This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Andreas W..

Author Posts
August 7, 2019 at 10:11 pm

mathieuD-19

I am trying to: speed up my website. I have a french language version as main language, and an english one. The GTmetrix report are awful: english version is A and A graded, the french version is F and A. That's not acceptable.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: hidden link

I expected to see: The same GTmetrix results.

Instead, I got:
WPML slow down site : hidden link

English
hidden link
hidden link

French
hidden link

August 8, 2019 at 8:38 am #4361065

mathieuD-19

Also, since last night, the language switcher (flags only) disappeared of my header. I managed to make it back, but it also displays in the footer in a, ugly way. I dont need it in the footer. Please, help

August 8, 2019 at 6:59 pm #4365511

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Thank you for contacting the WPML Support Form.

I can see you already managed to disable the WPML Footer Language Switcher inside of the WPML language options.

In regards to performance issues, this can be related to many variables, such as server type (shared, VPS, dedicated), CPU, memory, PHP version, theme, active plugins, etc. Usually it is not directly related to WPML.

Make sure that all installed plugins are up to date and also the theme is updated.

Here is some tips on how you can improve some points:

Check if your server meet the minimum WPML/WordPress requirements
WPML: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/
WordPress: https://wordpress.org/about/requirements/

Please take a look at this article to see how to optimize your website with WPML: https://wpml.org/2012/01/can-your-site-run-faster/

Please go to WPML >; Support > Troubleshooting and click on "Recreate ST DB Cache tables", after that visit the pages of the website a few times to recreate the cache tables.

Please check auto-registered domains in WPML > String Translation and make sure that all domains are included.

Also, disable the following settings:

Adjust IDs for multilingual functionality (WPML > Languages)
Track where strings appear (WPML> String translation)

Further, disable any additional plugin that is not related to WPML and its add-ons. If the performance enhances please start reactivating any plugins, or activate them in small groups. This way please verify at which points zou recognize a huge difference in time generation time or slow qurries.

Also please change to a default theme like TwentySeventeen to see if the issue might be theme related.

Further, you could enable the wp-debug feature to see if there are any current PHP errors given.

Add the following to your wp-config.php file:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

If you open wp-config.php and that define statement is not there, you can add it right before this line:

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

You will be able to find a complete report inside of your wp-content folder. Look for a debug.log file and provide me the results.

More information about how to activate this feature you can find here:
https://wpml.org/documentation/support/debugging-wpml/

Let me know if the site also has a slow performance of WPML and its add-ons are disabled. You might use the Page Load Time Plugin for Google Chrome for quick results.

In case you will still experience a unexpected page generation time and warnings in regards to duplicated or slow querries that are based on WPML Plugins, we would kindly like to ask you to provide a new Duplicator package.

The package we received seems to seperate the site content and the database and we can not migrate the site in this manner.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/

Duplicator is free of use for backups up to 500MB and the package includes any content, themes, plugins and the database. As your site seems to exceed this limit there is a workaround.

In the first step of the Duplicator package creation process you are able to set filters for folders that will be excluded from the package building process.

You can simply add the filters for cache and uploads and it should bring your backup package to a minimal size.

More information here:
hidden link

In case of any issues please let me know. I can offer to create a package with Duplicator PRO in case you provide access to the site.

I have enabled the private box for your next reply. Please also add here a list of your plugins and theme for our developers who will revise your site and apply fixes into the upcoming version of CMS Multilingual 4.2.8.

Kind regards
Andreas

The topic ‘[Closed] website is way too slow’ is closed to new replies.