Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 1.61 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- - 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by marcoW-2 17 hours, 13 minutes ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
September 26, 2024 at 8:38 am

marcoW-2

Background of the issue:
We have a website with the Houzez theme, and I had activated automatic translations during the setup of the website. Now it seems that things are translated without my knowledge, things that should not be translated at all, simply because they already are translated! For instance, in theme settings, there is a translation section, in which we can also rename labels. As the main language is Dutch, all should be Dutch. About a week ago, all of a sudden all was translated into Spanish. I reverted it, and now half is in English. Houzez support confirms it is caused by WPML. Apart from that, taxonomies are translated over again, and now it seems translation codes appear on the front end of the website.

Symptoms:
Unexpected automatic translations are occurring, causing issues with language consistency and translation codes appearing on the front end.

I just saw we used $ 55,03 in pay as you go. What??? How can that happen after switvhing off automatix translations?

Questions:
How can I switch off automatic translations in WPML?
Why are translations happening without my knowledge?
How can I ensure that certain sections remain in Dutch?
How can I fix the issue of translation codes appearing on the front end?

September 26, 2024 at 9:06 am
September 26, 2024 at 4:48 pm #16226843

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

Please take kindly note that credits are not refundable unless they were caused by a bug inside WPML.

According to our log 96064 credits were used. The jobs were for the post type "Properties".

Please verify the following:

I suggest you disable the automatic translation for "Properties" in WPML > Settings > Post Type Translation.

Even better, switch WPML > Translation Mode to "Translate what you choose".

This way nothing will be translated automatically in the background.

I can offer to take a closer look into the reported issue about the Houzez Theme Options. Would you be able to provide me access to a staging site for this purpose?

Best regards
Andreas

September 26, 2024 at 5:10 pm #16226904

marcoW-2

There is no staging site, I aready told your collegue.

I cant find that setting "post type translation". Can you switch that off?

The setting about " translate what you choose" was selected, but anyway it did translate strings it should not translate.

please have a closer look at the issue, as I cannot repair the translations every week allover again.

September 26, 2024 at 5:42 pm #16227039

Andreas W.
Supporter

I can see that this issue could be related to:
https://wpml.org/errata/houzez-theme-translations-revert-when-the-default-language-is-not-english/

Should we try to implement this old workaround and see if this will still solve the issue?

We can send take further steps to escalate the issue internally.

September 27, 2024 at 11:27 am #16229618

marcoW-2

yes, please do!

September 27, 2024 at 5:43 pm #16231040

Andreas W.
Supporter

My apologies, but the provided access information that was provided on chat yesterday is today not longer available.

I would like to offer to have a closer look at the problem and request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to the website to investigate this issue further.

You can find the required fields below the comment section when you log in to leave the next reply. The information you provide is private, which means only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please be sure to make a backup copy of the website and database before allowing us access.
If you can't see the wp-admin / FTP fields, your post and website credentials are set as PUBLIC. DO NOT publish the data unless you see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

I may have to install a plugin called "All In One WP Migration" to make a copy of the website where I can investigate the issue further.

However, I would also be very grateful if you could provide a staging site or copy of the website from your server yourself for this purpose. This step would only be required if the issue is replicable on such a staging site.

If you have any questions about creating such a staging site, you can consult your hosting provider. Just take note that WPML should be registered on this site again.

If you are unable to provide such a copy of the site for testing, please let me know on this ticket.

The private response form looks like this:
hidden link

Next time you reply, click "I still need assistance."

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are obliged to request this information individually on each ticket. We may not access any access information not specifically submitted on this ticket in the private response form.

September 28, 2024 at 10:10 am