Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 4.45 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Mateus Getulio 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Mateus Getulio.

Author Posts
July 16, 2024 at 9:47 am #15959492

jerisscloudcenter

<b>Background of the issue: </b>
I discovered that the table "wp_icl_strings" from Gravity Forms Multilingual has an absolutely enormous size, about 12.4 MB. The site I need help with is [private].

<b>Symptoms: </b>
The table "wp_icl_strings" from Gravity Forms Multilingual is about 12.4 MB, which is an absolute performance killer.

<b>Questions: </b>
Why is the "wp_icl_strings" table so large?
How can I reduce the size of the "wp_icl_strings" table?

July 16, 2024 at 10:13 am #15959723

Prosenjit Barman
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Dhaka (GMT+06:00)

Hi There,
Thanks for reaching out to WPML Support.

Before this thread gets assigned to my colleague, I'd like to offer some initial guidance or potential solutions.

I understand the issue. Gravity Forms Multilingual might be registering numerous form fields, notifications, and other elements as strings, which could be causing the size of the `icl_strings` table to increase. To reduce the size of the `wp_icl_strings` table, please try the following steps:

- Go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting and scroll down to click on 'Cleanup and optimize string tables'.
- Once the process is completed, click on "Clear invalid strings". A page containing the strings that are not used or are linked to incorrect translation data will be loaded. Select the unwanted strings and delete them.
- You can also go to "WPML > String Translation" and delete the strings that you don't need. You can also remove strings by domain by following this guide: https://wpml.org/documentation/getting-started-guide/string-translation/#deleting-strings

I hope the information above will help, But, feel free to reach us if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Best regards,
Prosenjit

July 17, 2024 at 9:36 am #15965200

jerisscloudcenter

Hello,

1) I've clicked on "CLEAR INVALID STRINGS" and the next screen shows nothing.

See screenshot.

2) I've clicked on "CLEANUP AND OPTIMIZE STRING TABLES"

The table size hasn't changed.

3) Manually deleting strings from String Translation, while it contains thousands and thousands and thousands of strings is not an option...

What else can be done ?

Thanks

Clear Invalid Strings.jpg
July 17, 2024 at 5:01 pm #15967539

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Portuguese (Brazil) (Português )

Timezone: America/Sao_Paulo (GMT-03:00)

Hello there,

Can you please make a full backup of the site and then run the following query to reduce the size of the table?

DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0;

This SQL query will delete the strings that have not been translated from the WPML -> String Translation.

Those strings can be added again later by scanning themes and plugins for strings.

Thank you, please let us know how that goes.
Mateus

July 17, 2024 at 7:30 pm #15968229

jerisscloudcenter

Here is the result of the query provided for the table "wp_icl_strings".

BEFORE : 23,688 rows for a table size of 14.5 MB

AFTER : 7,017 rows for a table size of 11.5 MB

However, even tough the table has reduced, this decrease is not sufficient to resolve the fact that the size of this table is too high.

For only 7,000 rows, it doesn't make sense that this table needs 11.5 MB.

Let's compare it with "wp_icl_string_translations" which has 11,000 rows for only 2 MB !

AFTER.jpg
BEFORE.jpg
July 17, 2024 at 7:45 pm #15968322

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hey there,

Thank you for testing the procedure above. I'm afraid I'll need to take a closer look at the database to understand what caused this size.

In order for us to take a closer look at this issue, I'd like your help creating a package of your website and sending it to us.

Please use the plugin Duplicator(hidden link) to create a full copy of your website so we can take a look at it and see what's causing the issues with the table's size.

Please check our tutorial on how to create a Duplicator package here: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

If you come across problems while creating it, please feel free to ignore(exclude from the backup) both uploads and cache folders.

I'm enabling the proper field for your to share this copy, you'll see it on your next response.

Alternatively, you may use any file sharing service that you prefer and share the link in the ticket(your next response is being marked as private, only you and I have access to it).

Thank you, please let me know.

July 18, 2024 at 5:56 pm #15974028

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello there,

I'm getting an error 'DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN' trying to access the site.

I waited a few hours to see if it was due to some propagation issue but the site remains unavailable to me.

Do I have to manually point it to a given IP in my hosts file?

I'm enabling the private fields again in case you need to share new details.

Thank you.
Mateus

July 19, 2024 at 2:24 pm #15978907

Mateus Getulio
Supporter

Hello,

I analyzed your database and I didn't find anything unusual, it seems to be a health database, specifically when it comes to WPML.

After reviewing and optimizing the wp_icl_strings table, here's what we found:

Optimization Steps Taken:

- I ran the following query to delete untranslated strings:

DELETE FROM `wp_icl_strings` WHERE status = 0;

After deleting the untranslated strings I also needed to optimize the table, I used the WPML troubleshooting tools to clean up and optimize the string tables:

- Went to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting.
- Clicked on "Cleanup and optimize string tables".
- Clicked on "Clear invalid strings".

I also noticed that over 7,600 strings are part of the default domain, which is used across by the WordPress itself and other plugins/themes. Part of these strings are automatically downloaded when a new language is added into the site. So for example, you had translations added for those strings for both languages: Dutch and French when those languages were added to the site.

The wp_icl_strings table stores a wide range of strings, including those from pages and posts(in the format of packages), plugins, themes, and even the WordPress UI itself. This explains the size of the table. Given this content a size of 10 MB is reasonable.

For further details, you can refer to the WPML documentation on String Translation tables: https://wpml.org/documentation/support/wpml-tables/

If you have any more questions or need further assistance, feel free to reach out.

Best regards,
Mateus

The topic ‘[Closed] Enormous size of "wp_icl_strings" database table from "gravityforms-multilingual" (about 12.4 MB…’ is closed to new replies.