This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Jamal 1 month, 1 week ago.

Assigned support staff: Jamal.

Author Posts
August 30, 2019 at 4:18 pm #4488329

pabloP-6

Hi WPML Team,

I currently manage a WordPress site in Spanish, as first language, and English, as secondary language.

At first, I used the technique of "duplicating pages" and it worked well for me, but then I strarted using "String Translation" and everything got complicated.

What happens is that every time I update in Spanish, its English version is automatically converted to Spanish, including permalink and page <title>.

To solve it, I do the following:
- I Go to /wp-admin/admin.php?page=wpml-string-translation and update the outdated content.
- I Go to /wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=page and edit permalink and <title>

This brings me numerous problems every time I need to make an update or change. Surely I have something wrong set up or I am doing something wrong. How can I solve this?

Thanks in advance!
B

August 30, 2019 at 4:48 pm #4488407

Jamal
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) French (Français )

Timezone: Africa/Casablanca (GMT+01:00)

Hello B,

Thank you for contacting WPML Support. I will be glad to help with this.

I believe that you are using the wrong workflow. You must not translate page content through WPML->String translation. Even if you can find content there, it is probably because you are using a page builder. And WPML stores fragment translations of page builders as strings to use it again in the translation editors.
Instead, you should send your page to translation through WPML->Translation Management, and use the WPML Translation editors to complete the translation.

I hope this answers your question. I'll remain at your disposal.

Best regards,
Jamal
WPML Support

August 30, 2019 at 4:51 pm #4488409

pabloP-6

Hi Jamal

How is this "Translation editors to complete the translation?

Thanks in advance

September 2, 2019 at 1:58 pm #4497541

Jamal
Supporter

Hello,

My apologies for the late reply, I was not working during the weekend.
WPML offers two translation editors:
- Classic Translation Editor: Read more about it here https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/using-the-translation-editor/
- Advanced Translation Editor: Read more about it here https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/advanced-translation-editor/

I'll remain at your disposal.

Best regards,
Jamal

September 2, 2019 at 10:41 pm #4500151

pabloP-6

Hi Jamal

Thank you.

Which of these 2 options do you suggest? It is a simple site in 2 languages (Spanish and English) and only 1 person will be dedicated to upload content in both languages.

I looked at the tutorial but I don't understand what the workflow should be now and what must I do to update or change pages in spanish (first Language) or English (second Language).

Thanks!

September 3, 2019 at 9:40 am #4502951

Jamal
Supporter

Hi,

You can use any of both editors as it suits you, the advanced translation editor has some advanced features like machine translation(subject to words quota, we offer 2000 free words and you will need to by more if you need) and translation memory(suggests translations for similar strings). This is configurable in WPML->Settings.

The workflow to follow is the following:
1. Always update the primary language content first(Spanish).
2. Either use Translation Management to send translation jobs and take them from WPML->Translations or use the icons in pages/posts lists or in page/post edit page to translate into the secondary language(English). See the attached images for icons. Make sure to complete the translation.

WPML->String Translation is used for translating WordPress, theme's and plugins' strings and options. See attached images(default-wp-string.png and woocommerce-option-price-decimal-separator.png)

Best regards,
Jamal