Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is inquiring about the possibility of updating WPML plugins automatically via Composer without having to manually specify the plugin version each time.

Solution:
We currently do not have a feature that allows for automatic updates to the latest version of WPML plugins via Composer. We understand the inconvenience this may cause when managing multiple websites. We have taken note of this request and have created a feature ticket for it. This suggestion has been added to our backlog board for discussion in future planning sessions. Unfortunately, our schedule is full for the next 6 months, so we cannot provide an immediate solution to this request.

If this solution does not seem relevant to your situation, please feel free to open a new support ticket with us.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Marcel 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Marcel.

Author Posts
December 14, 2023 at 10:01 am #15062067

pierreb-3

Hi there, I hope you are well !

I have a question concerning installing WPML plugins via Composer. I always have to manually specify the plugins version in order to update them. For exemple :

In the repositories part of composer.json :

{
"type": "package",
"package": {
"name": "wpml/wpml-multilingual-cms",
"type": "wordpress-plugin",
"version": "4.6.5",
"dist": {
"type": "zip",
"url": "https://wpml.org//?download=6088&user_id=[USER_ID]&subscription_key=[SUBSCRIPTION_KEY]&version=4.6.5"
},
"require": {
"composer/installers": "~1.0"
}
}
},

Then in the require section :

"wpml/wpml-multilingual-cms": "4.6.5",

This works, but then in order to update the plugin, I need to manually change the version number everywhere in the composer.json file.

Is there a way to update automatically to the latest current version ? Something like this :

"wpml/wpml-multilingual-cms": ">=4.6.5",

And have a URL on the repositories' part that will fetch the latest version automatically ?

We are managing multiple websites and this is not handy...

Cheers

December 16, 2023 at 10:24 am #15077061

Marcel
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hi,

before your ticket is assigned to one of my colleagues, please allow me to walk you through some initial debugging steps. This will help speed up the support process.

We do not support composer officially, but there is a 3rd party project where the version can be handled as a placeholder: hidden link. In this project, the version gets set in the package. Currently, I'm not aware of any way to automate the input of the version number.

Best Regards
Marcel

December 16, 2023 at 10:47 am #15077113

pierreb-3

Thanks for suggesting this 3rd party project, although the problem remains with this solution.

Some projects using Composer offer a "dev-master" or "@dev" version, which always points to the latest version.
Would you be able to suggest this feature to the wpml development team ? It would be useful for developers using WP stacks like the Roots Bedrock stack.

Best regards,
Pierre

December 16, 2023 at 11:48 am #15077225

Marcel
Supporter

Hi Pierre,

we had already requests for it, and our developers decided not to implement it. The main reason is that we would need to make WPML accessible publicly, and this is not an option, for obvious reasons, as a premium plugin.

We could implement an authentication workflow that allows accessing private repositories through Composer, but, at the moment, we prefer developing features that are in higher demand. Especially as setups like Roots and Bedrocks are less popular among our client base, and we officially do not have compatibility tested for it.

I've sent your request as a feature request to our developers and will keep you updated once I receive feedback.

Best Regards
Marcel

December 16, 2023 at 11:58 am #15077239

pierreb-3

Thanks for your answer. I am not sure having a "latest" version number would imply making wpml publicy accessible, since you would still need a key and subscription number in the url to download the package, but thanks anyway for the heads up.

December 16, 2023 at 12:05 pm #15077245

Marcel
Supporter

That was what I asked my team as an alternative in case no integration is planned. Something like ?version=latest fetching the version number from another resource. Let's see what they say.

Best Regards
Marcel

December 20, 2023 at 8:51 am #15098977

Marcel
Supporter

Hi,

As of now, our team don't have any plans for this yet and our schedule is busy for the next 6 months. We have created a feature ticket and added it to the backlog board to be discussed in future.

Best Regards
Marcel

December 20, 2023 at 9:25 am #15099647

pierreb-3

Thank you, hopefully this feature will be added !

Best regards,
Pierre

pierreb-3 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2023-12-20 09:25:47.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.