This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 21 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by emmanuelS-7 2 months, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Shekhar Bhandari.

Author Posts
July 23, 2019 at 3:59 pm #4267803

emmanuelS-7

Hello,

I have a similar problem as described in this thread: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/make-it-possible-for-editors-to-translate-pages-the-way-administrators-do/#post-4267725
As the thread has been closed, i open a new one.

• Using Translation Management on the site
• The users who translate have a custom Editor role
• They have WPML permissions as Translators and Traduction Managers (WPML > Translation Management > Translation Role (tab)

I want these users to be able to access existing translated pages and apply their modifications in the WPML Translation Editor, just like i do as an administrator.

Currently, in frontend, they click "Edit page", this opens the edit page in admin and a WPML popup with a button "Open in Translation Editor".
They click this button, then are redirected to the Translation page (empty list) instead of the Translation Editor.
This doesn't make sense, plus they cannot edit the translated page… unless i put the pages in the basket for translation i guess… but they are the one who check the pages and apply modifications… should i send ALL pages to the translation basket before they begin to work?

I didn't understood how to disable the Translation Management as mentionned above.
I don't know if there are risks to disable it at this point.

Maybe i could add capabilities to their role as it's a custom Editor role, set with the Members plugin?
Which capabilities would allow them to access directly the Translation Editor like an administrator (see screenshot)?

I agree with @alexk-3, very complicated for my workflow.

Thanks for your help.

Regards
Emmanuel Soyer

July 23, 2019 at 4:57 pm #4268287

emmanuelS-7

So, i tried to disable all plugins (including Members), except WPML and WPML addons, and changed the theme for Twenty Nineteen: still unable to assign the WPML Translation managers permission to a standard Editor user, he's not listed in the users dropdown.

I was able to add this Editor user to WPML Translators though.

I changed the new user's role from Editor to Admin and he appeared in the users dropdown: i was able to add him to WPML Translation Managers.

Meaning, on my site, only Admin roles can be added to Translation Managers… what's wrong here?

Aaaah no, sorry, my mistake, the new user had only a Subscriber role, not Editor.
Editor can be assigned to Translation Managers indeed.

So, it could be a plugin or theme conflict ideed.

July 23, 2019 at 5:21 pm #4268389

emmanuelS-7

Now, logged as a standard Editor with all WPML permissions (Translator and Translation Manager), all plugins disabled except WPML and Twenty Nineteen's theme enabled, same problem:

• In frontend, i click on "Edit page"
• In backend, click on "Open in Translation Editor" in the WPML popup (screenshot #1))
• I'm redirected to WPML Translation with an empty list (screenshot #2) instead of the Translation Editor page

July 24, 2019 at 8:52 am #4271793

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

I'd be assisting you further on this issue.

Could you please go to WPML->Translation Management -. Translation Roles and the language pair for that editor to translate to from every language and let me know if this helps?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

July 24, 2019 at 3:09 pm #4276025

emmanuelS-7

Hello Shekhar,

I'm not sure what you suggest by "and the language pair for that editor to translate to from every language".
There's 2 languages in the site: FR (original) and EN (second).
The Editor had the permission to translate from FR to EN.
I added EN to FR (see screenshot) but there's no difference, he's still redirected.

July 25, 2019 at 9:39 am #4281407

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

To further debug this issue, I would need to check your site settings once, for this I would need temporary access (wp-admin and ftp) to your site.

So could you please provide me those details, you will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
hidden link

This info is private and available to you and WPML supporters only.
Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note:
Backup your sites before providing the credentials or if possible provide credentials for the test site

Thanks

July 25, 2019 at 11:07 am #4282215

emmanuelS-7

Hello,

I could send you the access required to the live site, backup the site beforehand, but it's not recommended to proceed to tests which could disturb the service of this site, it's live.

Plus, i already had unpredictable issues during tests on this site, maybe because it's build with Beaver Beaver / Themer and WPML doesn't play 100% well with them.

So, if you don't need to disable plugins or change the theme, we could do this i guess.

If not, we need a test site, but there's only a local one.
It could be possible to export the site with "All in One WP Migration" plugin (i use it on this site), and import the package in a standard WP installation if doable for you.

Thanks
Emmanuel

July 25, 2019 at 11:38 am #4282595

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Yes, please upload the backup file using google drive and share it with me, I will replicate it in my localhost and debug it further.

Enabled the private reply for you.

Thanks

July 25, 2019 at 6:17 pm #4285507

emmanuelS-7

Hello Shekhar,

The AIO WP Migration package of the site is ready on my GDrive, can you enable the private mode so i send you the link?

July 25, 2019 at 7:16 pm #4285709

emmanuelS-7

And i forgot, can you please provide an email so i add you to the users allowed to download the package?

July 26, 2019 at 12:36 pm #4289633

emmanuelS-7

Hello Shekhar,

I created an access to my GDrive for you with your email.
There's 2 versions of the site in the folder:

- Live (healthy)
- Dev (menus issue due to WPML)

Instructions to use the AIO WP Migration package:

1 - Create a WP basic installation
2 - Install the free version of AIO WP Migration : https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/
Increase the upload limit of the free version (512 Mo +): hidden link
3 - Import the package of the site to migrate with AIO WP Migration
4 - Login as Admin on the imported site: please enable the private message on this forum so i can send you credentials
5 - Save the permalinks

If you need to extract the package content: hidden link

Thanks
Emmanuel

July 29, 2019 at 9:34 am #4298177

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Sure, I can reset the password myself using the database so no need to provide the login details.

I started testing the issue and noticed that the page is only redirected if it's already translated, but if you try this on a new page it's working properly, can you confirm it once.

Also, I find this normal as another translator or admin has translated the content so in-order for this editor user to translate it they will need to resend it.

Thanks

July 29, 2019 at 11:14 am #4298997

emmanuelS-7

Hello Shekhar,

Thanks for your tests.

Sure, an Editor with all translating permissions has a direct access to the Translate Editor when translating a page which has not already been translated.

And i understand your point of view when you say he shouldn't have a direct access to the Translate Editor to modify a page that has already been translated by another user.
I guess he has to be invited by the admin or the page translator to modify such a page? Keeping the page control in the hands of the admin or its creator, correct?

But this workflow doesn't fit our need for this site:

• I am the admin and the only initial translator.
• Other users with a limited role (custom Editor) do check the translations and should be able to modify them if necessary.
You'll understand they need a plain and quick access to the tools in order to modify the translated pages.

I could upgrade their role to Admin, i guess they would directly access the Translate Editor this way(?) But it's not safe, i don't want them to access all the WP management…

So please, can you suggest a way to enhance the workflow described above with limited roles users?

I noticed i had many permissions as an Admin:

wpml_manage_translation_management, wpml_manage_languages, wpml_manage_theme_and_plugin_localization, wpml_manage_support, wpml_manage_woocommerce_multilingual, wpml_operate_woocommerce_multilingual, wpml_manage_media_translation, wpml_manage_navigation, wpml_manage_sticky_links, wpml_manage_string_translation, wpml_manage_translation_analytics, wpml_manage_wp_menus_sync, wpml_manage_taxonomy_translation, wpml_manage_troubleshooting, wpml_manage_translation_options, manage_translations, translate

An Editor has only two:

translate, manage_translations

Maybe i could had extra permissions to the Editor so he gets a direct access to the Translate Editor like i do as an Admin?

Thanks for your help

Emmanuel

July 29, 2019 at 1:36 pm #4300239

emmanuelS-7

I made a new test, still trying to allow the Editor to access the Translation Editor directly from the frontend:

1 - I, the Admin, create a page named "Test 3" (FR, main language) and translates it to EN, named "Test 3 EN".
2 - I add this page to the translation basket (Translation manager) and select "Any translator".

3A - The Editor visits the EN version of this page in frontend and clicks on "Edit page" in the top bar.
4A - The page opens in WP Editor in backend with an alert saying "This page is being added to WPML…" (screenshot 1) although i would expect it opens in the Translation Editor.

3B - The Editor visits the FR version of this page in frontend and clicks on "Modifier la page (Edit page)" in the top bar.
4B - The page opens in WP Editor in backend, there's a "gears" icon allowing to access the Translation Editor (screeshot 2)
5 - The Editor access the Translation Editor at least (screenshot 3).

Why should the Editor have to go through the FR edit page before accessing the EN in the Translation Editor, rather directly from the EN in frontend?

Emmanuel

July 30, 2019 at 8:33 am #4305725

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Why should the Editor have to go through the FR edit page before accessing the EN in the Translation Editor, rather directly from the EN in frontend?

The editors should go to WPML->Translations and can translate the pages without any issues, this is the normal workflow.

Answering your questions from earlier queries:

I guess he has to be invited by the admin or the page translator to modify such a page? Keeping the page control in the hands of the admin or its creator, correct?

Correct.

So please, can you suggest a way to enhance the workflow described above with limited roles users?

Could you please view the following documentation and let me know if this helps you. Using access plugins you should be able to set the roles/permissions for admins properly.

+ https://wpml.org/2016/01/allow-certain-users-edit-specific-languages/
+ https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-to-use-access-plugin-to-create-editors-for-specific-language/

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks