Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
You are trying to use automatic translations in WPML, but the translations aren't showing, and the language switcher only displays English. You've been using the Classic Translation Editor, where fields for Spanish were blank and selecting 'Copy all fields from original' didn't resolve the issue.
Solution:
If you're experiencing this, we recommend switching from the Classic Translation Editor to the Advanced Translation Editor for automatic translations. Here are the steps to set this up:
1. Navigate to WPML->Settings-> Translation Mode and set it to 'Translate what you Choose' or 'translate everything automatically'.
2. Ensure the Automatic translation is set to your desired option.
3. Go to Translation Editor -> Editor for new translations and select 'Advanced Translation Editor (recommended)'.
4. For translations previously created using the Classic Translation Editor, change the editor to Advanced Translation Editor.

This solution might be irrelevant if it's outdated or not applicable to your case. We highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If this does not resolve your issue, please open a new support ticket at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Bobby 20 hours, 24 minutes ago.

Assisted by: Bobby.

Author Posts
September 13, 2024 at 12:02 am #16173630

keithT-7

Background of the issue:
I tried to automatically translate my site by selecting the pages I want. In the translator window for each one, English on the left side, and all fields on the right for Spanish were blank. I selected 'Copy all fields from original' because the fields were blank and submitting it blank didn't do anything either. On my site, there is only an English button in the language switcher. Clearly, I haven't set this up correctly. I watched the video many times, but they don't go into enough detail if translations aren't there.

Symptoms:
Automatic translations aren't showing. In the translator screen, the fields for Spanish were blank. Submitting it blank didn't do anything either.

Questions:
Why aren't the automatic translations showing?
How do I correctly set up automatic translations in WPML?
Why is there only an English button in the language switcher?

September 13, 2024 at 12:06 am #16173701

keithT-7

these pages etc have been "in progress" for several days, so clearly they arent really in progress

WPML Translations Que List In Progress Screenshot 2024-09-12 180450.jpg
WPML Translations Que Screenshot 2024-09-12 180450.jpg
September 13, 2024 at 1:16 am #16173786

Bobby
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/Los_Angeles (GMT-07:00)

Hi there,

Based on the screenshots it looks like you are using the Classic Translation Editor, this editor does not utilize the automatic translation and it requires the editor to add the translations manually, which is why they were empty 🙂

Using the button 'copy all fields from original' , does just that; copies all the content from the default language into the translation.

However, with the Classic Editor, you still need to check the boxes "Translation is complete" one by one until the status at the bottom gets to 100%.

This is why the translation is showing "in progress" status as it's waiting for the translator(your user) to finish the translations.

---------------------------

If you wish to use the automatic translation please follow these steps:

1. Go to WPML->Settings-> Translation Mode -> set to "Translate what you Choose" OR "translate everything automatically"(this translated the whole site without you needing to start it)

2. Automatic translation set to your desired option

3. Translation Editor -> Editor for new translations -> "Advanced Translation Editor (recommended)" , make sure this is set to that option

4. Editor for translations previously created using Classic Translation Editor
IF your site did not have previously worked with WPML and have existing translations make sure to change this to Advanced Translation Editor for now.

September 13, 2024 at 10:10 pm #16177899
keithT-7

Thank you so much!! this was very helpful. my site is now translated! thank you for helping clarify all of that. I could not have figured it out myself.

I do have a new question if thats ok to do here. I added a language switcher to the top of my home page because it is more visible than as either a main menu option or in the footer, where I also have it. but, i would prefer to have it in the Header area, but I cant figure out how to do that. I attached a screenshot from my phone screen of my home page, and also screenshots of the language switcher on this very WPML website. i like the location, the fact that its just the flags, and the drop down that is only the size of the flags. i would like it to appear exactly like that on my site if possible

New threads created by Bobby and linked to this one are listed below:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/display-language-switcher-in-header-for-mobile/

CDMP Home Page Phone Screenshot for language switcher location.jpg
WPML Screen Shot of their website language switcher location.jpg
WPML Screen Shot of their website language switcher location with drop down.jpg
September 13, 2024 at 10:22 pm #16177954

keithT-7

so I am realizing now that on my laptop my site is displaying the way it is on the WPML site. screenshot attached. so that is ok, and I can remove the one I added to my home page. its on smart phone and probably tablet view as well I would imagine. is there a way to relocate it and have the flag language switcher be visible in the header area as I marked on that screenshot? instead of hidden behind the 3 menu bars. its several steps to locate that and if i leave it in the main menu people wont realize the site can be translated and will probably leave

CDMP Home Page Phone Screenshot for language switcher open in menu.jpg
CDMP Home Page Phone Screenshot for language switcher location.jpg
CDMP Home Page Laptop Screenshot for language switcher location.jpg
September 16, 2024 at 5:06 pm #16185073

Bobby
Supporter

Hi there,

Glad to hear that I was able to help with my instructions! 🙂

We try to keep each thread to 1 issue, I will mark this thread as resolved and split the new question into its own thread and answer there.

September 20, 2024 at 4:32 am #16201119

keithT-7

thanks Bobby!

September 20, 2024 at 5:56 pm #16203926

Bobby
Supporter

You are welcome, I saw you were able to resolve the language switcher issue as well.

Have a great day!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.