Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client is experiencing issues with untranslated text in ACF fields on their website, including footer calls-to-action, hero section text, and link text in ACF fields, despite using memoQ for translation from English to French.
Solution:
We discovered that many of the ACF fields were set to 'Copy' instead of 'Translate', which prevented them from appearing in the translation editor. To resolve this, we adjusted the settings to 'Translate' for the necessary fields. Additionally, we added a custom XML configuration to ensure proper handling of these fields:

<wpml-config><br />  <custom-fields><br />    <custom-field action="copy-once">wp-link-text-field</custom-field><br />    <custom-field action="translate">side_by_side_button</custom-field><br />  </custom-fields><br />  <custom-fields-texts><br />    <key name="wp-link-text-field"><br />      <key name="*"><br />        <key name="label" /><br />      </key><br />    </key><br />  </custom-fields-texts><br /></wpml-config><br />We recommend updating the post after adding this configuration to see if the button link text appears correctly in the translation editor.<br /><br />If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, please check the <a href="https://wpml.org/known-issues/">related known issues</a> and confirm that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. If the problem persists, we highly recommend opening a new support ticket <a href="https://wpml.org/forums/forum/english-support/">here</a>.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Our next available supporter will start replying to tickets in about 5.64 hours from now. Thank you for your understanding.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Lauren 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Lauren.

Author Posts
July 9, 2024 at 3:02 pm #15921581

Chad Warner

I created a new post (hidden link) and added the Side by Side Block. When I went to translate it, I only saw the title; the Side by Side Block didn't show up (screenshot attached).

I made a change to the Legacy & Values page (hidden link), updated the page, then sent it to translation. When I edited it, the button didn't appear in the editor (screenshots attached); the fields above and below it did.

This is a development site, so feel free to create posts or do anything else you'd like to troubleshoot.

test post.png
legacy values translation.png
legacy values original.png
July 9, 2024 at 9:53 pm #15923490

Lauren
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: America/New_York (GMT-04:00)

Thanks for the additional information. For some reason, when I refreshed the group field, the button was set back to Copy, which would explain why it wasn't showing up in the translation editor. Many of the fields were set to copy. I went back and edited "test" post and inserted content for the fields that were set to Translate. I then went to WPML -> SEttings and in the Custom XML Configuration, I added the following:

<wpml-config>
  <custom-fields>
    <custom-field action="copy-once">wp-link-text-field</custom-field>
    <custom-field action="translate">side_by_side_button</custom-field>
  </custom-fields>
  <custom-fields-texts>
    <key name="wp-link-text-field">
      <key name="*">
        <key name="label" />
      </key>
    </key>
  </custom-fields-texts>
</wpml-config>

Lastly, I edited Test post and updated the button link text. Now, when I save the page, I can edit the translation and see the link text. I can also translate the link url if I use the search and type in http.

Please test adding this custom xml configuration, updating the post and then let's see if the button link appears in the translation editor.

July 10, 2024 at 2:50 pm #15928763

Chad Warner

Thanks. I can now see the Side by Side Block when I translate hidden link. However, I still can't see the button field when I translate hidden link. Several times I changed that text in English, saved the page, sent it to translation, and looked for it, then canceled the job and tried again. I could never get the button field to show.

July 11, 2024 at 5:27 pm #15936878

Lauren
Supporter

I saw the same when I tried to edit it from the page edit. I followed these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Go to WPML -> Translation Management -> Translation Jobs and cancel the in progress job. If there is no in progress job, continue to the next steps.
2. Edit the default page. Make any small change and update the page.
3. Go to WPML -> Translation Management and send this page to the translation basket. Tick the checkbox, scroll down and click translate, then you will see the translation basket tab.
4. Click the translation basket and send the page to yourself as a translator.
5. Go to WPML -> Translations and take and translate the page. Save the translation 100% and then let's see if the correct content shows.

July 11, 2024 at 8:43 pm #15937725

Chad Warner

Thanks, that worked. Should we also now be able to send this page to a translation service (such as memoQ)?

July 11, 2024 at 9:16 pm #15937784

Lauren
Supporter

Yes, everything that shows in the translation editor should also be included in the XLIFF file when it is sent to the translation service. Just make sure they complete or cancel any previous jobs for the same page before you resend it.

July 15, 2024 at 1:57 pm #15954871

Chad Warner

Thanks. I think we're all set, but I'm waiting for the site owner to confirm.

July 16, 2024 at 2:47 pm #15961244

Lauren
Supporter

Okay great, just let me know if the issue returns and we can further troubleshoot as needed.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.