Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

No supporters are available to work today on this forum. Feel free to create tickets and we will handle it as soon as we are online. Thank you for your understanding.

Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
- 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 9:00 – 18:00 -
- - - - - - -

Supporter timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

This topic contains 18 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Waqas Bin Hasan 2 days, 8 hours ago.

Assisted by: Waqas Bin Hasan.

Author Posts
August 19, 2024 at 9:41 pm #16085276

martinM-117

Background of the issue:
i just finished translating all the blog posts I do have for "Corfu" which has a huge number of internal links to in between in text and on buttons.
So after I finished it, I clicked the magical button in setting "Translate Link Targets" because all links called pages in original language. After clicking and waiting few minutes, it said that 0 links were changed and no link direct to the translated content at all.
This was one of the main points buying this plugin at all, I cant change links manually, its a torture and it will be thousands of them.

Symptoms:
Translate Link Targets not doing its job as intended

Questions:
I need you to fix in, I cant possibly do it manually for thousands of internal links

August 20, 2024 at 8:10 am #16086084

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Karachi (GMT+05:00)

Hi,

Thank you for contacting the support.

I checked on your site for any mismatched links, specially in Europe -> Greece and can see these linked properly.

Can you please explain more about the issue? It'd be great if you can record your screen showing the problem in detail, for better understanding.

Besides this, can you also try the following?

1) Take a full backup of your site and database before proceeding.
2) Deactivate all plugins except WPML.
3) Switch to a standard theme like 2024.
4) Check for the issue if it still happens.

Please let me know and I'll try my best to help you further on the matter.

Regards.

August 20, 2024 at 6:05 pm #16088038

martinM-117

Hi,

Yes all internal link are proper.
I would try to explain it better:

1) I do have creating blog in my mother language "Slovakia" and setup all internal link in between my content.

2) Then Im translating it using ATE into "english" and setup all the internal links via ATE as you can see on SS number 2. But that links are locked and redirecting to original language content

3) As I finished translating whole cathegory "Corfu", so to be sure all pages and blog posts are done, I wanted to use WPML "translate link targets" so it change all the internal links to redirect to translated contect.

And thats the point which isnt working.
If you check my blog posts in "Corfu" for eg.:

hidden link
where are internal links to Agios Spiridon and Kastellli or Chomi Beach. This shoudl redirect to proper translated pages, but it redirects to pages in original language "Slovakian", so the magic tool doesnt do its work, as it not changed the link to translated content and thats why I do need your assistance to make it work, as I have hundreds of internal links and dont want to edit each one manually.
And that the point I bought WPML as its stated that it works automatically and all internal links should go to translated content.
You can login into my page and check in from backend, maybe there is a bug, or some mistake in settings. Login information I shared with your colleague already as Im trying to solve another issue with WPML now.
And last resolved issue from your colleague was by adding custom PHP code, so maybe in the code there is some issue, I honestly dont know as Im not that much tech savvy.

Thanks
Regards
Martin

August 20, 2024 at 7:03 pm #16088124

martinM-117

Just a thought, isnt it a problem with WMPL sticky links?

August 21, 2024 at 5:28 am #16088657

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the details, I was able to observe the problem in your site. I took login information from other ticket to check quickly, without making any change.

Looks like you're using BeBuilder for that content and probably the issue is somewhat related.

Since other ticket is also waiting for your feedback and requires you to test in a minimal setup. I'll recommend creating a staging or test site, where we can check by deactivating other plugins and switching theme. And your live site isn't compromised.

I request temporary access (WP-Admin and FTP), preferably to a test site where the problem has been replicated.

Your next answer will be private, to share this information safely.

IMPORTANT: Please take a complete backup of the site to avoid data loss. I may need to activate/deactivate plugins also.

See https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/ for details on privacy and security.

August 22, 2024 at 7:51 pm #16096649

martinM-117

Hello,
I managed to make a test environment, where you can try to debug it. You can do anything there, just I hope, you will find where the issue lies. I do have updraft there so when you broke it, Ill just restore saved version from live site again

hidden link

*** removed from public message ***

Thank you alot for your help.
Ill be unavaiable from 24.8-3.9 so If you need my assistance please dont close the ticket until ill back.
Regards
Martin

August 23, 2024 at 5:53 am #16097205

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the updates.

Please do not write credentials in a public message but ask to enable the private message when needed. For now the credentials have been removed from the public message for safety.

Your next answer will be private, to share this information safely again.

IMPORTANT: If you don't see the section for providing access information, do not write in the message box or the information may appear as public.

See https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/ for details on privacy and security.

August 23, 2024 at 12:49 pm #16098591

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for the access, I was able to login. I am working on this and 'll get back to you on Monday.

August 26, 2024 at 5:58 am #16102393

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience, I 've checked a few things and need to investigate more. Unfortunately right now site seems to respond very slowly, so I'll get back to it shortly to continue further.

I'll update you accordingly.

August 26, 2024 at 12:36 pm #16104464

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation.

I checked again, although I'm still getting connection timed out errors (ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT) intermittently, but I was able to find the problem.

Apparently, it is only happening with BeBuilder elements, while if you add the content in standard WP editor with links, these are linked properly.

So for the time being, I did the following to fix a couple of posts(hidden link and hidden link):

- Opened the translation of the post in ATE for editing.
- Found the links by typing https:// or the full link used in the content (see attached).
- In translation side, used the translated version (i.e. /en/...) for the link.
- Completed and saved the translation.

Then it worked fine in the frontend.

I'm checking further and 'll try to reproduce in a separate environment and 'll escalate accordingly. I'll keep you posted accordingly.

Screenshot 2024-08-26 173402.jpg
Screenshot 2024-08-26 173355.jpg
August 27, 2024 at 5:06 am #16107279

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

I was able to reproduce the problem in a fresh test site and 've escalated the matter to our compatibility team.

I'll update you accordingly.

September 9, 2024 at 4:51 pm #16157918

martinM-117

Hello,

Do you have any update for me? Its few weeks already, so would love to know how the compatibility team goes, as this feature is litle bit crucial and to do it manually is not very feasible with consideration how many internal link do we have.

Thank you
Regards
Martin

September 10, 2024 at 6:36 am #16159402

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Our team is working on this and they have done some testing around it. However, I'm still waiting for some information. I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back.

September 22, 2024 at 7:20 pm #16206786

martinM-117

Hello,
Im sorry to bother you, but my subscription is ticking out and another 2 weeks passed by. I would love for one of WPML core features to work properly.
Its one of main reasons I decidet for this solution in the 1st place 🙁

Regards
Martin

September 23, 2024 at 6:35 am #16207458

Waqas Bin Hasan
Supporter

Thank you for your patience and cooperation, and, apologies for delay on this. I just checked and our team is still working on it. I am not sure how long it'll take but I've asked for some more information.

I'll get back to you as soon as I hear back.