Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:

How to translate Hongo Theme footer added with the section builder.

Solution:

- Go to "WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration (Tab)".

- Add the code below:

<wpml-config>
  <admin-texts>
    <key name="theme_mods_hongo">
      <key name="hongo_footer_section"></key>
    </key>
  </admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

- Go to "Section Builder > Add New".

- Add a new Footer using the builder and name it English Footer.

- In the screen of the Section Builder disable the Use WPML's Translation Editor option.

- On the pop up choose This Section Builder.

- Click the + or pencil icon there for the other language translation.

- You will be redirected to the other language version and you can either add the footer from scratch or copy it from the original language by clicking the Copy content from ... button.

- From the address bar of your browser check the URL when you are in the second language of the Section Builder and write down the post ID for later use. For our example, it was 25.

- Go to "Appearance > Customize > Header and Footer > Footer > Footer Section" and select the English Footer and publish the settings.

- Go to "WPML > String Translation > admin_texts_theme_mods_hongo" and translate the page ID there.

For example the current page ID there is 20 for English. We need to add 25 (The one that we wrote down) here for Spanish.

Check the screenshots attached to this answer:

https://wpml.org/forums/topic/hongo-theme-custom-footer-using-section-builder-not-translating/#post-6740035

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Christopher Amirian 3 years, 8 months ago.

Assisted by: Christopher Amirian.

Author Posts
July 31, 2020 at 5:56 pm #6717189

sharonB-6

-Tell us what you are trying to do?
Everything on our site is translating correctly except for parts of the Footer.

The site uses Hongo Theme (hidden link) which uses WPBakery Page builder.

Hongo Theme uses a custom post type called Section Builder (slug: hongobuilder) which is set to Translatable in settings.

The footer created in this Section Builder is the only thing left does that does not display translated text (although the menus in it do).

I can create the translation (English -> French) in both the custom post type or in the String Translation section of WPML but neither changes anything on the front end.

Any ideas?

August 2, 2020 at 1:38 pm #6721935

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Yerevan (GMT+04:00)

Hi there,

We might need to delve into details of the problem to be able to find the problem cause. At the moment there is a possibility that the issue is that the footer custom post type is set to Translatable - only show translated items option. Please kindly go to WPML > Settings > Post Types Translation > Find the custom post type in a question and set it to Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to the default language.

We strongly suggest that you backup your website completely for the next step. You can find good backup plugins in the WordPress plugins repository:
https://wordpress.org/plugins/tags/backup/

Please go to WPML > Support > Troubleshooting (Link) and click the Fix post type assignment for the translations button.

If the problem persists we will need more information for troubleshooting. I am going to create a minimal WordPress and WPML installation and I’ll ask you to install the theme on that installation so that we can test the outcome to see if it is a compatibility issue or something related to your environment.

Thank you.

August 3, 2020 at 2:31 pm #6727143

sharonB-6

Thanks for your assistance but unfortunately that did not solve the issue.

I changed Section Builder from 'Translatable - only show translated items' to 'Translatable - use translation if available or fallback to default language' and clicked 'Fix post type assignment for the translations' but there were no issues:

'No errors were found in the assignment of post types.'

August 4, 2020 at 6:05 am #6730855

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for the feedback. I created a minimal WordPress/WPML installation and I'm going to give you details in a private message.

Please kindly use the information and install your theme on that WordPress installation and try to add the footer using the same method that you used so that we can investigate the problem.

Thank you.

August 4, 2020 at 3:03 pm #6735025

sharonB-6

I've installed Hongo theme with all the required plugins.

I've created a basic page, a product and the footer using the Section Builder.

I have good news and bad news.

The default footer for the site is set in Appearance -> Customize -> Header and Footer.

The good news is that I was able to figure out that creating a second footer within the Section Builder in Spanish will work when selecting that footer directly in the Spanish Translation for a page.

The bad news is that there are parts of the site that this does not work. The following link is a Woocommerce product category Spanish translation that does not have a way to pick which footer to use.

hidden link

I tried setting the translation in String Translation but that doesn't seem to work either.

Thoughts?

Thanks

August 5, 2020 at 10:07 am #6740035

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

Thank you for the installation. I have found a method to fix the issue. You can check the installation now and see that it is working correctly.

Please follow the steps below:

- Go to WPML > Settings > Custom XML Configuration (Tab).
- Add the code below:

<wpml-config>
  <admin-texts>
    <key name="theme_mods_hongo">
      <key name="hongo_footer_section"/>
    </key>
  </admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

The code will make sure the Footer Section option of the Appearance > Customize is available for translation in String Translation.
- Go to Section Builder > Add New.
- Add a new Footer using the builder and name it English Footer.
- In the screen of the Section Builder disable the Use WPML's Translation Editor option. (disable.png)
- On the pop up choose This Section Builder. (popup.png)
- This way you will be able to have the editor for the other language.
- Click the + or pencil icon there for the other language translation.
- You will be redirected to the other language version and you can either add the footer from scratch or copy it from the original language by clicking the Copy content from ... button. (copy.png)
- From the address bar of your browser check the URL when you are in the second language of the Section Builder and write down the post ID for the later use. For our example, it was 25. (id.png)
- Go to Appearance > Customize > Header and Footer > Footer > Footer Section and select the English Footer and publish the settings.
- Go to WPML > String Translation > admin_texts_theme_mods_hongo and translate the page ID there. For example the current page ID there is 20 for English. We need to add 25 (The one that we wrote down) here for Spanish. (id-translate.png)

Thank you.

id-translate.png
copy.png
popup.png
disable.png
August 6, 2020 at 7:50 pm #6752089

sharonB-6

I have added in the custom XML and followed the steps you listed but it is not listing the 'admin_texts_theme_mods_hongo' string in String Translations. It does not add it to the domain dropdown on that page either.

I have tried switching the footer in the Customize Footer dropdown section but nothing seems to create that string.

Anything else I can try?

One thing to note is that I'm using a child theme on the site, called Hongo Child, if that makes any difference.

EDIT:
As soon as I wrote that about the Child Theme I updated the Custom XML to reflect that.

<wpml-config>
<admin-texts>
<key name="theme_mods_hongo-child">
<key name="hongo_footer_section"/></key>
</admin-texts>
</wpml-config>

That works perfectly and the translation now shows up correctly.

Thank you very much!

August 9, 2020 at 7:32 am #6763213

Christopher Amirian
Supporter

Hi there,

Awesome! So I'd appreciate it if you could set this ticket as resolved.

Thank you.

This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.