This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

I installed WPML and I received a white screen.

Solution:

In this particular situation, the client was having the "Polylang" plugin activated while he was trying to also install WPML. After he disabled it and activated WPML, he did not receive the white screen anymore.

It is not recommended to run multiple multilingual plugins at the same time on a WordPress setup.

Also, it is important to make sure that your server is meeting the minimum WPML requirements so that our plugin runs well on your site: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by stephanieR-9 1 year ago.

Assigned support staff: Mihai Apetrei.

Author Posts
September 28, 2018 at 4:31 am

stephanieR-9

Installed WPML Multilingual CMS 4.07 and get a white screen on entire site plus the wp-admin. So, I uninstalled WPML.

Please help.

September 28, 2018 at 4:20 pm #2774410

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi and thank you for contacting WPML Support!

I will be happy to help you with this.

This can be caused by multiple reasons.

I will need you to please enable the WordPress debug log. This will allow us to see if any PHP errors are being produced. More Info: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

In order to do that, edit the wp-config.php file inside your WordPress directory and insert the following lines:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Browse to the page with the issue and/or reproduce the issue.

Locate the debug log in: /wp-content/debug.log

Paste the latest lines here. No need to paste the entire log file, just 50 lines or so will do. Please censor any sensitive information.

Also, be sure you are running the latest WordPress and WPML version, and that your other plugins and themes are updated too.

You can check our documentation to see if you meet all the WPML minimum requirements: https://wpml.org/home/minimum-requirements/

You can also try this test:
- backup your site
- disable all plugins except WPML and WPML addons
- switch to a default theme like TwentySeventeen
- check if the issue is happening again
- if it's not, reactivate your plugins one by one, checking every time if the issue shows up again
- lastly, reactivate your theme

Let me know how it goes and if you need more help.

September 28, 2018 at 6:50 pm #2774685

stephanieR-9

in the debug log there are no lines since 2016... I thought you guys were going to use the login credentials that I provided to help me install your software ?????

26-Oct-2016 08:32:08 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPLikeBoxWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:32:08 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPPagePluginWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:32:09 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPLikeBoxWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:32:09 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPPagePluginWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:39 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPLikeBoxWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:39 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPPagePluginWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:40 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPLikeBoxWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:40 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPPagePluginWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:41 UTC] PHP Warning: copy() expects parameter 1 to be a valid path, object given in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-content/plugins/mpc-massive/panel/extra/page-installer.php on line 134
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:41 UTC] PHP Warning: unlink() expects parameter 1 to be a valid path, object given in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-content/plugins/mpc-massive/panel/extra/page-installer.php on line 135
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:41 UTC] PHP Warning: unlink(/nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-content/uploads/mpc_templates/about_agency.zip): No such file or directory in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-content/plugins/mpc-massive/panel/extra/page-installer.php on line 140
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:53 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPLikeBoxWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:53 UTC] PHP Notice: The called constructor method for WP_Widget in SFPPagePluginWidget is deprecated since version 4.3.0! Use <pre>__construct()</pre> instead. in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3767
[26-Oct-2016 08:35:54 UTC] PHP Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /nas/content/live/greenhostit/wp-content/plugins/seo-internal-links/seo-links.php on line 112

September 28, 2018 at 10:24 pm #2774923

stephanieR-9

Hello?

September 29, 2018 at 6:41 pm #2775753

stephanieR-9

I have verified that I am running the latest WordPress and WPML version, and that my other plugins and themes are updated too.

When I install WPML Multilingual CMS 4.07 my entire website plus the wp-admin back end shows a white screen.

I have already provided the login credentials that you requested. I also provided a Duplicate .zip of my website and provided you the link to Drop Box.

Please assist.

October 1, 2018 at 3:21 pm #2778635

Mihai Apetrei
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Europe/Bucharest (GMT+03:00)

Hi.

The main reason that was causing the white screen was that another translation plugin (Polylang) was active in the moment of WPML installation and setup.

I had to disable Polylang and for safety measures, I also deactivated WP rocket as it may conflict with WPML sometimes in the moment of the WPML setup. You can activate WP Rocket back after you finish the WPML setup.

In order to start the WPML setup, go to your site's backend (hidden link).

Please let me know if this solved the issue or if you still need help.

October 3, 2018 at 8:32 pm #2785713

stephanieR-9

My issue is resolved now. Thank you!