This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Yvette 2 years, 2 months ago.

Assigned support staff: Yvette.

Author Posts
August 8, 2017 at 9:09 pm #1337938

Ciprian Fodor

Hello,

I'm trying to import some post categories that come in multiple languages. However, after all the imports are done the translations do not seem to be linked. If I go to a category in the base language it shows it has no translation (there is a "+" symbol next to each secondary language) and also if I go to a category in a secondary language, the selected value in the "This is a translation of: " is "-- None --"

I'm following the documentation here
https://wpml.org/documentation/related-projects/wpml-all-import-plugin-website-import-with-wpml/
which unfortunately is kind of bare when it comes to importing taxonomies. As test subjects, I've created two CSVs, in Romanian and English.
RO:
Connector,Name
1,Categoria1
2,Categoria2

EN:
Connector,Name
1,CategoryOne
2,CategoryTwo

For the base language import I set the Connector as the Unique Identifier and Name as the name of the category. As for the secondary language import, the Name got the same use, while the Connector was set as the Unique Identifier in the "Automatic Record Matching to Translate".

As for the link, I'd rather not share it publicly. The information I provided above should be more than enough to reproduce the issue.

Thank you in advance for the help!

August 9, 2017 at 10:30 am #1338310

Yvette
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) Spanish (Español )

Timezone: Europe/Madrid (GMT+02:00)

Hello

I will be helping you with this issue.

1. Technical Information on you environment
Could you please provide information about your environment by following thsese steps: http://wpml.org/faq/provide-debug-information-faster-support/

2. Clarifications
2.1 Please confirm that you are only importing categories (not posts and categories).
2.2 Have you tried the import using a minimal system setup (e.g. only a standard WordPress Theme is activated and non-WPML AI plugins are deactivated)? Is the result the same?
2.3 Have you tried with a reduced set of your test file with same result? Can you send me the contents of this reduced set in the private are that I open?

Thanks for the extra information.

August 9, 2017 at 4:26 pm #1338651

Yvette
Supporter

Hi there.

I know your file is basic - but could you please upload the contents so I can forward them to our WPML All Import guy here?

I´d also like to try to import it in my own system to replicate the problem. If I can, then it´s a problem on our end. If I cannot, then the problem may be with your configuration. So it´s also a good diagnostic tool

I´ll open the private area again for the link to the file.
Thanks.

August 10, 2017 at 7:06 am #1339037

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

Thank you very much. I was able to replicate this issue and I am getting some consultation from our 2nd tier support.

You are right: a) the documentation could be improved b) the case is very simple and should work

Thanks for your patience

August 10, 2017 at 2:59 pm #1339434

Yvette
Supporter

Hello.

I just wanted to update you that, surprisingly, the current thought is that WPML All Import will only support import of "posts with taxonomies" and not "taxonomies". The taxonomies need to be created manually previous to the import of data.

This does not seem very clear in the end-user documentation and I am getting a final confirmation on this from our development team.

I thought I would tell you this so you can continue working with this knowledge. I will update this ticket with the final confirmation on this when our developers return to work tomorrow.

Kind regards.

August 11, 2017 at 6:59 am #1339935

Ciprian Fodor

Wow,

This is sadly unexpected. It seemed like a must-have functionality to me... The category tree I'm trying to import has about 360 entries in one language, about 150 for another and some more 150 for a third one, so importing them by CSV and then manually linking them does not seem like a very futile task...
Is there any chance this feature will be implemented in the near future? If not, I strongly advise you to implement this. Your software is lacking a vital use case 🙂
However, I'm still hoping that your development team will tell you that you can, in fact, import taxonomies 😛

Thanks for the help!
Waiting for the confirmation!

August 11, 2017 at 7:31 am #1339970

Yvette
Supporter

Hello again.

I have confirmation from the development team as follows:

"This is not supported yet . WPML All Import only allows to import catgeories from xml files which has posts/pages/etc and one of the column has categories."

They have asked me to escalate this ticket as a feature request as they are indeed planning improvements. However, I would not have any time frame to share with you as to when it will be impemented.

At the moment, I can only escalate this ticket to them so they can create an internal work order for the development cycle.

If you have no further questions, I will go ahead and do that.

The topic ‘[Closed] Importing categories’ is closed to new replies.