Rank Math is an SEO plugin that offers many search engine optimization tools. Learn how to make your Rank Math-optimized website multilingual with WPML.
On This Page:
- Getting Started
- Translating Global SEO Texts
- Translating On-Page SEO Attributes
- How Rank Math Sitemaps Work With WPML
- Known Issues with Rank Math
- Getting Help
Start by installing and activating the following:
If you’re new to WPML, check out our Getting Started Guide. It quickly walks you through all the translation options you can use.
One of these options is Translate Everything Automatically – the quickest way to translate and the easiest way to keep your content up to date. This feature automatically translates pages, posts, custom post types, custom fields, taxonomies, WooCommerce products, and more as you add and edit content.
Rank Math allows you to set global SEO attributes such as the breadcrumbs homepage label, homepage meta description, homepage title for Facebook, and more. You can set these attributes in Rank Math’s General Settings and Titles & Meta screens.
You can translate these attributes in WPML’s String Translation screen. As an example, let’s set the breadcrumb homepage label to be “Home”.
To translate the breadcrumbs’ homepage label and other general settings texts go to WPML → String Translation and follow these steps:
- To display all the general settings strings use the Select strings within domain drop-down to select the admin_texts_rank_math_options_general domain.
- Click on the plus icon in the row of the Home entry and add the translation. Then, simply press enter on your keyboard to save.
To translate the Titles & Meta strings, simply choose admin_texts_rank_math_options_titles from the Select strings within domain drop-down and follow the same steps.
Note: WPML synchronizes the non-textual SEO values between different languages such as enabling or disabling the Nofollow External Links and the Enable breadcrumbs function options.
Rank Math allows you to set on-page SEO attributes such as the page title, permalink, and description.
To translate the page’s SEO attributes along with the page content, follow the steps below. If your site uses Translate Everything Automatically, this will be automatically taken care of by WPML.
- Go to the page or post editing screen.
- In WPML’s Language box, click on the plus icon corresponding to the language you want to translate your page into. This will take you to WPML’s Advanced Translation Editor screen.
- In the Advanced Translation Editor, you will find all the on-page textual SEO attributes along with the page content available for translation.
- Click on the Translate automatically button, review the translation to ensure it is accurate, then click Complete.
If you choose other language URL formats, the multilingual sitemaps generated by Rank Math don’t follow the standard structure of multilingual sitemaps. WPML takes care of this by creating hreflang tags so that search engines know the default language of the page’s content and the translation available in different languages.
WPML works fine with this plugin, but sometimes there could be minor issues we're working on. This is expected as both plugins provide frequent updates.
Current unresolved issues:
- Rank Math SEO – Incorrect URL in Sitemap for Translated Front Page
- Rank Math SEO – “Remove Parent Slugs” Option Causes Category Slug Translation Error (404)
- Rank Math SEO – REST Request Redirected to Product when REST Endpoint Matches Product Slug
- Rank Math SEO – Product and Post primary categories are not synchronize to translations
- Rank Math SEO – Categories and product categories URLs aren’t filtered by language on the sitemap
- Rank Math SEO – User cannot publish product translations waiting to be reviewed
- Rank Math SEO – ERR_TOO_MANY_REDIRECTS error on WooCommerce products
- Rank Math SEO – Turning on “Strip Category Base” or “Remove base” causes issues with secondary languages
You can also search all known issues including previously resolved issues for this plugin.
In case you need help translating your site built using Rank Math SEO and WPML, visit WPML’s support forum.