Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.22 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 13 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Tunde Maria Kovacs 1 year, 2 months ago.

Assisted by: Prosenjit Barman.

Author Posts
February 8, 2023 at 4:49 pm #12990303

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi, As I'm saving layouts from my website beeing on the English page, the layout is saved in the builder library but in the French section. I understand that the reason is that even if my site language is English, WPML set language must be in English too, which is not the case if you look at the attachment. If I change the WPML default language to English, will it solve the issue and more importantly, will it create any issues in any past translation or existing content on the actual website: hidden link Thank you!

February 8, 2023 at 9:56 pm #12992017

Tunde Maria Kovacs

It is for hidden link

February 9, 2023 at 9:11 am #12995549

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hello There,
Thanks for reaching out to WPML Support. I will try my best to address your concerns.

Upon analyzing the Debug info you've shared, I noticed that your site's default language is currently set to French, the admin language as well. That is why the layouts are getting saved in the French language and showing in the French section. Even if you change the site's default language to English, the layout will still be part of the French language.

Now, there are two methods that can help you in saving the layout in English.

1) Change the language from the Topbar before creating the layout: Please change the site language by following this screenshot(hidden link) and then create the layout. In this way, the layout will be saved in your preferred language.

2) Changing the Language of the Layout from the Language meta box: This method is applicable to the existing layout also. If you can open the Layout in the default editor of WordPress, you will be able to select a language for the Template. Please check this screenshot(hidden link) to understand the process.

I hope the methods mentioned above will help. Please let me know if you need further assistance. I will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

February 9, 2023 at 1:50 pm #12999331

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Will it have any impact on previous tranlations or previos posts or pages? Or that change will be only effective starting today

February 10, 2023 at 9:15 am #13005277

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
I hope this message finds you well.

I'd like to clarify that switching the default language will not cause issues with your translated content. If you switch to another language, that newly selected language will be your primary language and will be shown first when a user visits your Website.

The change will only be effective starting from the moment you make the change. However, if you have already created posts or pages in the previous default language, you may need to update the translations so that they can work according to the new language settings.

We always recommend taking a Backup of the entire site before making any site-wide changes

I hope I'm able to address your concern. Feel free to let me know if you need further assistance. I will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

February 10, 2023 at 1:02 pm #13006937

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Thank you for your reply, this sentence is not clear for me,if you have already created posts or pages in the previous default language, you may need to update the translations so that they can work according to the new language settings.

Does that mean that I will have to update my previous posts or content as we don't want changes having 160 pages. Thank you!

February 13, 2023 at 3:30 pm #13022035

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
I hope you're doing fine. Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

After changing the site's default language, Only the posts and pages that are already translated into the default language will appear first in the Admin panel. So, after changing the default language, you may need to translate certain posts or pages to that language in order to see them in the list while the default language is activated. If all the posts and pages on your site are already translated to the default language, then there is no problem. You'll not face any issues after changing the default language. That is what I meant!

Let me know if there is anything else that you need help with. I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

February 13, 2023 at 4:19 pm #13022603

Tunde Maria Kovacs

I see! If all my pages are already translated, I shouldn't need to update in this case? If I change the language and see that I need to update several pages, can I switch back the language and be back like it was? Thank you!

February 14, 2023 at 4:42 pm #13033185

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,

The answer to both questions is YES! If the pages and posts you've are already translated into the default language, then no update will be required. All the contents will respond accordingly.

If you change the default language back to the previous language, you will also not encounter any issues. The content will adjust accordingly to the new default language. I hope you can understand.

Let me know if there is anything else you need help with. I will be happy to help.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

February 14, 2023 at 6:24 pm #13033573

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Hi, almost done! In the past, i was translating by doing 2 versions and using the connect to translation feature. So the question is Will after reverting the language, WPML will ignore these past translations as they were not made like today and will force me to update, translate all that content because we have a lot! Thank you very much!

February 16, 2023 at 8:44 am #13046439

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,
I hope this message finds you well. I'm very sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

To understand if changing the website's default language affects the pages connected via the "Connect to translation" feature, I created two variations of a page, linked them together using that functionality, and later changed the site's default language.

I can confirm that everything remains the same as before. Both versions of the page are displaying correctly and the URL for each page/post is being automatically updated according to the default language. Moreover, no issues have been identified during the testing phase and I hope you'll also experience the same.

So, Please don't worry about the pages that are connected via "Connect to translation' while changing the default language. But, to be on the safe side, always make sure to take a full backup of the site and database before making any important changes.

Let me know if there is anything else you need help with. I will be happy to assist you.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

February 16, 2023 at 1:35 pm #13049497

Tunde Maria Kovacs

Thank you very much!! When I will create a post to translate, does it matter or not to create it in the original language first? before translating I'm asking because before, I was creating it in English first and translating to French after (Even if the default language is French) Thank you!

February 17, 2023 at 2:14 pm #13057929

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Hi There,

It's generally recommended to create content in the default language first. WPML uses the default language as a reference for your translated content. By creating your content in the default language first, you're basically creating a "master" version of your content.

However, creating a page or post in the secondary language first shouldn't cause any significant issues, but, not it is not the best way, Once you connect the page in the secondary language to the page in the default language, you may receive an update notification and need to update the content. Apart from that, you'll not face any issues. But, we still do not recommend creating pages in a secondary language first.

I hope I'm able to address your concern. If there's anything else I can help you with, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,
Prosenjit

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.