Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas Bin Hasan 4 days ago.

Assisted by: Waqas Bin Hasan.

Author Posts
September 23, 2024 at 9:24 am #16208226

sandeepV

Background of the issue:
I have raised a ticket related to a critical error being raised when activating/configuring the WPML plugin. I was asked to provide the debug logs as part of the ticket resolution. Reference ticket URL: https://wpml.org/forums/topic/critical-error-when-activating-wpml-2/. I have added debug code to our WordPress staging instance.

Symptoms:
When I'm trying to find the debug information in the WPML plugin > Support screen, I see the following: 'There has been a critical error on this website. Please check your site admin email inbox for instructions.'

Questions:
How can I retrieve the debug information if the WPML Support screen shows a critical error?
What steps should I follow to resolve the critical error when activating/configuring the WPML plugin?

September 23, 2024 at 9:36 am #16208409

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Reference to our recent chat, please provide me the latest errors from debug.log, which you can find in /wp-content/ folder. You can use FTP or a file manager plugin to browse the files in your site.

Besides this, I'll also recommend to try the following:

1) Take a full backup of your site and database before proceeding.
2) Deactivate all plugins except WPML.
3) Switch to a standard theme like 2024.
4) Activate WPML String Translation.
5) Then start activating plugins one by one while keep checking for the issue. This way you 'll be able to pinpoint a conflict when & where it starts creating the problem.
6) If after activating all plugins you see that it still works fine, then switch to your theme and see if that's causing it.

Please let me know and I'll try my best to help you further on the matter.

Regards.

September 23, 2024 at 9:42 am #16208420

sandeepV

Hello Waqas, Please find the debug.log file information by accessing below url

hidden link

Regards,
Sandeep

September 23, 2024 at 1:29 pm #16210077

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the log file, that's a very large/big file. Can you please take the recent few errors from end of file and share with me?

Also have you tried the steps I mentioned in my previous message?

September 26, 2024 at 5:25 am #16223010

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

The log file is ever growing since it is direct link to the file in your site and has reached 1.3GB+. I wasn't able to open this file due to the size. However, I somehow managed to check the details and there are mostly deprecation notices (till date).

Can you please try the following?

1) Take a full backup of your site and database before proceeding.
2) Turn off the debugging, so no output is produced in debug.log, temporarily.
3) Deactivate all plugins.
4) Switch to a standard theme like 2024.
5) Activate WPML Multilingual CMS plugin first.
6) Then activate WPML String Translation plugin.
7) And then enable the debugging again.
8) After that continue activating other plugins one-by-one, until all the needed plugins are active.
9) And finally switch to your theme.

During all this, wherever you run into the same critical error, please take a note that when it happened (i.e. the plugin or theme you activated/switched), and let me know.