Skip Navigation

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 17 replies, has 3 voices.

Last updated by Alejandro 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

Assisted by: Alejandro.

Author Posts
March 18, 2024 at 3:26 pm #15422263

tannerT

NOTE: I have already tried to Delete all 40,000 of them within Media Cleaner Dashboard, upon the next scan - they all had returned!

I have never had success with WPML images and believe it is quite a "Left Behind" feature of WPML.

If you need to erase all "duplicated" images and regenerate, please feel free to do so.

I understand WPML does not "duplicate" and etc., so no need to explain - this is still 40,000+ of the SAME image and definitely something is going on.

Youtube URL: hidden link

March 19, 2024 at 4:38 am #15424032

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Kathmandu (GMT+05:45)

Hello there,

Welcome to WPML support. I'd be happy to help you with this.

It looks like the images are duplicated in the default language itself resulting in multiple image entries.

Does the duplication happen automatically or are there any steps that you think trigger the image duplication?

To debug this issue further, I would need to check your site settings once, for this I would need temporary access (wp-admin and ftp) to your site.

So could you please provide me with those details, you will find the needed fields for this below the comment area when you log in to leave your next reply.
hidden link

This info is private and available to you and WPML supporters only.
Read more about this: https://wpml.org/purchase/support-policy/privacy-and-security-when-providing-debug-information-for-support/

Note:
Backup your sites before providing the credentials or if possible provide credentials for the test site

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

March 19, 2024 at 4:55 pm #15427809

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello Tanner,

I am running the scan as of now, since the files are in large numbers it will take some time to scan, I will also need your permission to delete unused media, please confirm that you have a backup.

At the same time, I created a test site with the media cleaner plugin and tried to see what would be the situations when the images aren't deleted and re-created and I found the issues exist in the following scenario

- Upload an image in the default language
- WPML duplicates the images into all 5 languages
- Media Cleaner shows the images aren't used, same media is shown 5 times if there are 5 languages available
- If we only remove 4 out of 5, on the next media synchronization, it will duplicate the images into 4 remaining languages and this is normal behavior.

What's the fix, if we remove media from all languages the issue doesn't exist and it doesn't show up again.

Also, since there is a large number of files present on your site, there is a chance the delete process is halted or corrupted in between so you are facing issues as you mentioned.

I suggest you try in smaller batches if possible.

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

March 19, 2024 at 7:59 pm #15428720

tannerT

Hi Shekhar, although I appreciate the response I want to point out that we are a corporate level entity that has already tried much of what you have mentioned. Allow me to comment:

1.) I understand that WPML would duplicate an image into all 5 languages. Please see my original Youtube reference as well as my declarative that the SAME image is duplicated over 20,000-40,000+ times in some cases.

2.) I have mentioned that we successfully removed all of these images already. We did so over the span of 3 weeks, deleting and scanning 1000 at a time to confirm success. Restarting a scan will put this process in a loop when you could simply look at the Post ID's for the already scanned images.

Maybe it is the same image that get's caught in a loop from a specific originating page?

March 20, 2024 at 5:06 am #15429386

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I tried to run the scan and waited a long time, but it was timed out and the results were unsuccessful. Is there any way to only run this scan for some batches so I can test this forward?

I look forward to your reply.

Thanks

March 23, 2024 at 12:41 am #15442686

tannerT

We have provided a duplication of our site in an alternative ticket. Please use this

March 26, 2024 at 1:32 pm #15451597

tannerT

Hi,

the database + files of the website is provided in another ticket (https://wpml.org/forums/topic/lots-of-broken-links-when-switching-between-the-language/page/2/). I would like to provide the google drive link here too, please allow me a private message so I can send here too.

Need proper attention on this ticket.

March 26, 2024 at 1:57 pm #15451634

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

Enabled the private reply for you.

In the meantime, can you check with the plugin support to see if the scan and deletes can be done in smaller batches?

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks

March 26, 2024 at 2:09 pm #15451654

tannerT

Meow Apps responded with this

"You can use the filesystem scan mode and click on the button "create batch" and select a folder that has fewer media files so the scan takes less time if needed. Hope this helps."

March 27, 2024 at 8:29 am #15453892

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I have replicated the site on my local server and I am currently running the scan, it's taking a longer time locally too.

I will continue to check and will provide feedback as soon as I will have more info.

Thanks

March 27, 2024 at 10:55 am #15454948

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

Hello there,

I tried to run the plugin multiple times but due to the size of the images, it's not working, it's taking more than 3-4 hours to complete the scan and in the end it's stuck.

Being so, I tried to delete a few once that were added and decided to wait to see if they are listed again and the results are negative, I haven't re-runed the sync, that can be a reason too.

Since we aren't the one developing the plugin, it will be very hard for me to make this work unless they help or provide a way for it. I hope you understand this.

I found a similar ticket from the past where there was a suggestion to remove duplicated media using SQL so I suggest you to follow this to see if it works. Remember, this is not something properly tested so I wouldn't not recommended you to run these actions without a backup.
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/delete-all-duplicated-media/#post-15450196

Let me know if this helps.

Thanks

March 27, 2024 at 1:33 pm #15455849

tannerT

Just forwarded this over to Meow Apps, please wait their response

April 3, 2024 at 1:26 pm #15478664

tannerT

This may be relative to the substantial issue in another ticket that has been drug out for 7 days, so just dropping a note here to NOT close this ticket

April 5, 2024 at 11:20 am #15487661

Shekhar Bhandari
Supporter

hello there,

Sure, I will be off until April 17, so if you need urgent help, I suggest you open a new ticket and reference this one if needed.

Thanks

April 5, 2024 at 1:41 pm #15488375

tannerT

Noted, thank you!

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.