

Best regards

septiembre 18, 2023 en 1:05 pm #14412143

oratorio-bonaiguaO

Although we have not achieved it, I want to highlight Carlos's effort to unify criteria with me. In many cases this effort is already above average.

septiembre 18, 2023 en 1:16 pm #14412425

Carlos Rojas
Supporter

Thank you very much for your patience and understanding!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.