Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
The client needed assistance with translating BuddyBoss Group Types using WPML.
Solution:
1. Navigate to WPML > Settings > Custom Field Translation and click on "Show system fields".
2. Locate the fields as shown in the provided screenshot here https://wpml.org/forums/topic/buddyboss-group-type-translation/#post-15380730 and set them to "Translate".
3. When editing a Group in the WordPress Editor, ensure the correct Group Type is selected in the right sidebar.
4. Switch the language using the top admin bar and verify that the translation uses the translated Group Type.

If this solution does not resolve your issue, or if it seems outdated or irrelevant to your case, we encourage you to check the related known issues and confirm that you have the latest versions of themes and plugins installed. If necessary, please open a new support ticket for further assistance.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Andreas W. 6 months, 1 week ago.

Assisted by: Andreas W..

Author Posts
February 27, 2024 at 8:52 pm #15351315

babakB

This is to continue with support ticket https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translate-buddyboss-group-types/#post-15322584 with Andreas W.

February 27, 2024 at 9:31 pm #15351380

Andreas W.
Supporter

Languages: English (English ) German (Deutsch )

Timezone: America/Lima (GMT-05:00)

Hello,

As you can see in my last comment, I managed to translate those labels on my test site:
https://wpml.org/forums/topic/translate-buddyboss-group-types/#post-15322584

I would like to offer to have a closer look at the problem and request temporary access (wp-admin and FTP) to the website to investigate this issue further.

You can find the required fields below the comment section when you log in to leave the next reply. The information you provide is private, which means only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please be sure to make a backup copy of the website and database before allowing us access.
If you can't see the wp-admin / FTP fields, your post and website credentials are set as PUBLIC. DO NOT publish the data unless you see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

The private response form looks like this:
hidden link

Next time you reply, click "I still need assistance."

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are obliged to request this information individually on each ticket. We may not access any access information not specifically submitted on this ticket in the private response form.

Best regards
Andreas

February 29, 2024 at 3:22 am #15356234

Andreas W.
Supporter

I am writing to you to let you know that I am still looking into this issue and I will contact you tomorrow.

February 29, 2024 at 11:58 pm #15360696

Andreas W.
Supporter

The workflow that allowed me to translate those labels about a week ago on my test site appears not to work on your site. This might be related to a specific setting, as I can confirm that it does not work on your site, even when I deactivate everything apart from WPML and our addon.

I would like to run another test from scratch to replicate the issue and take further internal steps.

Could you please do me the favor and activate Buddy Boss on the following test-site, so that we can run another test?

One-Click-Login:
hidden link

Also, please import your Buddy Boss settings at Buddy Boss > Tools.

Please leave me a quick comment on this ticket, once Buddy Boss is activated on this test site.

March 1, 2024 at 12:01 am #15360697

Andreas W.
Supporter

The issue here seems to be that the Swedish Group Types do not have any Groups assigned.

See screenshot.

Sadly we can not add one Group Type for each language, as the groups can not be set to "Translatable".

groups.png
March 1, 2024 at 5:38 pm #15364340

babakB

That's exactly the problem. The group types already have groups assigned to them in the primary language. The same groups should be assigned to them when translating the group types to other languages. It this not doable?

Do you still want me to activate buddyboss on your test site?

March 1, 2024 at 6:48 pm #15364552

Andreas W.
Supporter

No, this seems currently not possible, as we can not translate the groups.

If you set the Group Type in one language, then it will be deleted in the other language.

It appeared to me as if on my first test site on our first ticket about this issue II had a working solution, but this test site is sadly expired and on the new test site I could not find a way to make it work.

I will escalate the issue to our second-tier support so that they can look into it and determine if we might add a new feature to BuddyPress Multilingual that would allow the translation of groups as a post type.

I would be thankful if you could activate BuddyBoss on the test site.

Once I receive feedback from the team I will contact you again.

March 6, 2024 at 4:08 pm #15380730

Andreas W.
Supporter

Hello,

I want to provide you with a possible solution for this issue:

Go to WPML > Settings > Custom Field Translation and click "Show system fields" under the section's title.

Now search the fields you see on the attached screenshot and set them to "Translate".

You will now be able to assign different Group Types to each Group in each language.

When editing the Group in the WordPress Editor make sure that in the right sidebar, the correct Group Type is set. Then switch the language in the top admin bar and make sure that the translation uses the translated Group Type.

Please let us know if this will not solve the issue.

Best regards
Andreas

image2.png
March 16, 2024 at 10:26 pm #15417563

babakB

Thank you so much Andreas! You always solve the hardest of problems! Have a nice weekend! /b

March 21, 2024 at 9:33 pm #15438370

Andreas W.
Supporter

The "slug" is the part of the URL. It has to be written in lowercase letters and you can use a hyphen to connect two or more words.

See the screenshot as an example.

image3.png
March 21, 2024 at 10:02 pm #15438434

Andreas W.
Supporter

This is the Classic Translation Editor Interface displaying the translation of a group type.

You might not see this interface, as you translate the group types with the WordPresd Editor.

Further, you might see the Advanced Translation Editor instead, once you enable the WPML Translation Editor as the translation method for your Group Types.

I would be happy to offer to take a closer look and would like to request temporary access (wp-admin) to the website to investigate the issue further.

You will find the required fields below the comment area when you log in to leave the next reply. The information you provide is private, meaning only you and I can see and access it.

IMPORTANT
Please be sure to make a backup copy of the website and database before granting us access.
If you cannot see the wp-admin / FTP fields, your post and website login details will be set as PUBLIC. DO NOT publish the data unless you see the required wp-admin / FTP fields.

The private reply form looks like this:
hidden link

Next time you respond, click “I still need assistance.”

Video:
hidden link

Please note that we are required to request this information individually on each ticket. We may not access any access information that was not specifically submitted on this ticket in the private response form.

babakB confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-03-16 22:26:34.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.