Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.65 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 51 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by lamineD 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
January 3, 2024 at 11:52 am #15146297

lamineD

I am trying to: set the default language to French.

Link to a page where the issue can be seen: staging environment

I expected to see: FR as the default language hidden link

Instead, I got: hidden link

Hi,

The default language is not applying.

I am working on my staging environment (I am moving my site from one environment (store, blog, forum) to a multisite (/store; /blog; /forum) to spread performance needs.

I set French as the default language

hidden link

but it's not applying:

hidden link

hidden link

It's an issue to translate strings. (Tagline, etc...)

When I deactivate WPML, french is the default language.

Please advise.

Regards

January 3, 2024 at 12:15 pm #15146405

lamineD

On site settings in the multisite network admin dashboard, language is also set to "fr".

hidden link

January 3, 2024 at 12:18 pm #15146410

lamineD

On Network settings, language is also set to "Fr."

hidden link

January 3, 2024 at 1:25 pm #15146786

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Please connect to your server and open the wp-config.php file which is located in the root folder of WordPress.

You likely define the WP Language inside this file and this is why the changes are not getting applied.

Guide:
https://developer.wordpress.org/apis/wp-config-php/#language-and-language-directory

If this suggestion will not solve the issue, please let me know.

Best regards
Andreas

January 3, 2024 at 2:18 pm #15147173

lamineD

Hi,

I am using WordPress 6.4.2. I don't understand why I must use these tips dedicated to WordPress v3.9.6 and below.

I don't like to have too many custom codes on my sites. Is there any other solution?

My production site is still on "Mono" WordPress, and I don't get this issue; as I said, when I deactivate WPML, my Multisite WordPress is set to French.

Regards

January 3, 2024 at 4:10 pm #15147934

Andreas W.
Supporter

This is not a tip related to WordPress v3.9.6.

It simply could be that there is a line inside the wp-config.php file that sets the site default language always to English, like:

define( 'WPLANG', 'en_EN' );

Could you please revise and confirm if this is the case?

January 3, 2024 at 4:17 pm #15147937

lamineD

There is no such line on my wp-config.

January 3, 2024 at 4:33 pm #15147993

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I would like to offer to have a closer look at the problem and request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to the website to investigate this issue further.

You can find the required fields below the comment section when you log in to leave the next reply. The information you provide is private, which means only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please be sure to make a backup copy of the website and database before allowing us access.
If you can't see the wp-admin / FTP fields, your post and website credentials are set as PUBLIC. DO NOT publish the data unless you see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

I may have to install a plugin called "All In One WP Migration" to make a copy of the website where I can investigate the issue further.

However, I would also be very grateful if you could provide a staging site or copy of the website from your server yourself for this purpose.

If you have any questions about creating such a staging site, you can consult your hosting provider. Just take note that WPML should be registered on this site again.

If you are unable to provide such a copy of the site for testing, please let me know on this ticket.

The private response form looks like this:
hidden link

Next time you reply, click "I still need assistance."

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are obliged to request this information individually on each ticket. We may not access any access information not specifically submitted on this ticket in the private response form.

Best regards
Andreas

January 6, 2024 at 9:49 am #15156566

lamineD

Hi, I am doing some more tests. I will come back to you ASAP.

January 6, 2024 at 5:29 pm #15156853

Andreas W.
Supporter

I would suggest you setup a copy of the site and disable WPML.

If after that you can switch the site's default language to WordPress, there might be some kind of unexpected issue.

Then I would test with only WPML and no other plugins, to see if the issue persists, and if not, then enable the plugins one by one, to see when the issue occurs again and to identify the plugin that is causing the issue.

Also, make sure to test with a WordPress default theme like Twenty Twenty-Four.

In case you need my assistance running tests, take note that the private reply form is enabled again.

This ticket will remain open for 14 days and close itself automatically in case we do not receive any further reply from you.

January 9, 2024 at 11:20 am #15164056

Andreas W.
Supporter

My apologies for the delay in answering, as I do not work on Sundays and Mondays.

I tried to connect to your site but could not pass the server protection dialog.

Please verify and provide the information again inside the private reply form, which I have now enabled again.

January 9, 2024 at 12:29 pm #15164333

lamineD

***CREDENTIALS REMOVED BY SUPPORT AGENT***

January 9, 2024 at 2:26 pm #15165173

Andreas W.
Supporter

The greyed-out language options inside Settings > General is expected, as WPML takes over the language setting of the site.

Your site is working as expected and new strings are registered in French. See screenshot.

For existing strings that are not assigned to the correct source language you can adjust this manually:
https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/how-to-change-the-source-language-of-strings/

test.png
January 9, 2024 at 3:26 pm #15165490

lamineD

I am sorry but my site in English is still in French for content declaration.

View source: view-source:hidden link

Screenshot: hidden link

I don't understand where I translate my general settings blog in English? hidden link

January 9, 2024 at 3:28 pm #15165492

lamineD

Addendum

If I use facebook debug, and share English URL, the result is in Frech: hidden link

The topic ‘[Closed] Default language is not applying’ is closed to new replies.