Infinite is a multipurpose WordPress theme. It comes with the powerful GoodLayers page builder to help you easily design your website pages. Infinite provides many pre-built demos that you can import with one click. It also has an intuitive admin panel for customizing every part of your website. In this tutorial, you will learn how to build multilingual sites using Infinite theme, GoodLayers page builder, and WPML.
- Getting started
- WPML translation tools
- Translating pages
- Translating pages built using the GoodLayers page builder
- Translating Portfolio pages and categories
- Translating texts from Infinite theme, plugins, and other places
- Translating menus
- Translating slider
- Getting help
- Get help with building and maintaining your site
Make sure that the Infinite theme is activated, by going to the Appearance → Themes page. Additionally, activate the Goodlayers Core plugin to create pages using the GoodLayers page builder.
Make sure that the WPML Multilingual CMS, WPML String Translation, WPML Translation Management, and WPML Media Translation plugins are activated.
WPML offers two translation editors you can use for translating your site’s content:
- WPML classic translation editor (CTE).
- WPML Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) offers affordable automatic translation, a glossary, spell checker, and more!
Besides translating your site content yourself, you can also:
- Send your content for translation to a professional translation service.
- Create your own team of local translators from the Translation Roles tab in Translation Management and assign translation jobs to them.
With WPML, you can translate any type of content in your site, including pages and posts. For an easy start, read our Getting Started Guide.
You can also work with a team of translators or professional translation services to translate your site content using WPML’s Translation Management.
Translating pages built using the GoodLayers page builder is very similar to translating pages built using the WordPress default Block (Gutenberg) Editor. We advise using WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor as it speeds up the process of translating pages built using the GoodLayers page builder.
In order to translate the pages that you create using GoodLayers page builder using WPML, make sure to add your content inside rows that are included in a wrapper.
To translate Portfolio pages, personnel pages or any custom post type items, you need to follow the same steps as for translating any other types of pages. Visit our documentation page for exact steps on translating the contents yourself.
You can translate Portfolio Categories while translating your pages using the WPML translation editor screen. There, you can translate the Portfolio elements as well as your Portfolio Categories.
Furthermore, you can translate the Portfolio Categories on the WPML → Taxonomy Translation page using the following steps:
- Select the Portfolio Category from the drop-down menu and a list of categories will appear.
- Click the plus icon for translating a category of the respective language and use the dialog box that appears for adding the translation.
Keep in mind that the translations of categories are universal: if you make a change, they will be updated everywhere.
Besides contents coming from posts and pages in your site, there are usually some texts coming from other places. Most common examples are themes and plugins. To learn how to translate these texts, read our documentation page about translating strings.
In this example, we will translate the footer copyright text. You can follow these same steps to translate any text listed in the theme options.
- To edit the footer copyright text in the default language, navigate to GoodLayers → GoodLayers then click the Footer/Copyright menu item. Edit the text in the Copyright text field then click Save options.
- Navigate to WPML → String Translation and search for the copyright text. Click on the translations link and add your translated text. Then check the Translation is complete box and click the Save button.
With WPML, you can easily synchronize your language menus. For more information, please review our complete menus translation tutorial.
Infinite theme comes with the powerful Slider Revolution plugin. We have dedicated documentation that explains how to translate sliders built with Slider Revolution.
In case you need help translating your site built using Infinite theme and WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.
If you need help with building or maintaining your site, take a look at our list of WPML Contractors. They are experienced developers specialized in developing multilingual sites.