Skip Navigation

This thread is resolved. Here is a description of the problem and solution.

Problem:
You are trying to use automatic translations with WPML on your site, but titles are not automatically translating. You are also interested in automating the use of translations already available in your translation memory without needing to click "Translate automatically" for each line.
Solution:
1. Titles such as accordion titles are available in the Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) for translation. If a translation for a sentence like "What are good risk communication approaches?" from English to German is available, our system applies the translation content from the translation memory.
2. To translate a sentence automatically, you can edit the sentence in ATE and click on Translate automatically. Alternatively, you can edit the page in the English language, make a small change to the title, save the post, and then update the translation page.
3. The translation memory is used automatically without any settings. If you modify a translation manually in German, for example, the last change will be saved to the translation memory. If the same sentence appears elsewhere on your site, it will be translated into German with the last change from the translation memory without using credits.
For more details, refer to the documentation on how WPML keeps track of your translations.

If this solution does not apply to your case, or if it seems outdated, we recommend opening a new support ticket. We also highly recommend checking related known issues at https://wpml.org/known-issues/, verifying the version of the permanent fix, and confirming that you have installed the latest versions of themes and plugins. For further assistance, please visit our support forum at WPML support forum.

This is the technical support forum for WPML - the multilingual WordPress plugin.

Everyone can read, but only WPML clients can post here. WPML team is replying on the forum 6 days per week, 22 hours per day.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices.

Last updated by Long Nguyen 2 weeks, 1 day ago.

Assisted by: Long Nguyen.

Author Posts
September 17, 2024 at 12:45 am #16185750

michaelV-60

Background of the issue:
I am trying to use automatic translations with WPML on my site hidden link. I have looked through the forums but haven't found a solution yet.

Symptoms:
Titles are not automatically translating.

Questions:
Why are titles not automatically translating when using WPML?

September 17, 2024 at 6:34 am #16186236

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Languages: English (English )

Timezone: Asia/Ho_Chi_Minh (GMT+07:00)

Hi Michael,

Thank you for contacting WPML support, I’m happy to help you with this issue.

As I can see on your site, the page title is translated into the second language as well, check the attached screenshot.
If it isn't the title, can you please share some screenshots of the issue so I can understand it better?

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

Bauleitungs-Software | SafetyCulture 2024-09-17 13-33-10.jpg
September 17, 2024 at 6:48 am #16186262

michaelV-60

Thanks for your help Long

This is an example of the site where this is happening:
hidden link

Attached in the screenshot include where the titles are not translating

Look forward to your response, thanks!

Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 4.47.00 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-09-17 at 4.46.10 PM.png
September 17, 2024 at 8:00 am #16186702

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

As I can see they are the accordion title, and they are available in Advanced Translation Editor (ATE) for translation as well.
It is not translated automatically because the translation for the sentence "What are good risk communication approaches?" from English to German is available and our system applied the translation content from the translation memory.

Refer documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

If you want to translate a sentence automatically, you can edit the sentence in ATE > Click on Translate automatically, check the attached screenshot.
Or edit the page in English language > Make a small change to the title > Save the post > Update the translation page.

Looking forward to your reply.
Thanks

Advanced Translation Editor - WPML 2024-09-17 14-57-47.png
September 18, 2024 at 5:42 am #16191073

michaelV-60

Thanks Long

Is there a way of automating the use of the translations already available in our translation memory without the need to click "Translate automatically" for each of these lines?

Cheers

September 18, 2024 at 6:43 am #16191142

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

The translation memory is used automatically without any settings. For your site, it matches the last translation of the sentence:
English: What are good risk communication approaches?
German: What are good risk communication approaches?

You can modify the German translation to another, for example:
"What are good risk communication approaches? - DE"

and save, then create a new post in English and add the same sentence, translate it to German and see how it works.

I hope that makes sense.

September 19, 2024 at 5:14 am #16195939

michaelV-60

Hi Long

Just to make sure I am understanding correctly, are you saying that if we have manually corrected an automatic translation that this would be saved? And this is reason we need to request for the automatic translation for that specific line

Thanks

Screenshot 2024-09-18 at 3.22.57 PM.png
September 19, 2024 at 6:33 am #16196116

Long Nguyen
Supporter

Hi,

Yes, for example: the sentence is translated automatically according to your screenshot
- English: FAQs about Risk Communication
- German: FAQs zur Risikokommunikation

If you modify the translation in the German language manually:
- German: FAQs zur Risikokommunikation 12345
then the last change will be saved to the translation memory.

If you have the same sentence on another page or somewhere else on your site, it will be translated into the German language with the last change "FAQs zur Risikokommunikation 12345" from the translation memory without using credits.

This is how translation memory works: the last change will be saved. Refer documentation https://wpml.org/documentation/translating-your-contents/how-wpml-keeps-track-of-your-translations/

Thanks.

September 19, 2024 at 6:38 am #16196135

michaelV-60

Ok understood, thanks Long

michaelV-60 confirmed that the issue was resolved on 2024-09-19 06:38:05.
This ticket is now closed. If you're a WPML client and need related help, please open a new support ticket.