This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bigul 1 year, 5 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Bigul.

Author Posts
May 9, 2018 at 6:35 pm #2059859

ryszardW

Dear Support Team,

I will be building a website for a client who plans to have different marketing campains for various language versions.

What would be the best approach in using WPML for such multiligual site where the main site's language is English but there would be different pages/blog post being written for English, different for Portuguese, French, Polish etc?

The page does not exist yet. We need to draft it properly before its creation, hence the question.

Thank you in advance for your help.

With kind regards,
Ryszard

May 10, 2018 at 5:55 pm #2077875

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Ryszard,

Welcome to the WPML support forum. I will do my best to help you to resolve these issues.

You can translate the contents(mainly Pages, Posts, Media, Taxonomies, Strings etc..) using WPML. For example, you can create a Page in English and translate it into French with different contents. You can do the same for the Posts also. So it will help you to switch between the different languages. Please check the following links for more details.

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/creating-translations-manually/

https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/

You can also use different domains for different languages - https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/language-setup/language-url-options/

Please share me more details about the following for a better understanding. It means different non-related contents for different languages, am I right? Is this contents will be part of a Page or Posts?

plans to have different marketing campaigns for various language versions.

--
Thanks!

Bigul

May 11, 2018 at 9:16 am #2085050

ryszardW

Dear Bigul,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the concept of multilingual pages using WPML. I suppose the main question here is, do the pages always need to have cascading structure?

What our client wants to achieve is the following:
1. The site is supposed to be in English
2. Most of the content will be transferred to Portuguese, Dutch, French and Polish.
3. Becuase the focus would at present be on Polish market, there will be Post appearing only in Polish which won't be translated into the rest of the languages.

Is then my understanding correct that we would need to create dummy English posts, so that the Polish post could be displayed? Wouldn't this negatively affect the page ranking as google would "see" the Polish text as a translation of non-existing or dummy English?

Or is there a better way of doing it? A better approach? Maybe subdomains would solve this?

I look forward to hearing from you.

With kind regards,
Ryszard

May 11, 2018 at 5:20 pm #2093017

Bigul
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kolkata (GMT+05:30)

Hi Ryszard,

Thank you for the details. You can consider different domains or subdomains for the secondary languages.

You can create Posts/Pages in Polish and there no needs to create Dummy contents in English. Becuase you can show the Polish posts without translating it to English/French or be translating it from English/French.

The default language of the website will be English, right?

--
Thanks!

Bigul

The topic ‘[Closed] Different content for different languages’ is closed to new replies.