Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 9:00 – 12:00 -
- 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 13:00 – 18:00 -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

This topic contains 14 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Kor 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Assisted by: Kor.

Author Posts
August 20, 2024 at 3:37 pm

alexandrosK-5

Background of the issue:
I have a major problem with 404 pages after updating the VikWP plugin from version 1.4.0 to 1.4.2 on my site hidden link. The issue occurs in both English and Greek. I have restored a backup and contacted VIK plugin support. They mentioned that the issue is related to the file structure of the plugin, which manipulates PHP variables inside the navigation. They suggested ensuring that the links and permalinks have their proper directory for the specific language, such as 'www.yourwebsite.com/en/your-car/'.

Symptoms:
404 pages appear after updating the VikWP plugin from version 1.4.0 to 1.4.2.

Questions:
What can I do to resolve the 404 pages issue after updating the VikWP plugin?
How can I ensure that the links and permalinks have their proper directory for the specific language?

August 20, 2024 at 3:58 pm
August 20, 2024 at 3:58 pm #16087743

Kor
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Singapore (GMT+08:00)

Thanks for your patience.

Here is the ticket and please let me know how it goes.

August 27, 2024 at 10:28 am #16108960

alexandrosK-5

They replay that:

Vik Rent Car - Problem after update

Cesare - Staff replied:

Hello Alexandros,

WPML is a plugin that the majority of our clients use, for this reason, we know that our plugin is fully compatible with it. As said in the previous message, please, try to change the permalinks structure, so that the website will find the pages under the language folder.
This means to have the permalinks structure should be (depending on the language) "www.yourwebsite.com/en/your-car/". It should be possible to change the structure directly within the WPML configuration page.

We remain at your disposal should you have more questions.

Kind regards,
Cesare

August 27, 2024 at 12:03 pm #16109587

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

As I've mentioned, this is a compatibility issue and you'll need to contact the plugin author and ask them to join our Go global program here https://wpml.org/documentation/support/go-global-program/ so that we can check and make the new version of Vik Rent Plugin compatible with WPML.

A method to speed this up would be to install the required plugins on our sandbox site here hidden link and try to replicate the issue over there.

Once this is replicated, I will create a report and escalate this further to our 2nd Tier Support where they can look into this for us.

August 27, 2024 at 2:35 pm #16110619

alexandrosK-5

Dear Kor,

1. I am unable to compel the plugin creator to join your Go Global program. I have mentioned it to them three times, but it seems they are not interested.

2. A sandbox site won't be helpful, as the issue occurs after the update on the live site.

3. Please escalate this to 2nd Tier Support.

Thank you.

August 27, 2024 at 2:46 pm #16110646

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Sorry to hear that the plugin author is not interested in making the plugin compatible with WPML. As mentioned earlier, we need to be able to replicate it on our sandbox site here hidden link before I could escalate this.

Could you share the older version of the Vik Rent Car plugin(Google Drive) so that I can upload it to the sandbox site? Then, I will try to create some examples and hopefully, I could replicate this.

Also, are you using the free version https://wordpress.org/plugins/vikrentcar/ or the paid version? hidden link

August 27, 2024 at 2:50 pm #16110694

alexandrosK-5

I dont have the older version in zip!
You have the codes of the site, can you tranfer the site to sandbox?
I use the paid vesrion

hidden link
and
hidden link

August 28, 2024 at 6:59 pm #16116800

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your patience. I've tried to replicate the issue here hidden link but it works fine.

Could you check and see if I've left out any steps to replicate the issue?

Login Link : hidden link

August 29, 2024 at 6:34 am #16117614

alexandrosK-5

Thanks, so what can I do on the site since it's not working? I think it might be a URL problem, like the Vik plugin support mentioned.

August 29, 2024 at 8:14 am #16118323

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your reply.

Can you make the changes to the URL slug? I'm not sure what you did to the URL on your end.

August 29, 2024 at 8:38 am #16118472

alexandrosK-5

This is the problem for the beginning. Please escalate this to 2nd Tier Support.

September 1, 2024 at 7:31 pm #16129495

Kor
Supporter

Thank you for your patience.

I regret any inconvenience caused, but to proceed with troubleshooting, I kindly ask for a snapshot of the site. Alternatively, with your permission, I can create one myself. For this purpose, I typically recommend using the free plugin "Duplicator." If you're already familiar with Duplicator (https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/), please skip the following steps and simply send me the archive file you downloaded.

To guide you further, please adhere to these instructions:

1. View the Duplicator instructions video: hidden link

2. Consult WPML's instructions on providing supporters with a copy of your site: https://wpml.org/faq/provide-supporters-copy-site/

3. If the archive file exceeds 400MB, please use Duplicator's file filters to exclude cache, wp-uploads directory, media, and archive files.

Once you have the archive file ready, kindly share the link with us. You can utilize platforms like Google Drive, Dropbox, or similar for file sharing, as the snapshot file might be large.

Please note that your next reply will be private, visible only to you and me. You can paste the file link there. Rest assured that once the issue is resolved, I will delete the local site.

September 2, 2024 at 4:40 am #16129872

alexandrosK-5

Hello! You have my premision, so please create one by yourself. Thanks.

September 3, 2024 at 4:29 pm #16136902

Kor
Supporter

Thanks for your patience.

I'm able to download a copy of the site and I will check and escalate this to our 2nd Tier Support. I will come back to you once I've feedback.

The topic ‘[Closed] Problem after vikwp plugin update’ is closed to new replies.