The SEOPress plugin allows you to optimize your WordPress website for search engines. In this guide, we walk you through the process of optimizing your WPML multilingual site using SEOPress.
- Getting Started
- Translating Global SEO Text
- Translating On-Page SEO Attributes
- How SEOPress Sitemaps Work with WPML
- Known Issues
- Getting Help
Start by installing and activating the following:
- WPML core plugin and WPML String Translation add-on
If you’re new to WPML, check out our Getting Started Guide. It quickly walks you through different translation options you can use.
SEOPress allows you to set global SEO options such as the homepage meta description, site title, organization name, and more. For example, you can set the default-language site title and the home page meta description by navigating to SEO → Titles & Meta.
To translate these texts follow the steps below:
- Go to WPML → String Translation and search for the text you want to translate.
- Click the Plus icon under the language you want to translate your site title into, add the translation, and click outside the translation field to save.
You can translate any SEO-related texts using the same steps.
WPML automatically synchronizes the non-text SEO values between different languages such as hiding SEO meta boxes for posts and pages, disabling author archives, and enabling 404 monitoring.
SEOPress adds a meta box to the content editor that allows you to set the page title, meta description, target keywords, and other SEO attributes.
You translate the page’s SEO attributes along with the page content.
- Go to the page or post editing screen.
- In WPML’s Language section, click on the plus icon corresponding to the language you want to translate your page into. This will take you to WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor screen.
- On the Advanced Translation Editor page, you will find all the on-page textual SEO attributes along with the page content available for translation.
- Click on the Translate automatically button, review the translation to ensure it is accurate, then click Complete to publish the translation.
Sitemaps provide information to search engines like Google about the different pages on your website and the relationships between them.
When you set the language URL format to Different languages in directories or Language name added as a parameter, SEOPress creates one sitemap that includes all pages in the different languages.
WPML also creates hreflang tags to let search engines know the default language of the page’s content and the translations available in different languages.
WPML works fine with this plugin, but sometimes there could be minor issues we're working on. This is expected as both plugins provide frequent updates.
In case you need help translating SEOPress options using WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.