NextGEN Gallery is one of the most popular gallery plugins for WordPress. It provides many useful gallery management features. Its integration with WPML enables easy translation of textual content generated by the plugin.
|Page in original content||Page translated to French|
- Getting started and what to check
- Displaying the Gallery on your translated pages
- Translating your NextGEN Gallery: Title, Caption, Alt Text, Description, and Tags
- Getting help from our support
Getting started and what to check
Make sure that the NextGEN gallery plugin is activated, by going to the Plugins page.
Make sure that the WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media Translation plugins are activated. Follow the steps in the WPML beginner’s guide to verify that your setup is correct.
Displaying the Gallery on your translated pages
- Go to the WPML -> Media Translation page and mark all the available options as checked. Then, click on Start, and lastly, on Apply.
- Create a page in your original language and click on the NextGEN Gallery button to add a Gallery. In our case, the original language is English.
- Once your Gallery is created, make sure to display it on the page and to publish it.
- A Language box appears with a plus (“+”) and a Duplicate button.
Click on the Duplicate button.
- Click on the pencil icon to access the French version of the page:
- Select Translate independently and Update the page.
- Translate the title of the page in French.
- Your Gallery is now displayed on the French version of your page:
- Go to the WPML-> String translation page and then search for the string that needs translation. In this case, we are looking for the caption “On this picture, you can see the mountains.”
- Click on the blue translations link:
- Write down the translation. Mark Translation is complete and Save.
You can also display the entire list of strings to translate by selecting the “plugin_ngg” domain as shown below:
However, the Gallery is still in English; it still needs to be translated. This will include translating the description, caption, and the rest of the strings.
Translating your NextGEN Gallery: Title, Caption, Alt Text, Description, and Tags
First, you need to make sure that you have activated the two translation options below.
Go to the WPML -> Theme and plugins localization page and then activate the option Translate themes and plugins using WPML’s String Translation and always load .mo files as backup. Click Save.
Stay on the same Admin page and scroll down to the Strings in the plugin section. Select NextGEN Gallery and click on the Scan selected plugins for strings button.
Your gallery is now ready to be translated.
As an example, we will translate the Caption of the image, but the steps are applicable for all Gallery elements:
Getting help from our support
We have supporters in our forum who are ready six days a week to help you. They are trained in how to use WPML with NextGEN Gallery. If you are working with a developer for your site, please use our Translation support forum to get help with translating your site’s content.
If you are setting up the site and WPML yourself, please use our Technical support forum.